Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 PM

3,924 posts, read 6,839,150 times

Advertisements

For everything that comes with city life I would choose Chicago any day over Tampa. However, if you want warm weather and beaches then Tampa takes the cake. It's really about your particular taste when it comes to climate and the beach/pool life. If those are important then you should probably do Tampa. If not important at all then it's a no brainer.

It's worth mentioning that Chicago does have beaches. Lake Michigan is fresh water so you don't get all of the negatives that comes with bathing in salt water. Unfortunately though our water can be cold year round and the beaches can't compare to Tampa but at least we have something to compete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:24 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Chicago is a far better city and very affordable. The only reason to choose Tampa is if you prefer a tropical climate and saving a few bucks is top priority.

fwiw, I can live anywhere I want and here I sit in Chicago. I like Florida for vacation, but would never want to live there year round.

I will caution you though, $50K is not going to take you far in either location. Less so in Chicago. Might be a good idea to seek out a roommate or two to keep your CoL down. Bonus for Chicago is that you can get by without owning a car.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 12-10-2019 at 12:41 PM..

Old 12-10-2019, 12:55 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto519 View Post
Let's say you're from Canada, late 20's/early 30s', single, no family, and offered a job ($50k) in either of the two states (Illinois or Florida), which would you pick? Looking to get out of Canada and move somewhat more affordable than Toronto.

Now although my work locations are Chicago vs Tampa, I should mention that the real question is really Illinois vs Florida, as I'll only be in the office for the first few weeks and will be able to work remote so long as it's within the state (although I'm more of a city guy than suburb/rural one).

Where would you move on that salary if you're looking for two main things: to meet new people and to buy a place (as I don't want to pay thousands in rent if it's not paying off a mortgage)? Is Chicago affordable on that and do you think it's possible to buy a place if you have something like $40k for a down payment? Or is Florida better?
From an income standpoint, $50,000 will theoretically go further in Florida, although depending on your lifestyle it may not go as much further there as some people think - if, for example, you'd live without a car here but need a car in your location in Florida, that eats into your savings budget. You can live in parts of Miami and Miami Beach without a car, but most of the rest of Florida you really do need a car. Then again, if you lived in Chicago and needed/wanted a car, that just adds additional costs here.

So it mostly comes down to two things:

Are you obsessive about living as cheaply as possible and saving as much as possible and are willing to sacrifice lifestyle to achieve those ends? Florida is probably the best choice.

Do you prefer a more urban and/or urbane existence? Is your Florida opportunity somewhere other than central Miami or Miami Beach? Is the Chicago opportunity actually in Chicago? You're not a crazy spendthrift, but value lifestyle over aggressive savings? Then Chicago is probably the best choice. Chicago is a bit more affordable than Toronto, although the difference won't be exactly striking, especially if you want to live in the 2-3 most expensive neighborhoods here in Chicago.

Of course, if the opportunity is actually deep in the Chicago suburbs and the Florida one is actually in downtown Miami, then the decision could actually be reversed.

I'm not sure what your thoughts on $50,000 are. I would consider it a good starter salary in Chicago. It's solidly middle class, but not enough to live the high life, even as a single person. It would be difficult (not impossible - thousands of families manage it - but difficult) to have a family on that salary alone. It's certainly better than minimum wage, but you will likely have to keep to a budget. You could afford to live on your own, although might opt to have roommates because doing so will expand the parts of the city that are affordable for you to live in and/or leave you a little extra discretionary income at the end of the month.

As far as buying a place on that salary, depending on what sort of neighborhood you're looking to buy in, it could be a challenge. You could relatively easily buy in some of the dicier neighborhoods. I don't mean the ones that are a desolate gangland warzone, I just mean places with a somewhat higher crime rate, populated by lower-income residents that haven't started gentrifying yet. The economic diversity of neighborhoods in America is much greater than it is in Canada. Housing in most of Florida is cheaper than in Chicago. Especially for single family homes.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:26 PM

38 posts, read 37,743 times
No comparison. Two verrrrry different cities.

- Chicago is huge and amazing and tons to do but pricey to own a nice place although rent is very fair priced.

- Tampa is more laid back and fairly cheap unless you are right on the water or in south Tampa (small area). Warm weather year round and hot as hell through the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago