Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

I live downtown and I think the diversity is really underrated, actually. I would say just eyeballing it the downtown area is like 50-60% Caucasian and 50-40% minorities. Now, a lot of people are working or visiting, so they may not live downtown. But, that's my impression.

If you want to live in an area that is, say 30-50% black, that is a different and harder question. Even a lot of the areas that look diverse on paper are not really diverse, but just have different geographic characteristics/borders that make them present that way statistically.

Hyde Park, Rogers Park and Uptown may be exceptions to some degree. e.g., it may be possible in those areas to find apartment buildings that are, for instance, half middle-class black, half middle class other people etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 05:18 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,499 times
Is south shore a decent/ safe area?

Old 12-10-2018, 06:53 PM

Never mind. I looked up South Shore and won’t be going there! No wonder nobody mentioned it.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
Is south shore a decent/ safe area?
Quote:
Never mind. I looked up South Shore and won’t be going there! No wonder nobody mentioned it.
If Chicago ever manages to tie together two decades of solid growth (which I think 2030-2050 might have), South Shore will gentrify nicely. Other than current crime numbers, the only thing that's really a negative for it is distance to the Loop, but the Metra Electric service could be expanded if population called for it, reducing that issue. Proximity to the lake, decent density in the number of housing units, and quaint architecture in places give it great bones for gentrifying. It just needs demand, which will require sustained population growth in Chicago.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I live downtown and I think the diversity is really underrated, actually. I would say just eyeballing it the downtown area is like 50-60% Caucasian and 50-40% minorities. Now, a lot of people are working or visiting, so they may not live downtown. But, that's my impression.
Interesting to note the difference between residents vs. working/visiting. The residential population within a mile radius of Washington and Madison is about 70% Caucasian, out of almost 70,000 residents. The "daytime" population adds about a half a million more people. Nonetheless, there's some level of people visiting around downtown at all hours.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:48 AM

Off topic but why DONT Chicago apartments have dishwashers? I looked at a lot of apartment ads in a reasonable price under $1300 for a one bedroom and 90% didn’t offer a dishwasher.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Off topic but why DONT Chicago apartments have dishwashers? I looked at a lot of apartment ads in a reasonable price under $1300 for a one bedroom and 90% didn’t offer a dishwasher.
All the Chicago apartments I have lived in have had dishwashers. The first apartment I lived in was a modern luxury apartment (well over the $1300 price range), but my current apartment is under $1300 and has a dishwasher. Most of the apartments I looked at did.

There are a good amount of older apartments in Chicago, so maybe the area/ models in that area you are looking in don't have them, but this is not universal.

There are plenty of apartments in Chicago in that price range with dishwashers.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
I've noticed the same thing too. My guess is because most buildings in Chicago are older, plumbing is an issue. Also, many floor plans are very strange, so there may not be room for a dishwasher.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:05 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Historically, Chicago became a port of entry for many cultures. Beyond Black/White you had further breakdown amongst ethnicities. Fresh off the Boat immigrants would go to the community where they could transition in the best, the language was spoken etc. It was generally further reinforced by the alderman of the area that would be part of that group...and the goto person you needed if things needed to get done.

So it held together a bit longer in that...to get away, you had to ensure you were assimilated enough. Plus...you might not be all that welcomed in someone else's neighborhood, regardless of race. As a neighborhood ages out, a new group may take it over and the originals would not be welcome. Call it early non-economic gentrification perhaps.

So for example, if you were Ukranian, you stayed east of Western Avenue in Ukranian Village. West of Western Avenue was Polish...or maybe it was Damen. By the time I lived near there, the Polish side had been overtaken and was mixed and you needed to go elsewhere for your pierogies.

At any rate, that's what helped start the segregation. Then everyone ran out of the city to the burbs and when people returned it became about gentrification. Don't care the race so much...you either have money, or you don't.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:24 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times
Quote:
Plumbing in older buildings is often inadequate to support a dishwasher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago