Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM

440 posts, read 1,503,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Special announcements:

Bike re(Cycle) Chicago

"Bring your used bikes to Chase's West Lakeview branch at 3335 N. Ashland
on Saturday, May 3 and Sunday, May 4 between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. All donated bikes will go to Working Bikes Cooperative, a volunteer-run organization dedicated to recycling bikes, supporting biking in Chicago and helping local and international projects in need of bikes."

Click the link for more info.

City of Chicago
Working Bikes takes bikes Year around, so if you want to donate a bike and miss the above dropoff date, don't worry:

Drop-off Locations | Working Bikes

Actually, if you just drop the bike off at 1125 S. Western, they'll get the idea, and if somebody steals it before they open, well, that was kinda whole idea in the first place.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Anyone else have anything to add? sigh

Old 04-20-2008, 04:09 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,622 times
Quote:
Anyone else have anything to add? sigh
I hope more people are recycling than is indicated by the no. of responses to this thread. We all have to do it, particularly in the U.S.

On top of recycling, being mindful of the amount of trash, recyclable or not, is another serious consideration.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
One Earthday a year is hardly going to solve all the problems. I'm not sure I'd agree that teachers are better than the average person, though I did read once that more women than men recycle (This was a few years back, so this could have changed) and there are more women teachers (esp. elementary and middle school ones) than men.

I just found out today that Westmont has an ordinance requiring all apartment complexes to have recycling. Mine doesn't so I'm going to go over there this weekend and talk to them about it.
That is cool that you are going to check that out. What did they tell you?
Btw-all Apartment buildings in Chicago that have more than 4 units(and are not served by city garbabe pick up) are required by law to recycle with a hauler or have a seperate program. How many actually do is up for debate.I do not think the city is writing the violators tickets either. If Mr. Daley was serious about being a "green" mayor and having a "green" city he would get on this.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:33 PM

My last apt building had 60 units, no recycling.

I hate to sound old, but I remember the first "Earth Day'. I was in college and no one went to class and everyone walked around the parks. Real activists, huh.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
My last apt building had 60 units, no recycling.

I hate to sound old, but I remember the first "Earth Day'. I was in college and no one went to class and everyone walked around the parks. Real activists, huh.
I made this thread without a thought to Earth Day. I think it is important everyday. It just so happens Earth Day fell within days of me making this thread.

It is funny these Earth Day "celebrations"... All the garbage they produce... I wonder how much of the waste from these events is recycled or is recyclable!?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I made this thread without a thought to Earth Day. I think it is important everyday. It just so happens Earth Day fell within days of me making this thread.

It is funny these Earth Day "celebrations"... All the garbage they produce... I wonder how much of the waste from these events is recycled or is recyclable!?
I pretty much forgot about "Earth Day" since the first one and only "remembered" it this year when my younger daught came home from school and said, "It's Earth Day."

That's a good point about waste from the event.....it's the plastic that kills me, though. So much of it with all our packaging. And, the "paperless society" with computers? I can only say that I never bought REAMS of paper (printer) before the computer. There are fewer magazines, etc., though.

Then there's electronics, disposable diapers....the "old" ways definitely produced less waste. I wonder if people would ever consent to going back to returnable glass bottles for soda and milk, cloth diapers, etc......

Do office buildings recycle? Are they required to?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Thanks for reminding me Avenger... the weather has been nice and I have been lazy- but I am going to talk to them when I get back from my road trip this weekend.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:34 PM

45 posts, read 169,446 times
I'd love to recycle, but my 4-unit building has no recycling and I don't have a car.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
I'd love to recycle, but my 4-unit building has no recycling and I don't have a car.
Maybe you should talk to the landlord and your neighbors. Perhaps you can work something out. That is if you are serious about recycling...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago