Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I love the way the news keeps asking " What are the parents going to do with the kids out of school" ? What do they do with them during the Summer and all the holidays and days off that there is during the school year ? I'll bet that over half of the parents don't even work or the grandparents are taking care of the kids.
Sorry, Pete, but you are dead wrong. Childcare logistics can vary wildly.

Pull your head out of your posterior region for a half a click and think of what a working/middle class parent can do when they simply do not have any time off(?)

Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
I love the way the news keeps asking " What are the parents going to do with the kids out of school" ? What do they do with them during the Summer and all the holidays and days off that there is during the school year ? I'll bet that over half of the parents don't even work or the grandparents are taking care of the kids. !
Wow. "I'll bet that over half of the parents don't even work or the grandparents are taking care of the kids."
Nice one. Would you mind elaborating on that one for me?

Now to the first part of your overly argued nonsens. We, parents of CPS school children usually plan ahead for vacation, school breaks etc. I don't know about the company you work for, but do you take vacation on a 1 day notice? No planning ahead of time. Just come and go as you please? Must be nice
My family have to make vacation bids up to a year ahead. If we all knew CPS was going to go on strike, trust me, many of us would make arrangements far ahead. But because other people have lives and families as well, we don't have a magic little bell we ring as soon as we need a nanny.

Now, some of us are lucky. People can use their sick days, PTO's. But not everybody have that luxury. And not all of us have family close by to babysit for us. And most of us work and raise are own children...fyi.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:38 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times

Old 10-18-2019, 12:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
I love the way the news keeps asking " What are the parents going to do with the kids out of school" ? What do they do with them during the Summer and all the holidays and days off that there is during the school year ? I'll bet that over half of the parents don't even work or the grandparents are taking care of the kids.
It's clear you aren't a parent.

A strike is an absolute nightmare for parents, who obviously can't just quit their jobs and watch kids for an undetermined span.

Summers are PLANNED. It isn't like summers show up out of nowhere. Parents spend thousands and countless hours just to plan summers for their kids.

If I had kids in CPS, I would move them to private schools, or move to the suburbs. No way would I put up with this garbage.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
What is the longest CPS teachers can strike for? Is there a limit?

Old 10-18-2019, 01:39 PM

629 posts, read 543,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Sorry, Pete, but you are dead wrong. Childcare logistics can vary wildly.

Pull your head out of your posterior region for a half a click and think of what a working/middle class parent can do when they simply do not have any time off(?)
Sadly, Illinois has one of the highest childcare costs in the nation as well

everyone is going to be hurt by this

https://patch.com/illinois/across-il...ually-illinois

Old 10-18-2019, 01:55 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is the longest CPS teachers can strike for? Is there a limit?
The longest one in Chicago was 19 days in 1987. There was a 2 week one in Palatine District 15 but it was support staff and not teachers and they were forced to return to work or quit. I could at least have some sympathy in that case as some of those support workers were earning near minimum wage and were only asking for a 2.5% raise.

The Chicago teachers are just greedy, overpaid, lampreys.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:07 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow. "I'll bet that over half of the parents don't even work or the grandparents are taking care of the kids."
Nice one. Would you mind elaborating on that one for me?

Now to the first part of your overly argued nonsens. We, parents of CPS school children usually plan ahead for vacation, school breaks etc. I don't know about the company you work for, but do you take vacation on a 1 day notice? No planning ahead of time. Just come and go as you please? Must be nice
My family have to make vacation bids up to a year ahead. If we all knew CPS was going to go on strike, trust me, many of us would make arrangements far ahead. But because other people have lives and families as well, we don't have a magic little bell we ring as soon as we need a nanny.

Now, some of us are lucky. People can use their sick days, PTO's. But not everybody have that luxury. And not all of us have family close by to babysit for us. And most of us work and raise are own children...fyi.

Exactly, it's very disruptive to families to have to scramble to find help. I'm lucky that my kids are older and can be left alone and take care of themselves. But the strike under Karen Lewis while Rahm was Mayor was tough because we had to figure out daycare.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
https://twitter.com/chipubschools/st...863766528?s=21

Six figure average annual salary has been offered. INSANE.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It's clear you aren't a parent.
A strike is an absolute nightmare for parents, who obviously can't just quit their jobs and watch kids for an undetermined span.
Summers are PLANNED. It isn't like summers show up out of nowhere. Parents spend thousands and countless hours just to plan summers for their kids.
If I had kids in CPS, I would move them to private schools, or move to the suburbs. No way would I put up with this garbage.
And, none of this is lost on the CTU, they know they have overwhelming leverage in this fight. What, is the Mayor going to be held responsible for having kids lose out on months of educational time? Not likely. The funny part is, something like 49% of those polled in the city support the CTU in this strike. And something like 85% do not want their real estate taxes raised to balance the 2020 budget, which is going to be announced in about a week. I'm not sure that any concessions that will be given to the CTU are even accounted for in this budget, the shortfall may end up being larger than already announced.

The real mystery here is, knowing that they have the upper hand, is why the CTU isn't asking for more than they are. Maybe they're afraid of losing the support of the 49%, who knows. Eventually, the only solution to this is to put the same restrictions on teachers when it comes to striking as there is on the police, at least leveling the playing the field somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago