Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 13,158 times

Advertisements

Let's say you're from Canada, late 20's/early 30s', single, no family, and offered a job ($50k) in either of the two states (Illinois or Florida), which would you pick? Looking to get out of Canada and move somewhat more affordable than Toronto.

Now although my work locations are Chicago vs Tampa, I should mention that the real question is really Illinois vs Florida, as I'll only be in the office for the first few weeks and will be able to work remote so long as it's within the state (although I'm more of a city guy than suburb/rural one).

Where would you move on that salary if you're looking for two main things: to meet new people and to buy a place (as I don't want to pay thousands in rent if it's not paying off a mortgage)? Is Chicago affordable on that and do you think it's possible to buy a place if you have something like $40k for a down payment? Or is Florida better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 02:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
For city life, walkability, public transpo, skyscrapers, tons to see/do Chicago is a million times better than Tampa.

For working remotely then Florida is a million times better than Illinois. BUT you said you wanted to work remotely in the city so if you want to do that in a city atmosphere then Chicago will likely be better. So it's really a city lifestyle vs a beach lifestyle and I think on the day-to-day living Chicago has Tampa beat. I love Florida in Jan and Feb and the idea of working remotely on the beach...but otherwise I love Chicago.

Chicago is a VERY affordable big city. You can buy a condo/house close to downtown on $50k salary.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
We were transferred to Tampa when my dh was working for a company in Des Plaines. We only stayed a year and returned to Chicago. Tampa was not at all to our liking.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:51 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
For city life, walkability, public transpo, skyscrapers, tons to see/do Chicago is a million times better than Tampa.

For working remotely then Florida is a million times better than Illinois. BUT you said you wanted to work remotely in the city so if you want to do that in a city atmosphere then Chicago will likely be better. So it's really a city lifestyle vs a beach lifestyle and I think on the day-to-day living Chicago has Tampa beat. I love Florida in Jan and Feb and the idea of working remotely on the beach...but otherwise I love Chicago.

Chicago is a VERY affordable big city. You can buy a condo/house close to downtown on $50k salary.
Really? What neighborhood and price range would that be?

Old 12-07-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Really? What neighborhood and price range would that be?
Every neighborhood in Chicago. Just do a Redfin search for homes/condos priced from $200-250k and there are numerous options in the best neighborhoods which can be easily afforded with a $50k salary. I just bought a 3 unit building 10 minutes from downtown for under $250k. What other big city can you do that in?

Old 12-08-2019, 07:16 AM

247 posts, read 235,711 times
Keep in mind that 10 mins from downtown can put you in some sketchy areas - and I think a 50k salary would put you more in the 150k price range. It will be possible to find condos in this range, not in the heart of all the action though.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Keep in mind that 10 mins from downtown can put you in some sketchy areas - and I think a 50k salary would put you more in the 150k price range. It will be possible to find condos in this range, not in the heart of all the action though.
I havent seen a sfh or a condo under 200 k in any area I want to live in.
Sure. North Lawndale is close to DT. I work there right by Douglas Park. They sell cheap homes in the middle of the action. Gun action that is..lol

Old 12-08-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I havent seen a sfh or a condo under 200 k in any area I want to live in.
Sure. North Lawndale is close to DT. I work there right by Douglas Park. They sell cheap homes in the middle of the action. Gun action that is..lol
There are numerous condos for less than $250k in river north, gold coast, old town, lincoln park, etc etc etc which are very safe and in the heart of the action.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
There are numerous condos for less than $250k in river north, gold coast, old town, lincoln park, etc etc etc which are very safe and in the heart of the action.
How big are these places you are talking about? Where can I find a nice size sfh or condo in Lincoln Park for less than 250k? I can't even find that here in Forest Glen or Jefferson Park.
Unless of course you are talking a small 1 bedroom condo. If that's the case maybe you are right.

Old 12-08-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
How big are these places you are talking about? Where can I find a nice size sfh or condo in Lincoln Park for less than 250k? I can't even find that here in Forest Glen or Jefferson Park.
Unless of course you are talking a small 1 bedroom condo. If that's the case maybe you are right.
Go on Redfin and apply condo filters less than $250k. Tons of studio and 1 bedroom options. And lots of 2 bedrooms when you get up to Lakeview, Boystown and Wrigleyville and continuing north. I can find HUGE 3 bed 2 bath 1500+sqft options on southside in Bronzeville, Kenwood and down to Hyde Park.

I'm answering the OP...."late 20's/early 30s', single, no family". 1 bedroom is all he/she needs if they are set on buying and plenty of options for that in any neighborhood on a $50k salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago