Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I agree to some extent, however if you choose to live in the desert than you need to realize your living in a desert.

I would liken diverting our water would be similar to saying we should all pay to help rebuild people's houses who choose to live near the ocean after a hurricane.

You want to live on the beach I don't blame you the water is beautiful, however I'm not going to pay to fix your house after a hurricane comes.
And flood zones. That gets me angry. Sure live in one if you want, but don't expect to be bailed out when your home is washed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 02:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
whether you like it or not, we ALL pay for natural disaster repair through higher insurance rates, among other things that we all have to pony up after those things happen; watch how your insurance rates go up this year after last summers hurricane events.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
whether you like it or not, we ALL pay for natural disaster repair through higher insurance rates, among other things that we all have to pony up after those things happen; watch how your insurance rates go up this year after last summers hurricane events.
Are you trying to predict a disaster possible in the southwest in growing to the point it runs into MAJOR water issues? That the Great Lakes region should let water PREVENT this disaster that we then all will pay for?

A better solution is not let growth just spiral up if no logical and no cost effective means to increase the southwest water supplies .... I for one rather the FRUIT, VEGETBLE and VINEYARDS of California GET WATER TO KEEP OUR FOOD COST FROM SKYROCKETING FIRST.

It's still too great a distance and only Lake Michigan is entirely in the US. But its shares a straight with Lake Huron that maintains each their balanced levels and geologically is as one lake. Canada still never would give a OK. Case closed .....

Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Great outlook, buddy. Wish death upon innocent, fellow countrymen? You're not related to Stalin by chance, are you?

Should those of us in the West wish you all died in floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, or simply be frozen to death? Natives lived and thrived here in the Southwest long before we came along. How is that "uninhabitable"? Our climate is more survivable than yours.

Yeah, Phoenix should not exist. Riiiiiight. I guess you should wipe out Jerusalem, Dubai, Johannesburg, Abu Dhabi, all of Australia, etc, too? I mean, they are desert environments, too.

If we can put men on the moon, travel at supersonic speeds, launch missiles hundreds of miles from their targets with pinpoint accuracy, have self-driving cars, etc, we can surely move water.

Wildfires are a part of life, yes. But theyre dealt with. And any idiot knows wildfires bring forth new life, not destroy things permanently.
The Great Lakes are why the Great Lakes states are predicted to be very powerful in the future....

Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The Great Lakes are why the Great Lakes states are predicted to be very powerful in the future....
you mean like when melting ice and rising seas put Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Honolulu under water?

Yep, I agree with you.

my only disagreement is, at this point, whether "the future" actually exists.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
We can do all of those things. But we don't need to do all of those things, for there is a much simpler solution: the people living in the southwest should move. Short of developing teleportation technology, water would need to be shipped by vehicle over long distances. And even if you got your water consumption down to 20 gallons/day (and you can't, short of not bathing regularly), that is ridiculously expensive.

Don't know if you realize this: but you guys, even with your conservation efforts, consumer more H2O per capita than Midwestern urban areas do. Because it's hot. And water is needed to hydrate and cool things.

Contrary to any claim you have made, living in a temperate to subtropical climate with plenty of water is most conducive to human habitation. The history of civilization shows this to be true as these are the areas with the most dense patterns of settlement dating back thousands of years. Sure, Native Americans have lived in the desert southwest for a long time. The Innuit have lived in Artic environments as well.

Being able to scale civilization in various environments is important.
It's probably less of an example of "should" as "will".....for they will leave Phoenix either by moving out or dying. There is no way that the heat engine you will see in place within a decade or two will support human and most other forms of life. Nothing can be done to stop it: Phoenix becomes unlivable when heat rises beyond the human body to survive it and later in the century, no matter what we do, Miami will be totally under water.

But this is America, so it's fine and ok to ignore that and say "It'll never happen."

Old 01-27-2018, 10:44 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There is no way that the heat engine you will see in place within a decade or two will support human and most other forms of life. Nothing can be done to stop it: Phoenix becomes unlivable when heat rises beyond the human body to survive it and later in the century, no matter what we do, Miami will be totally under water.

But this is America, so it's fine and ok to ignore that and say "It'll never happen."
Its understandable why you have such a morbid, fatalistic mindset; living in Chicago long term will do that to you..

Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Its understandable why you have such a morbid, fatalistic mindset; living in Chicago long term will do that to you..
Thanks. Love every minute of it. Fantastic city. We are truly blessed.

You realize, I know Chicago is going to be hit very hard with what is coming; every place will. I'm not sure where you get the notion I'm being morbid or fatalistic. I don't feel I am being pessemistic; I feel I am being realistic (I realizeyou disagree). At this point, wade, you can be in as much denial as you wish. It's happening. It's happening in real time. And it is. Going to be devastating. Of course, you'd have, like I do, great saddness for what we created which is destroying us. But no one needs to be depressed. Just keep livi g for the moment, do whay you can to make things better (never stop trying, no matter what the odds), and be good to each other. I realize a lot, undoubtedly most, do not she this as an emminant near term existential crisis, but many of usdo. We realize the damage has already been done. Does that mean I'm going to be critical of your opinion. We all end up crunching the numbers our own way as we face the biggest existential crisis in human history. It's true: nature bats last. And, for the record, I would be happy if you were right and I was wrong.

Last edited by edsg25; 01-27-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
you mean like when melting ice and rising seas put Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Miami, New Orleans, Houston, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Honolulu under water?

Yep, I agree with you.

my only disagreement is, at this point, whether "the future" actually exists.
Polar ice caps are currently thickening, bud.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Polar ice caps are currently thickening, bud.
I'm really happy for you, Big Cats; i'm sure you will enjoy those refeshing, soon-to-come Augusts with temperatures hovering in the upper 60's. And think what you'll save by being able to shut off the A/C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago