Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

Dude,

As a resident of Humboldt Park, commercial banker and real estate investor I know more about Humboldt Park, Logan Square, West Town, Hermosa, Cragin, East Garfield Park, West Garfield Park, Lawndale than most ever will.

I go running in the park regularly and do much of my drinking at the California Clipper and the Continental. I routinely walk on nice days to get my hair cut at Migdalia's just east of north and kedzie. I have walked all the streets north of division at all hours of the day over the past 3 years (I find it is the best way to get a feel for RE by walking the neighborhoods on nice weather nights and talking with the residents about changes they have seen).

I know Diversey is the dividing line between Logan and Avondale. I stated that the area doesn't really change much between grand (you could argue division) and diversey. North of there it becomes more eastern European.

The Paseo Boriqua is in West Town. Look it up on the 77 Chicago Neighborhood Map.

Your life seems to revolve around the blue line and the L. I don't get this at all. There is nothing poor about public transportation with lots of major bus lines.

Augusta is 4 blocks south of Division. Eevee and I stated that north of division it isn't Lilcoln Park, but it is livable.

HUMBOLT PARK DOES NOT GO WEST TO WESTERN.

By the way there are 2 flags, one by Calfornia and one by Western.

No way the western part of Humboldt Park is nearly as bad as Lawndale. East Garfield Park might be comparable if you include areas south of division.

Remember, Eevee and I live in the northern part of Humboldt, which is far nicer and safer than the southern parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post

...The Paseo Boriqua is in West Town. Look it up on the 77 Chicago Neighborhood Map...
Humboldt Park-the neighborhood is in two communities. The communities of West Town AND Humboldt Park.

The 77 official map by the City of Chicago is a map of communities not neighborhoods. They are two different things.

The Paseo Boriqua is in the neighborhood of Humboldt Park in the community of West Town.

And apparently you live in the neighborhood of Humboldt Park in the community of Humboldt Park.

How many times does this need to be explained?

No offense btw.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM

Here is a nice story from the area. 3300 block of West Potomac Street
2 slain in Northwest Side drive-by shooting -- -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/blotter/chi-humboldt-shootings-web-may07,0,7458908.story?track=rss - broken link)

I am not trying to badmouth the area. But people must be aware that danger still exists in HP.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM

51 posts, read 263,069 times
Default Humboldt Park (as Of June 2008)

Humboldt1, Sorry I did not get your back about the neighborhood and the misperceptions ...as usual...I dropped off the site for a bit because I got a bit frustrated trying to debate on the state of Humboldt Park, West Town, East Humboldt, West Wicker and the general 'West of Western' stigma, to people on this site who have been insistent on holding on to age-old neighborhood stereotypes. And while folks can foster the apprehension, people are buying here and making more bang for their buck! These are the folks who will be smiling at those who did not invest earlier in these hoods. BTW, two SFH (one gut, and one brand new) just sold for 750K and 829K respectively on the block. Its people who actually immerse in the neighborhood, a little bit more than a passing visit, who truly see the changes I have seen in 5 years of living here.
Are there still issues? Sure. Are we there yet? No. But wow, it is on its way. Just look at the CLEARMap stats and compare to other neighborhoods, including hoods further East to see a marked difference. Progress not destination...yet. One off newspaper headlines don't tell the complete story (RE: two homicides WEST of the Park last month). If you are intimidated by ethnicity then this neighborhood (East Humboldt) is not for you. But if you are fine with a diverse neighborhood, with growing community accountability and involvement, with people white, black, and brown walking their dogs, jogging, playing bags on a nice summer day...dont' take my word for it...come see.

To the OP, pls choose a neighborhood, any neighborhood you choose to make your home, on a lot more factors than color dynamics...you will be a lot 'freer' then. Let's rise above that...
Also OP, East of Kedzie, and hence the park, has different charecteristics (with consistent deviation) than what we traditionally consider Humboldt Park. Regardless of where the parade starts.
Sorry again I missed the whole discussion.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM

Default PhlGd

Thanks for getting back with me. Let's have coffee and discuss some properties I am looking at buying near your block.

I agree having an L would help and this is why I have been focusing on Armitage and Western as well as California and Fullerton to buy as well.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Thanks for getting back with me. Let's have coffee and discuss some properties I am looking at buying near your block.

I agree having an L would help and this is why I have been focusing on Armitage and Western as well as California and Fullerton to buy as well.
I believe both of those locations are wise choices.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 4,149 times
move to east or west rogers park-you can find anything you want ,at alices restaurant-doe doe doe to much crime,especially to women in humboldt park-too many gangbangers-too many crooked cops-some areas humboldt park ok-if you have roommates.lots of burglaries. move to my area-california to western--peterson to devon---most ethnically diverse-extremely more tolerant-- i am white-my black friend comes over to visit at all hours to my house in residential area-over the years only got hassled once,by the cops(who are more tolerant now in my area) We have mixed race couples that live on my block,very neighborly friendly,never had incidents of overt racism around here that i'm aware of in years. We do have some gangbangers around Green Briar Park(Talman&Peterson),but they are minimumly seen and we have great neighborhood watch.Gays have lived in my area for years in peace,low vandalism low grafitti,high Indian&Asian immigration-you can live here in peace man-we have black white,jewish,indian,asian,mexican,eskimos -families,singles calm area

Old 06-08-2008, 09:26 AM

Default avengerfire

What do you think of West Town (humboldt park neighborhood near augusta and rockwell. No L but great housing stock and not too far from the metra stop.

That last post after yours was very tough to understand. Complete sentences make posts much more coherent. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Man shot dead near 800 N. Trumbull

Humboldt Park man fatally shot Friday morning -- chicagotribune.com

Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
2 slain in Northwest Side drive-by shooting -- -- chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/blotter/chi-humboldt-shootings-web-may07,0,7458908.story?track=rss - broken link)
"One of the victims, Luis Ortiz, 29, suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was pronounced dead at 12:44 a.m. at Mt. Sinai Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office."

Fatal gunshot wound to the leg? That's a nasty bullet, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago