Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I think that's all they can say. They're stuck with it and there is no solution. It's a *serious* problem. Quite literally huge piles of garbage all along nearly every street in front of every commercial building. I was there three weeks ago (lower Manhattan-- granted the streets are tighter than Midtown) and on two occassions had to cross the street to be able to walk down the sidewalk.

They can say it's charming, but New Yorkers know it's a serious problem. It stinks too. Not charming. Not even for a millisecond.
A lot of the former alleys in NYC became streets.

Quote:
Many former alleys have become streets. The Web site Forgotten New York has an extensive illustrated list of alleys or former alleys in Lower Manhattan and Greenwich Village below the grid, as well as in the four other boroughs.
https://ny.curbed.com/maps/secret-st...ys-hidden-mews

Alleys - Forgotten New York

Old 12-17-2018, 11:08 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Happy in Wyoming, good for you in your isolation. I work in the Loop every day, and Chicago in my opinion is far more magnificent than in 1967, particularly the Loop and Michigan Avenue. I think the Hancock was finished in 1969 and the Sears Tower in 1974. You are sadly mistaken about your ideas about Chicago since you haven't lived here for an astounding 51 years, more than many people have been alive. The west Loop back then was skid row, instead of new and rehabbed housing, home to the McDonald's Corporation, and chic restaurants; State Street is far from a horror, the only thing that I don't like is Macy's replacing Marshall Fields, but it is bustling with students and shoppers; the south Loop was desolation instead of sleek high rises and beautiful townhomes and McCormick Place; North Michigan must have been asleep without Water Tower Place and the Hancock. The Loop is clean and safe, and panhandling on trains happens in every city that has mass transportation. I have never seen any molested in the Loop, BTW.

Millennium Park was railroad tracks, and Lake Shore Drive was a dangerous "S" curve. Things always look better back in the good old days; but for the Loop and the north side, these are the good old days.
Yes and to go back to the 70s early 80s .... fahgetaboutit. I remember those hideous "War if the World's" fluorescent a state St street lights in the 70s yet ..... But I still can't believe the Ole Carson Pierre Scott store is a Target now.
Attached Thumbnails
My impression of Chicago after first time visit-70s-state-st-hideous-street-lights  

Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Chicago is my absolute favorite city! I try to go most years around my birthday (a week before Christmas)--in fact, this past weekend of last year, I took my wife there for her first trip. I've been 15+ times for work/fun; both driving the 13 hours straight and flying as well. Now, I always fly up on a weekend and use the CTA "L" and buses. For some reason, my stupid Ventra card wasn't working this past time. I heard they've had lots of issues, so I have about 20 or 30 bucks on there that I couldn't use last time.

My usual weekend routine is lunch at the original Uno downtown for pizza after I arrive, followed by walks/shopping down Michigan Ave., a stop at the Lincoln Park Zoo, and I'll throw in different stuff each trip too. Lunch one day in Chinatown, a visit to the Adler or Field Museum, Millenium Park, a walk through some of the Northside neighborhoods, and dinner at a great steakhouse at least one night. (Lawry's was last year; fantastic!) I also hit up different bars. I really like the Big Bar at the Hyatt Regency, and the Signature on the 95th at the Hancock. We went to both of those last year, and we checked out the Redhead Piano Bar, but it was so hot and crowded in there, we coudln't even get to the bar to get drinks. Next time I want to try Blue Chicago. We did the architectural boat tour, and it was a blast as well! Of course, I had to take her to the Sears Tower (it's always going to be the Sears and not the Willis to me). I ran her all over the city in the 2.5 days we were there. I had to show her everything.

I always love coming the week before Christmas when the city is decorated and hope for snow. Living in the South, we never get it, so I come to Chicago often to get my fix. Christmas just feels different there. Since we couldn't make it up there last weekend, we're looking to fly up for a Cubs game in the spring. Writing this makes me sad since I can't be up there this year. I'm already looking for flights to book for our next weekend up.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I remember those hideous "War if the World's" fluorescent a state St street lights in the 70s yet .....
I actually liked those old fluorescent streetlights. First time I ever saw downtown Chicago was when I was a wee four-year-old (1965) and what I remember most are those lights and Marina City, which was new at the time. My mom and I were taking a Greyhound bus from Cleveland to Iowa at the time (going to visit my uncle on his farm), and mom took me for a walk in downtown Chicago during our layover there.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:24 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I actually liked those old fluorescent streetlights. First time I ever saw downtown Chicago was when I was a wee four-year-old (1965) and what I remember most are those lights and Marina City, which was new at the time. My mom and I were taking a Greyhound bus from Cleveland to Iowa at the time (going to visit my uncle on his farm), and mom took me for a walk in downtown Chicago during our layover there.
Oh wow, my memory at 4-ish .... is merely my rocking horse then .... with springs and they made noise and I got it to move across the hardwood for giving it the giddy-up-go.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Happy in Wyoming, interestingly some people also point out how Mob/Outfit areas were the safest places to live, considering there were people that resided there that lived a life that would include danger!- Master Jay in Milwaukee
I lived in Riverside; Cicero is a short drive. My mother shopped there. We all went out to dinner at Nicky's MGM Lounge, best of the Mafia eateries. Cicero had hardly any crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
They were called the good old days for a reason. And that applies to everything not just Chicago. I envy you for having been born back then.
Those were better days. That's why I live in Wyoming; except for the cars, it's very similar.

Quote:
Happy in Wyoming, good for you in your isolation.
?????
Quote:
I work in the Loop every day, and Chicago in my opinion is far more magnificent than in 1967, particularly the Loop and Michigan Avenue. I think the Hancock was finished in 1969 and the Sears Tower in 1974. You are sadly mistaken about your ideas about Chicago since you haven't lived here for an astounding 51 years, more than many people have been alive. The west Loop back then was skid row, instead of new and rehabbed housing, home to the McDonald's Corporation, and chic restaurants; State Street is far from a horror, the only thing that I don't like is Macy's replacing Marshall Fields, but it is bustling with students and shoppers; the south Loop was desolation instead of sleek high rises and beautiful townhomes and McCormick Place; North Michigan must have been asleep without Water Tower Place and the Hancock.
There were three skid rows. West Madison was the big one. State between Van Buren and Harrison along with Clark north of the river had plenty of normal businesses as well.

I have no interest in office and apartment buildings. Chicago was once famous for museums and other cultural centers.

Quote:
Tthe Loop is clean and safe, and panhandling on trains happens in every city that has mass transportation.
No, it does not.
Quote:
I have never seen any molested in the Loop, BTW.
The last time that I was in the Loop there were panhandlers everywhere. They molested anyone who looked vulnerable.

Quote:
Lake Shore Drive was a dangerous "S" curve.
I loved the "S" curve; we all did.
Quote:
Things always look better back in the good old days; but for the Loop and the north side, these are the good old days.
Having seen both, I'll stand by the old days.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:12 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
Happy in Wyoming, nowadays different types of gangs are in Cicero. The houses are vandalized, shootings, no respect for someone's child being killed in the crossfires. It's a different type of gang-mentality. If it's fair to pick the "lesser of 2 evils" I think what you experienced was safer, cleaner, and less violent for the commoner.- Sincerely, Master Jay in Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago