Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:22 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
World class =/= more known, necessarily

Chicago, as a well rounded city, is still more world class than DC, as a well rounded city, which you yourself have just admitted it's largely only known/cared about because "that's where the capitol is". I agree DC could be seen as world class, but if you seriously think the level of nightlife, dining, culture, character, dynamic, and so much more in DC is on par or higher than Chicago on a "world class" level, I'd have to laugh at you. Yes, a lot of government monuments and government jobs are in DC, as well as a recent influx of tech jobs. But I'd still say Chicago has a great diversity of different kinds of jobs, monuments, and features that on the whole, make the city itself more world class.

The Chicago skyline is still the most known skyline of all U.S. cities outside of NYC and maybe LA. Just because the Sears Tower isn't the tallest anymore doesn't really mean anything, though I would say there's a good chance foreigners at least recognize it if you showed them a photo of it.
The government jobs stereotype of DC is a little overblown when looking at the greater DMV region, but inside the beltway the presence of government jobs and related culture is pretty big. There is a larger presence of government workers in that region than you will find anywhere else (i.e. if you live in the DC region, you will know someone working for the federal government).

It’s also a stereotype that you have to be wealthy to live in DC. There is a healthy middle class, but like everywhere else the percentage of truly wealthy people is small. That was evident during the last government shutdown when you saw furloughed crowds of DC federal employees lining up at food banks and trying to get substitute teacher jobs during the shutdown, which was a little over a month. The fear and panic about finances that you see throughout the year from federal workers in DC around potential shutdown times, show that few are truly wealthy.

Chicago offers a more traditional big-city feeling than DC, and rightfully feels a lot bigger in terms of scale. However, DC is a nice city that keeps evolving. It just depends on what you’re looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:33 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
I'm just sharing my imagery of our city, the special essence I get from Chicago:

I've used "unique" a lot to describe Chicago. And I do think it is a city like no other, a special place. When people compare Chicago to New York, to suggest that it is some kind of miniature version of New York, we bristle.

But I think we bristle for reasons that have nothing to do with insecurity or anything second city-ish. I think our buttons get pushed because we don't see ourselves like New York, we have no desire to be New York or any other city for that mater. That what we have is unique.

There is nothing like Chicago. Not even remotely. And if unique is being used, Chicago belongs in that category every bit as much as places like Boston, New Orleans, San Antonio, or San Francisco.

Our uniqueness runs through our neighborhoods, but I would like to concentrate on the core of the city, the greater downtown area:

There is something about the place that is incredibly special, an environment it creates like no other. The setting for Chicago could not have been better than what we have. This may sound strange and counterintuitive, but bear with me...

Chicago rises above an inland sea to its east. Our core is like no other, arguably globally. Its rise along open waters is unique in the sense that coastal areas never build their cores directly on the roughed coasts....no downtown area can be exposed to such a locale. So of the world's great skylines, when it comes to open water, the only one that I can think of that has that type of meeting of land and water is Toronto.

East is the lake. The other three sides of city spread out from the core to the north, west, and south. Flat as a board. The skyline looms over the landscape. It towers above all. In this most centralized of all American cities, the core comes across as the Emerald City. Flat and gridded is so much about what the character of the city is. It is interconnected, it flows. And it flows towards the center.

Downtown Chicago, IMHO, is in a locale that is pure Chicago, everything about it is Chicago. No place like it. Let me explain: Our core is bordered only by other portions of Chicago and a lake that we cannot see across. Chicago is all about Chicago. I would concede that both Manhattan and San Francisco, an island and peninsula respectively, offer the most identity within their confines, being a place apart.

But in both Manhattan and San Francisco, the views bring areas outside of the city into the mix. Manhattan has no other another city but another state across the Hudson. Manhattan stares directly across the East River from Manhattan. And in todays's NY/NJ, Manhattan is not the only thing that sticks out...Brooklyn and Jersey City do as well.

Downtown SF may be removed from any neighboring cities, but the topography and geography place areas around the bay into the view from San Francisco...so the hills and mountains across the Golden Gate in Marin are part of the SF landscape, as are the Berkeley Hills that line the horizon in East Bay.

In Chicago, it is the city itself that takes full center stage, rising over its own flat neighborhoods with no view of anything past city limits.

Add to this the platform that is the flatness of the lake coming west from the lake: lake, beach, park, towers, a unique setting for a big city. And the platform works so well because it is aligned on one side by the lake and that the river gores through it.

To me, there is no place like this.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The government jobs stereotype of DC is a little overblown when looking at the greater DMV region, but inside the beltway the presence of government jobs and related culture is pretty big. There is a larger presence of government workers in that region than you will find anywhere else (i.e. if you live in the DC region, you will know someone working for the federal government).

It’s also a stereotype that you have to be wealthy to live in DC. There is a healthy middle class, but like everywhere else the percentage of truly wealthy people is small. That was evident during the last government shutdown when you saw furloughed crowds of DC federal employees lining up at food banks and trying to get substitute teacher jobs during the shutdown, which was a little over a month. The fear and panic about finances that you see throughout the year from federal workers in DC around potential shutdown times, show that few are truly wealthy.

Chicago offers a more traditional big-city feeling than DC, and rightfully feels a lot bigger in terms of scale. However, DC is a nice city that keeps evolving. It just depends on what you’re looking for.
I agree, DC also has become a serious player in the tech field, and is definitely moving beyond the reputation of strictly being only about government. The city has definitely changed a lot even over the past decade alone. Still, I'd probably put it right behind Chicago and SF in terms of "world class" rankings, but I would definitely consider it world class; and it certainly is upping its reputation every single passing year it seems.

And I agree, Chicago is more a New York esque kind of city; way more high rise driven and focused, while DC is kind of its own beast. I didn't mean to belittle DC here, I just wouldn't say it's above Chicago in terms of world class rankings, which it sounds like smegmatite and some others on this forum are trying to imply.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm just sharing my imagery of our city, the special essence I get from Chicago:

I've used "unique" a lot to describe Chicago. And I do think it is a city like no other, a special place. When people compare Chicago to New York, to suggest that it is some kind of miniature version of New York, we bristle.

But I think we bristle for reasons that have nothing to do with insecurity or anything second city-ish. I think our buttons get pushed because we don't see ourselves like New York, we have no desire to be New York or any other city for that mater. That what we have is unique.

There is nothing like Chicago. Not even remotely. And if unique is being used, Chicago belongs in that category every bit as much as places like Boston, New Orleans, San Antonio, or San Francisco.

Our uniqueness runs through our neighborhoods, but I would like to concentrate on the core of the city, the greater downtown area:

There is something about the place that is incredibly special, an environment it creates like no other. The setting for Chicago could not have been better than what we have. This may sound strange and counterintuitive, but bear with me...

Chicago rises above an inland sea to its east. Our core is like no other, arguably globally. Its rise along open waters is unique in the sense that coastal areas never build their cores directly on the roughed coasts....no downtown area can be exposed to such a locale. So of the world's great skylines, when it comes to open water, the only one that I can think of that has that type of meeting of land and water is Toronto.

East is the lake. The other three sides of city spread out from the core to the north, west, and south. Flat as a board. The skyline looms over the landscape. It towers above all. In this most centralized of all American cities, the core comes across as the Emerald City. Flat and gridded is so much about what the character of the city is. It is interconnected, it flows. And it flows towards the center.

Downtown Chicago, IMHO, is in a locale that is pure Chicago, everything about it is Chicago. No place like it. Let me explain: Our core is bordered only by other portions of Chicago and a lake that we cannot see across. Chicago is all about Chicago. I would concede that both Manhattan and San Francisco, an island and peninsula respectively, offer the most identity within their confines, being a place apart.

But in both Manhattan and San Francisco, the views bring areas outside of the city into the mix. Manhattan has no other another city but another state across the Hudson. Manhattan stares directly across the East River from Manhattan. And in todays's NY/NJ, Manhattan is not the only thing that sticks out...Brooklyn and Jersey City do as well.

Downtown SF may be removed from any neighboring cities, but the topography and geography place areas around the bay into the view from San Francisco...so the hills and mountains across the Golden Gate in Marin are part of the SF landscape, as are the Berkeley Hills that line the horizon in East Bay.

In Chicago, it is the city itself that takes full center stage, rising over its own flat neighborhoods with no view of anything past city limits.

Add to this the platform that is the flatness of the lake coming west from the lake: lake, beach, park, towers, a unique setting for a big city. And the platform works so well because it is aligned on one side by the lake and that the river gores through it.

To me, there is no place like this.
"We" don't bristle. Many of us love the city, and could care less what other people think or what people compare it to. "We" don't bristle because we don't feel the need to have to always validate Chicago. We know it's a great city!

Old 06-15-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
"We" don't bristle. Many of us love the city, and could care less what other people think or what people compare it to. "We" don't bristle because we don't feel the need to have to always validate Chicago. We know it's a great city!
fair enough. and the fault is mine.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:12 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:

I found this article interesting regarding the middle class in DC.

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/ne...220318083.html

Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
This is probably true, but I don’t understand the obsession with super-talls.
I think only a few people are truly obsessed with super talls. I was just saying that the Sears Tower probably became less globally iconic in the era of Burj Khalifa, Taipei 101, and the Petronas towers, not to mention the many new ones going up in China. It doesn't really stand out as much anymore.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I think only a few people are truly obsessed with super talls. I was just saying that the Sears Tower probably became less globally iconic in the era of Burj Khalifa, Taipei 101, and the Petronas towers, not to mention the many new ones going up in China. It doesn't really stand out as much anymore.
Ah, gotcha. Yes, I agree. With all of the new global super-talls, the Sears Tower definitely is not as iconic as it once was. It is not even very “tall” when compared to the list of super-talls. I believe it is now the 22nd tallest building in the world. Although, I do still like it’s look and proportions. It actually looks like a solid building. Some of the really skinny, odd looking super-talls just look really odd to me, lol.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Yes, I agree. With all of the new global super-talls, the Sears Tower definitely is not as iconic as it once was. It is not even very “tall” when compared to the list of super-talls. I believe it is now the 22nd tallest building in the world. Although, I do still like it’s look and proportions. It actually looks like a solid building. Some of the really skinny, odd looking super-talls just look really odd to me, lol.
Sears Tower does have an honor it won’t ever lose: the last US building to be the world’s tallest

Old 06-17-2019, 06:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Sears Tower does have an honor it won’t ever lose: the last US building to be the world’s tallest
That much is almost certainly true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago