Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:49 PM

504 posts, read 497,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Ironically I feel that living in downtown Oak Park or Evanston (the lively suburbs) would have more of an urban vibe than living in a neighborhood like Ravenswood. The actual boundaries of the city of Chicago are massive which is somewhat different than Seattle as a city. Literally you can live on the northside of Chicago and be 30+ minutes drive from downtown Chicago. On the flip side you can live on the southside of Chicago which touches the Indiana state line!

6 miles from the core of Seattle puts you in the suburb of Bellevue, WA. 6 miles from the core of Chicago puts you someplace like Graceland West (top of Southport Corridor).
The downtowns in Oak Park/Evanston are pricier than OPs budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
The downtowns in Oak Park/Evanston are pricier than OPs budget.
I also would like to know what the OP means by "hipster" and "beta." Chicago is going to be pretty much as bourgeois and progressive as the coastal cities in the toniest areas, especially in places like Evanston and Oak Park. Bridgeport and other historically working-class neighborhoods might better suit the OP's desire for Midwest masculine men (that's my impression of their desired type).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Also dating. Most of the guys in this area are very hipster or have beta type personalities which is not what I am used to, nor what I like. If you meet a guy who lives in Seattle they will want you to travel to Seattle every time you meet and will not want to leave the city, which I find a little weird. I prefer men who are much more rougher around the edges!

Old 08-08-2019, 09:34 PM

944 posts, read 1,212,057 times
Yeah, I think it depends on what the OP wants from a dating scene. There's a socio-economic factor at play... anywhere in Chicago that skews upper middle class will be filled disproportionately with educated and/or high income guys who largely self sort into hipster or nerd/gamer subcultures. If you want a guy who is very into traditional gender roles or performative acts of cultural conservatism like loudly proclaiming their love of red meat, you likely need to consider dating down the socio-economic latter somewhat from where you seem to be. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's true enough for me to throw it out there.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:15 AM

1,080 posts, read 839,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
Lincoln Park is a good option
For "rough around the edges" and $900-1300 for a 1br? I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city for those parameters.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 AM

1,080 posts, read 839,073 times
I would look at Humboldt Park, Pilsen, and Bridgeport.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,187,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Yeah, I think it depends on what the OP wants from a dating scene. There's a socio-economic factor at play... anywhere in Chicago that skews upper middle class will be filled disproportionately with educated and/or high income guys who largely self sort into hipster or nerd/gamer subcultures. If you want a guy who is very into traditional gender roles or performative acts of cultural conservatism like loudly proclaiming their love of red meat, you likely need to consider dating down the socio-economic latter somewhat from where you seem to be. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's true enough for me to throw it out there.
I'm not sure that's the most accurate description. I would guess most people that self sort into a hipster or nerd/gamer subculture are more likely to be found in places like Pilsen, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, and maybe even Bridgeport.

She may find more "type A" personalities, sure, in blue collar professions, but also in professions like finance, accounting, consulting, engineering, lawyers, doctors or sales/marketing or maybe even some tech roles. I'd probably say this group would self sort into Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, South Loop, West Loop, Bucktown/Wicker Park, North Center, and Lincoln Square.

Of course, some of these groups may overlap neighborhoods from each of the above paragraphs, but it kind of mirrors what I've seen in my experience.

Given the OP's preferences to be in more of a suburban setting, the suggestions on Evanston and Oak Park may have a blend of type A and type B personalities.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:41 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,858,499 times
My daughter has a decent studio in Ravenswood for $1,000/month.

But I agree, not sure that's the best neighborhood for someone wanting an active social life. It's more laid back, surprisingly lots of families.

Rougher around the edges with stuff to do, while still staying in/near the city at that budget. Maybe try Philly?

In Chicago, that might be Bridgeport, Avondale, West Town/East Humboldt?

Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
My daughter has a decent studio in Ravenswood for $1,000/month.

But I agree, not sure that's the best neighborhood for someone wanting an active social life. It's more laid back, surprisingly lots of families.

Rougher around the edges with stuff to do, while still staying in/near the city at that budget. Maybe try Philly?

In Chicago, that might be Bridgeport, Avondale, West Town/East Humboldt?
Yes, Chicago definitely has plenty of blue collar culture mixed. The problem is, as you mentioned, the nightlife isn't as prominent, although that might be fine. Lots of people like more low-key social stuff (local bars/ hangouts). The neighborhoods you mentioned are a good place to start. I would also throw in the Tri-Taylor/ University Village/ Little Italy / Near West Side/ maybe even gentrified parts of Pilsen. Edgewater may also fit the bill.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:32 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'm not sure that's the most accurate description. I would guess most people that self sort into a hipster or nerd/gamer subculture are more likely to be found in places like Pilsen, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, and maybe even Bridgeport.

She may find more "type A" personalities, sure, in blue collar professions, but also in professions like finance, accounting, consulting, engineering, lawyers, doctors or sales/marketing or maybe even some tech roles. I'd probably say this group would self sort into Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, South Loop, West Loop, Bucktown/Wicker Park, North Center, and Lincoln Square.
Completely disagree. You've got hipsters, nerds, and gamers all over the city. There are so many 20-something "gaymers" on the north side that it might blow your mind.

I think I'm pretty "type A," but I am hardly "rough around the edges," as the OP put it. You're a lot less likely to find me at a dive bar than at a River North club. I wouldn't be caught dead in an 'Irish' tavern. Despite my somewhat conservative bent, I imagine the OP would consider me a so-called "beta." But, she hasn't expanded on it, so I don't really know what she means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yes, Chicago definitely has plenty of blue collar culture mixed...Edgewater may also fit the bill.
You must be joking?

Old 08-09-2019, 02:32 PM

944 posts, read 1,212,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post

idk

I work in finance, this is probably the best place to find a real type-A, ex-frat type. You seem to be correlating "alphaness" with income, but I know plenty of lawyers and doctors and tech/engineering types and they aren't at all stereotypical dudes. I also don't know that Lincoln Square or North Center really work that well, aren't those areas increasingly families?

As to Ravenswood for someone wanting a social life... you can walk to Lakeview from Ravenswood and it only takes like 35 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago