Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:52 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,921,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post

You must be joking?
Can you ever reply maturely to anything you disagree with???

Edgewater borders Uptown and Rodgers Park. In my original post, which you deleted 90% of to misquote me, I didn't say Edgewater was blue collar. I said "Edgewater may fit the bill." It's an area that may have good amount social-life options, but also close enough to areas that may be a little rougher around the edges. Reading comprehension...try it for once!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,199,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
idk

I work in finance, this is probably the best place to find a real type-A, ex-frat type. You seem to be correlating "alphaness" with income, but I know plenty of lawyers and doctors and tech/engineering types and they aren't at all stereotypical dudes. I also don't know that Lincoln Square or North Center really work that well, aren't those areas increasingly families?

As to Ravenswood for someone wanting a social life... you can walk to Lakeview from Ravenswood and it only takes like 35 minutes.
I'm not correlating with income so much as the type of people I've met in each profession in my social circle. Most of the hipsters I've met are significantly more chill or passive, but like most people posting on this thread, it's anecdotal. I've met some that are very proactive when it comes to their hobbies and the like, but the way many of them I've seen interact with people is a bit more relaxed.

North Center and Lincoln Square are more families, but among the age group in references to the OP's first post, more people I've known from those neighborhoods fit in the category I stated.

Hiruko, I did state in my previous post that the groups from each paragraph overlap in the neighborhoods, so I do not believe it's as segregated as the way you quoted me sounds. You left off the subsequent paragraph. I agree, hipsters vs. the people I called type A are all over. I'm just stating where I saw more of each.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:33 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,589,255 times
The OP has barely lived in Seattle and has apparently lived all over the USA. They haven't been back here to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Can you ever reply maturely to anything you disagree with???

Edgewater borders Uptown and Rodgers Park. In my original post, which you deleted 90% of to misquote me, I didn't say Edgewater was blue collar. I said "Edgewater may fit the bill." It's an area that may have good amount social-life options, but also close enough to areas that may be a little rougher around the edges. Reading comprehension...try it for once!!!!
I'm stunned that Edgewater would even be mentioned, or Uptown and Rogers Park. How much time have you spent in these CAs? Do you know a lot of people living there? Because the 20s & 30s population of those communities seems to me to be precisely what the OP does not want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
idk

I work in finance, this is probably the best place to find a real type-A, ex-frat type. You seem to be correlating "alphaness" with income, but I know plenty of lawyers and doctors and tech/engineering types and they aren't at all stereotypical dudes. I also don't know that Lincoln Square or North Center really work that well, aren't those areas increasingly families?

As to Ravenswood for someone wanting a social life... you can walk to Lakeview from Ravenswood and it only takes like 35 minutes.
More like the majority of them.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 843,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I'm not sure that's the most accurate description. I would guess most people that self sort into a hipster or nerd/gamer subculture are more likely to be found in places like Pilsen, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, and maybe even Bridgeport.
Those neighborhoods, because they are gentrifying, have *some* of that population, but (with the possible exception of Logan Square) still have plenty of "rough around the edges." Fully gentrified places like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, River North, etc. are going to have very little roughness left at all. It's going to be mostly upper middle class (and above) metrosexual type dudes in those areas.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 PM

944 posts, read 1,215,932 times
yeah I was going to say most lawyers and doctors I know are big into the whole r/malefashion thing even if they aren't politically left wing. Yuppie men in 2019 throw all their money into buying $500 sneakers and foodie culture

Old 08-24-2019, 04:23 AM

73 posts, read 94,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Ironically I feel that living in downtown Oak Park or Evanston (the lively suburbs) would have more of an urban vibe than living in a neighborhood like Ravenswood. The actual boundaries of the city of Chicago are massive which is somewhat different than Seattle as a city. Literally you can live on the northside of Chicago and be 30+ minutes drive from downtown Chicago. On the flip side you can live on the southside of Chicago which touches the Indiana state line!

6 miles from the core of Seattle puts you in the suburb of Bellevue, WA. 6 miles from the core of Chicago puts you someplace like Graceland West (top of Southport Corridor).
Lol there is no such thing as a lively Chicago suburb. All Chicago suburbs are sleepy familyvilles.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,961,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt90945557 View Post
Lol there is no such thing as a lively Chicago suburb. All Chicago suburbs are sleepy familyvilles.
That is not true. Many (Northbrook, Winnetka, Flossmoor) are that way, and they are so sleepy they are often called "bedroom communities." But there are a few with entertainment. Check out Evanston, Rosemont, Schaumburg, Naperville. Of course, go into Chicago for the most and best.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM

2,198 posts, read 1,879,184 times
There are two types of alphas, right?

1) financially alpha, where they know how to get what they want, can be pushy, jerky, but also are refined, like expensive clothes, food and alcohol, will feel comfortable in a classy joint or talking about golf.
2) physically alpha, where they like Coors Light, skull logos, tattoos, working with their hands, muscle cars, and making fun of metrosexual snowflakes

We need to know which alpha she wants to have around. These are completely different.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:35 AM

73 posts, read 94,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That is not true. Many (Northbrook, Winnetka, Flossmoor) are that way, and they are so sleepy they are often called "bedroom communities." But there are a few with entertainment. Check out Evanston, Rosemont, Schaumburg, Naperville. Of course, go into Chicago for the most and best.
Lmfao you call those suburbs lively because they have heavy traffic. Lol

Those towns all shut down by 9pm. Bedroom communties.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:37 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,589,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt90945557 View Post
Lmfao you call those suburbs lively because they have heavy traffic. Lol

Those towns all shut down by 9pm. Bedroom communties.
True. Evanston is usually pretty dead after 8 PM. There are a handful of late-night establishments, but that's relatively speaking too. We don't have 2 AM and 4 AM bars, for example. We do have places like SPACE, a small concert venue with shows starting as late as 8 PM. But, for the most part, it is a bedroom community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago