Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Even Dubai seems to want to mimic Chicago. Its tallest building in the world had SOM - Chicago's Skidmore Owens and Merrill. Trump Tower similarities with more scale and variations.

Dubai mimics the Chicago river and building or built its own Navy Pier. Bigger if course.
Is that a small airport in that last Dubai photo? I admittedly know very little about Dubai except that it has some really tall towers and abuses construction workers like slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
My favorite view, maybe anywhere, is from Pioneer Court overlooking the Chicago River to the southwest. The very definition of urban grandeur and if I may say (at least in my opinion) one of -- if not the -- best acute urban view in the country.
I agree. That view and the view south from Kinzie Bridge are some of the best urban views in the world.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
My favorite view, maybe anywhere, is from Pioneer Court overlooking the Chicago River to the southwest. The very definition of urban grandeur and if I may say (at least in my opinion) one of -- if not the -- best acute urban view in the country.
we have a lot to thank Daniel Burnham and the Burnham Plan and the grandeur it offered up between Wacker and the river. Magnificent. Could you even imagine the River Walk being what it is without that classical backdrop?

Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Is that a small airport in that last Dubai photo? I admittedly know very little about Dubai except that it has some really tall towers and abuses construction workers like slaves.
Its in a huge Harbor project under construction. What looks like a runway along the pier-type structure is being called - Skydive Dubai. Apparently, for a skydiving plane to take-off.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...marina-1.40945

The pier-type offshoot will have a hotel and mall and abstract lighthouse they are calling it at its tip and harbor entrance. Huge harbor around the harbor.

What the world's money for oil can buy and build. But they are building for the future oil can run out.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:16 PM

124 posts, read 108,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
yes. but also 10 times of more crowded. Chicago in the summer is a huge tourist magnet. That's great...but it does come at a price.
I beg to differ. I live on Michigan Ave and it's way more crowded on the streets in the winter than it is in the summer.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
I beg to differ. I live on Michigan Ave and it's way more crowded on the streets in the winter than it is in the summer.
The only time you will find me there is winter. And you will find me there a lot during that time!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 PM

700 posts, read 422,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
So I’ve been in Chicago as first time visitor for 3 days now. I wanted to let you guys know that Chicago is a very beautiful and great mega city! I love the diverse architecture, the beautiful skyscrapers and its density, how super clean and well maintained the city is, all the amenities and plenty things to see/do and friendly people! Shopping is excellent in this city - better than New York City! You have basically every single chain and non-chain stores, restaurants and department stores as well as shopping malls. In New York City you must go to the suburbs for certain chain stores, restaurants and bigger malls unlike in Chicago all in the city center! Things were reasonable prices.

Christkindlmarket was amazing! Feels like being at a Christmas market in Europe! Magnificient Mile, Michigan Ave, State St, etc. great streets! The area by Trump tower was extra beautiful with the river and architectural view. Lake Michigan and Willis tower nice view as well. I liked the Christmas lights and decorations everywhere nicely done. Chicago’s shopping streets is much nicer and cleaner than New York’s Fifth Ave to be honest. Chicago’s grid locked streets were easy to navigate.
Only thing that should have improved in Chicago is to have nicer bridges and nicer/newer public transportation (buses & trains).

Overall Chicago is one of my favorite cities... very nice loved it! I’ll be honest I like Chicago more than New York. New York is too congested and too dirty!
Just wanted to point out that this in fact a big lie (very lame on your part). But carry on! I also find it funny that you mentioned New York City as much as you mentioned Chicago in your review about Chicago (weird).

This is coming from someone who is also a big fan of Chicago.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:28 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Chicago was once a magnificent city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I do wish the CTA could do something about all the homeless people bugging us for money. Saturday I rode 5 different trains and on each one I had one bugging me for money. On two of them it was the same guy and when I told him I had nothing extra to give he said I was a liar then said it was gods day and if I lie I Die.

Then he continued to insist I give him money. After I finally managed to get him to move on he went and bothered everyone else on the car and again those who said they had nothing to give he said the same thing calling them liars and you lie you die. People should not have to put up with that when all they want to do is ride the train and get somewhere.
I was born in 1943; I lived in the Chicago area until 1967. This would never have happened in those days. The police allowed no bums east of the river. Skid Row was on the west side. The Loop was clean and safe; no one molested pedestrians. Panhandling on trains was unthinkable.

I'd love to do my Christmas shopping on the State Street of old, but not on the horror that it has become.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:36 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Happy in Wyoming, interestingly some people also point out how Mob/Outfit areas were the safest places to live, considering there were people that resided there that lived a life that would include danger!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Chicago was once a magnificent city.

I was born in 1943; I lived in the Chicago area until 1967. This would never have happened in those days. The police allowed no bums east of the river. Skid Row was on the west side. The Loop was clean and safe; no one molested pedestrians. Panhandling on trains was unthinkable.

I'd love to do my Christmas shopping on the State Street of old, but not on the horror that it has become.
They were called the good old days for a reason. And that applies to everything not just Chicago. I envy you for having been born back then.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:28 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Happy in Wyoming, interestingly some people also point out how Mob/Outfit areas were the safest places to live, considering there were people that resided there that lived a life that would include danger!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
This has always been thought to be the case in organized crime areas (of various ethnic groups). Outside criminals don't come into the neighborhood, and criminals from the community in the neighborhood will not bother or harm normal citizens as long as they do not interfere with anything. Thus, it made those areas very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago