Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times

Advertisements

Rlynne,

You have got to be kidding when you say that "not all gangbangers are bad people."

"Free parking permits from the drug dealer" is ridiculous.

The world would be such a better place without the gangbangers or drug dealers.

Gentrification is a good thing. It forces the riff raff out. I feel bad for the people who are being displaced, but it is often they or members of their families or friends of theirs that are causing many of the problems.

And these people who claim the neighborhood is "theirs" are not being real. I mean Humboldt Park, is named after a German Naturalist. It was white, then hispanic (puerto rican mostly) and now it is mexican/puerto rican/black, and some white. In the future it will be more and more mexican and white. It is no more my neighborhood than it is anyone else's. I just live there.

Neighborhoods in Chicago are constantly in transition. That is part of what makes Chicago such a fun and interesting place in which to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Is Pilsen's artist and hipster influx dying?

Pilsen's Ailing Arts District | The Arts | Chicago Reader

Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM

367 posts, read 917,926 times
"not all gangbangers are bad people."

I don't really think of them as people anymore. More like bugs.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
"not all gangbangers are bad people."

I don't really think of them as people anymore. More like bugs.
Cops too.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
One day a giant blue and white praying mantis is going to catch and eat you.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:26 PM

27 posts, read 105,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlynne View Post
Hi. I've lived in Pilsen-- near the Damen stop-- for two years, and I love it. There are lots of families, street vendors with amazing horchata, great places to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, and Harrison Park with the Mexican Fine Arts museum. Is there gang activity in Pilsen? Yes. Does that automatically make it a bad neighborhood? Not in my view. Not all gangbangers are bad people-- please don't give in to the stereotype. My friends on the North Side have had more safety/crime issues than I or my roommates have had (five single girls just out of college). All you need is a little bit of street smarts, and to come in with a view of respect and openness to your neighbors rather than fear. The drug dealer across the street gave us free parking permits. You do, however, need to take a long hard look at issues of gentrification, because if you're not Hispanic working class, you'll be contributing to it if you move here. It's true, it's cheap rent (I pay 220 plus utilities and I share with four others), but at what real cost to the community?

So your de-valuing yourself as a person who actually "costs" the community? How do you offer less for Pilsen?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,024 times
I'm on 18 and Ashland.... I would say it's safe. I pay $650 plus utilities.... Haven't seen any gangs.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,387 times
I live off Cermak/Throop and I haven't encountered any gangs either. However, I've only lived in the area for a month.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaGleek View Post
I live off Cermak/Throop and I haven't encountered any gangs either. However, I've only lived in the area for a month.
I wish you continued luck. Just wait until it gets warm out.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
They're white. They won't be messed with by gangs. You guys exaggerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago