Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

249 posts, read 685,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sorry, I was off by one whole block here and there. BTW, the Jewel on Lincoln is on the corner of Lincoln and Cullom, which is the 4300 block. So sorry, I was off by about 20 feet by virtue of which side of the street it's on. Thanks for that incredibly useful correction.

And yeah, I don't know what I was thinking about Addison v. Montrose. I got the two confused because I was thinking about which stations are closed and have recently re-opened, etc. Those two stations were closed and re-opened at the same time.
Sorry, I didn't want to drag that Cubs/Sox thread down any further than it already got, so I figured I'd get one in here ... But I understand, the exhilaration of an early-season winning streak can be a little disorienting.

Actually you said 4500 block of Lincoln -- but your comment about the Jewel being on the corner of Cullom and Lincoln brings up another interesting point: There's actually a bar still located on the corner that was a holdout when most of the block was leveled for the Jewel in the '70s. Similarly, a couple blocks south there is another bar at the corner of Warner and Lincoln that survived destruction of a grocery store (and later a thrift store), drug store and couple of other storefronts on the same block. It's interesting to see these pillars of the community have survived gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I take the Metra from Clybourn to Ravenswood and back everyday for work and can vouch that it is really reliable, and MUCH faster than the Brown line. If you want to be really pessimistic you could expect Metra to be off by 5-15 minutes once a month. Maybe once or twice a year there's severe weather or a collision with a car or pedestrian that can throw things really off schedule.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM

68 posts, read 274,088 times
one thing to watch out for with Ravenswood stop is that gets CROWDED during peak hours, more so then any other station on that line..
Today people were lined up on the street below the station, but that was an exception due to a delayed train..

That being said, I would take Metra ANY given day. Hands down.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:37 PM

23 posts, read 72,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamert View Post
one thing to watch out for with Ravenswood stop is that gets CROWDED during peak hours, more so then any other station on that line..
Today people were lined up on the street below the station, but that was an exception due to a delayed train..

That being said, I would take Metra ANY given day. Hands down.
So, how many people are on these trains? Do you get to sit down or are you standing for the ride to the downtown station? What is the process of riding? How do you pay, etc...

THe place I am looking at is pretty close. But, can you park and ride if it is pouring down rain?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You can only park nearby if you have a permit. Much of the neighborhood around there has permit-parking to prevent commuters from hogging all the spaces and making it difficult for residents to park there.

Chances are the train will be standing-room only by the time it gets to the Ravenswood station since you'll be one of the last stops on the line before the train finally reaches downtown and disgorges everyone. The train will have stopped to pick up people at about 20 other stations as far away as Wisconsin before it gets to you. Just as well; you're pretty likely to get standing-room only on the L train too.

As for how to pay, you can either get a book of pre-paid passes or a monthly pass and show it to the conductor when you get on or you can pay the conductor in cash on the spot after you board the train. If the station has a ticket booth (the Ravenswood station does not) then you are highly encouraged to buy your ticket at the booth instead; if you don't they'll charge you an extra $2 if you pay on the train.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Would it not make sense if Metra made a stop at somewhere between Irving Park and Belmont or near either of those streets? I am sure a good portion of those that get on at Ravenswood come from as far south as around Irving Park and even as far south as Addison or Belmont.

Metra could gain riders by making a stop that is near the Brown Line stations of Irving Park,Addison, or Paulina. Also a stop between Ravenswood and Rogers Park would be nice too!

I guess it all make stoo much sense!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Well, the Metra system was never really designed for short distances between stops. That's a lot more practical with electric systems like the L where every car is powered and it can get up to full speed within a block. I bet a Metra train couldn't get up to more than 20mph between Lawrence and Irving Park before it would have to start coming to a stop again.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the Metra system was never really designed for short distances between stops. That's a lot more practical with electric systems like the L where every car is powered and it can get up to full speed within a block. I bet a Metra train couldn't get up to more than 20mph between Lawrence and Irving Park before it would have to start coming to a stop again.
Well it sure would add a bunch of riders and overall I believe it would help alleviate traffic on the northside overall, even if it adds a few minutes to the commute from the north burbs.

It sure would help during Cub games to have an Irving Park or Addison stop along with shuttle buses from the stop directly to Wrigley. Of course, the people that go to games from the North Shore would have to be convinced they need to ditch their cars and take the Metra train/shuttle bus to Wrigley.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 PM

249 posts, read 685,371 times
Quote:
One exception to this rule is the northwest side of the city on the Milwaukee District West Line. There are stops at Galewood (6400 W), Mars (6800 W), Mont Clare (7000 W) and Elmwood Park (7500 W), and the tracks angle only about 4 blocks south to north thru that stretch. If four stops are merited there, another one on the UP North Line wouldn't be out of the question, especially since the Brown Line is so overtaxed and will only get worse as the gangbangers (Albany Park) and remaining old-timers (Lincoln Square) give way to more downtown commuters.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Northside View Post
One exception to this rule is the northwest side of the city on the Milwaukee District West Line. There are stops at Galewood (6400 W), Mars (6800 W), Mont Clare (7000 W) and Elmwood Park (7500 W), and the tracks angle only about 4 blocks south to north thru that stretch. If four stops are merited there, another one on the UP North Line wouldn't be out of the question, especially since the Brown Line is so overtaxed and will only get worse as the gangbangers (Albany Park) and remaining old-timers (Lincoln Square) give way to more downtown commuters.
The Red Line is pretty full too most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago