Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 02:55 PM

175 posts, read 184,226 times

Advertisements

where do most of these shootings happen? south side?

every time ive visited chicago i hung out downtown and never felt unsafe.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:07 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,416,804 times
South and west sides, most of the mass shootings happen late in the evening to early in the morning and heightens on the weekend.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:08 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,371,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
where do most of these shootings happen? south side?

every time ive visited chicago i hung out downtown and never felt unsafe.
You never will feel unsafe downtown or most neighborhoods. Just a few neighborhoods on the South and West sides are unsafe.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:49 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,305,448 times
To keep it real, people talk about things like where do the shootings take place and what color were the perpetrators etc. But the truth is shootings can take place anywhere and buy anyone. Look at the numerous mass shootings at take places in schools and universities for example. I'm sure most of those students and staff felt that they would always be safe there! But unfortunately tragic things like this do take place. ...we see accidents on the expressway everyday but does that stop us from driving on that same expressway??? Probably to most people it does not. So I would not let things get to me about what side of the city you're on or what color the people appear to be when you drive through neither. I am an outsider and I have driven through, taken the train, ridden my bicycle, and even walked through some of the neighborhoods where there are statistics of gang activity and violence. And I have never seen or heard one incident of such.... Interestingly, on Saturday I was in one of my favorite neighborhoods, Lincoln Square, which has a reputation of, and has always felt extremely safe and calm. unfortunately I walked past a man that was involved in a domestic violence situation with a woman, while seated out on a patio in the Square. There was a very young child with them. and because I am such a strong advocate for children I decided to intervene. I was able to calm the man down, and it appeared that the situation was resolved, at least for the time being. And so no one on the Square that was walking by I had to listen to vulgar swearing. And for that moment that young child did not have to be around it neither.. So I will come back to my original premise: problems in bad situations can happen anywhere in to any degree. Ultimately we just use our head and our best judgment. However for those areas that are experiencing more violence than others, I pray that some sources are made available to assist. Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 08-05-2019, 07:41 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,490,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
To keep it real, people talk about things like where do the shootings take place and what color were the perpetrators etc. But the truth is shootings can take place anywhere and buy anyone. Look at the numerous mass shootings at take places in schools and universities for example. I'm sure most of those students and staff felt that they would always be safe there! But unfortunately tragic things like this do take place. ...we see accidents on the expressway everyday but does that stop us from driving on that same expressway??? Probably to most people it does not. So I would not let things get to me about what side of the city you're on or what color the people appear to be when you drive through neither. I am an outsider and I have driven through, taken the train, ridden my bicycle, and even walked through some of the neighborhoods where there are statistics of gang activity and violence. And I have never seen or heard one incident of such.... Interestingly, on Saturday I was in one of my favorite neighborhoods, Lincoln Square, which has a reputation of, and has always felt extremely safe and calm. unfortunately I walked past a man that was involved in a domestic violence situation with a woman, while seated out on a patio in the Square. There was a very young child with them. and because I am such a strong advocate for children I decided to intervene. I was able to calm the man down, and it appeared that the situation was resolved, at least for the time being. And so no one on the Square that was walking by I had to listen to vulgar swearing. And for that moment that young child did not have to be around it neither.. So I will come back to my original premise: problems in bad situations can happen anywhere in to any degree. Ultimately we just use our head and our best judgment. However for those areas that are experiencing more violence than others, I pray that some sources are made available to assist. Sincerely- Master Jay in Milwaukee
Well that's technically true. Shootings can happen anywhere. But they do happen with an alarmingly greater frequency in certain areas.

https://heyjackass.com/2019-deadliest-hoods/

Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,583,918 times
I sometimes would feel mildly uncomfortable in the Loop late at night. It can sometimes be a hotbed of roaming youths stealing things and doing other damage during the summer and after school. Otherwise, Chicago's violence is mostly gang violence. If you aren't in a gang, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:06 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,305,448 times
BRU67, you're in Little Village? I haven't been, since Cinco de Mayo parade. We see the ups and downs in all areas. You're right, the frequency can be different in different areas. We try to make every day the best! Have a great day!- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 08-05-2019, 08:07 PM

8,553 posts, read 4,807,111 times
Like most cities, it’s a pragmatism thing. You’ll avoide some areas. Chicago isn’t an unsafe place in most parts, and honestly, in broad daylight won’t be so bad either.

My then-girlfriend and I got off at the wrong El train stop in Cicero. It was a bad neighborhood, Henny bottles all over, bars over the windows. We got back on the El, but beyond our own minds’ expectations, there was no reality of danger. Maybe the shady crack dealer outside of a rehab clinic (!), but nothing and no one actually threatened us, gave us eyes, or anything else.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,567,271 times
There is a huge difference between feeling safe and being safe
A. Chicago native

Old 08-05-2019, 09:07 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,128,188 times
Duplicate topic; thread closed. Please read the Sticky thread at the top of the Chicago forum index.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago