Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:27 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Yeah, I'll concede that what you state is true. But from what I've seen in the media, Chicago isn't mentioned nearly as much of a millennial draw as the other high-tech cities I mentioned. Unfortunately most news on TV re: Chicago is in regard to the high murder rate.

I think what the other poster was referencing is that Chicago isn't seen as a technology hub. There is a marked difference when I was there. Most companies I worked with...sold products. They usually were in business....to make money. They got loans from banks that...wanted to be repaid, or investors that expected a return on their capital. The people that worked there...did jobs and were accountable for certain things and to each other. Titles were shorter than announcing the mother of dragons.

I hope Chicago cherishes her rough and tumble reputation. It's actually quite valuable. It keeps a lot of would be plunderers and cheats thinking twice before attempting to setup there. Sadly there 0% concern here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I'd call Chicago regressive in terms of politics.
Absolutely. Just look at our city and state financial situations as well as the fact that one party has had a political monopoly for God knows how long here and that tells you all you need to know about so called Chicago "progressivism."

Old 06-13-2019, 04:00 AM

9 posts, read 6,384 times
Hmm. I have a huge circle of friends and almost all of them were born and raised here (we are in our 40's,most with upper income corporate jobs in many fields.) A few are from Detroit suburbs. I think Chicagoans grow their roots strong and deep.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
So now that Illinois has legalized weed, individual municipalities are voting on whether they want to have dispensaries in their city limits.

From my social media feeds and the news stories I see, a lot of Chicago suburbs (even educated ones) are vocally resisting it, despite the economy clearly needing the tax revenue. I have seen much less resistance out here in the West - not only in metropolitan areas but even in small roadside towns - and I think this confirms the general sway of this thread.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
^ Better for Chicago as it will capture more sales and more tax revenue.

Old 10-01-2019, 12:28 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
So now that Illinois has legalized weed, individual municipalities are voting on whether they want to have dispensaries in their city limits.

From my social media feeds and the news stories I see, a lot of Chicago suburbs (even educated ones) are vocally resisting it, despite the economy clearly needing the tax revenue. I have seen much less resistance out here in the West - not only in metropolitan areas but even in small roadside towns - and I think this confirms the general sway of this thread.
Not necessarily. Apparently, in California, 300 of its 482 municipalities have also banned the sale of weed. I think you'll find more cash strapped municipalities in Illinois that will jump onboard.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ty-ban-1506494

Although also keep in mind that Illinois has the most layers of government of any state in the country...

Old 10-07-2019, 05:41 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
I don't know why people think Chicago is this progressive city. Chicago is all about old-school corruption and racism. It is what it is.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:23 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I don't know why people think Chicago is this progressive city. Chicago is all about old-school corruption and racism. It is what it is.
I don't know if I'd go that far but there are certainly some uncomfortable roadblocks to calling Chicago a progressive city. For all the "Hate has No Home Here" signs which have righteously sprouted up throughout the North Side and in ritzy nearby suburbs over the past few years, we still have Community Areas which are 90%+ poor African-American and racked by gang violence. That does not seem to be changing.

Until our good progressive liberal people start moving into these neighborhoods and setting up homes and businesses there, I'd say Chicago will be more a city-of-some-affluent-progressive-communities, as opposed to a "progressive city" per se. IMO. No amount of weed shops and socially conscious organic craft breweries in wealthy communities is going to change that.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:29 AM

774 posts, read 2,497,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don't know if I'd go that far but there are certainly some uncomfortable roadblocks to calling Chicago a progressive city. For all the "Hate has No Home Here" signs which have righteously sprouted up throughout the North Side and in ritzy nearby suburbs over the past few years, we still have Community Areas which are 90%+ poor African-American and racked by gang violence. That does not seem to be changing.

Until our good progressive liberal people start moving into these neighborhoods and setting up homes and businesses there, I'd say Chicago will be more a city-of-some-affluent-progressive-communities, as opposed to a "progressive city" per se. IMO. No amount of weed shops and socially conscious organic craft breweries in wealthy communities is going to change that.
To be sure, though, you can say that about New York, San Francisco or any other large city. Very few affluent people move into lower income neighborhoods with the intent to live *with* the existing residents. They might move there to *replace* existing residents via gentrification so that a low income neighborhood eventually turns into a high income neighborhood, but it’s certainly not to create a utopia of truly mixed racial and socioeconomic groups.

And look - I’m not saying that I’m above all of that, either. I consider myself to be a socially progressive person, yet does where I choose to live reflect that? Does where I choose to send my kids to school reflect that? Do my purchases reflect that? Does anyone that lives in Manhattan, Palo Alto, Beverly Hills, or Lincoln Park actually *live* like a progressive regardless of how much their political beliefs might be progressive? We’re really the flip side of the populist voters that support the current White House (where progressive economic policies might clearly help those voters compared to the current administration, but they’re actually voting more on social and cultural issues).

Essentially, pretty much all of us are hypocrites in the sense that, when push comes to shove, we generally do what’s best for our families (whether it’s to find better schools or lower crime). I recognize that saying that I’m pro-choice or in favor of LGBT equality is “easy” for me because those stances don’t really impact my own socioeconomic standing or well-being. I also want to see better public schools in urban areas... but am I willing to have my own kids attend or be bussed to those urban schools (where getting more affluent students into lower income schools has generally shown to be more important for school quality than funding itself)? Well, that’s a hard choice for even the most progressive person. Even the progressives that are willing to take a chance on a downtrodden neighborhood often eventually draw the line when it comes to the education of their children (because the more educated that you are, the more likely that you’re going to understand how critical school quality is to advancement). That’s the case that we see over and over again whether it’s in Chicago, NYC, SF, LA, DC or anywhere else.

Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Exactly everything the govt has done recently has hurt the working and middle class who are being taxed out of their homes, the gas taxes are hurting anyone who has to drive significant distances for a living, the excessive (often nonsensical) regulations hurt employment. This is all coming from the Democratic party that ridiculously asserts itself as the party of the working people. The only thing progressive about the Illinois government is that it is making things progressively worse for residents here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago