Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,527,938 times

Advertisements

Can we no longer buy a beer after 8pm from CVS or Walgreens stores?
I thought that was only the Liquor Stores. But I guess its everywhere.
Not that I usually buy there but I do pick up wine sometimes on the way from work. But my neighbor just informed me that she was denied at 2 different locations because it was after 8pm.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 04-09-2020 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 09:25 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,081,269 times
It appears to be limited to the City of Chicago itself, starting at 9:00 PM tonight (not 8:00), link below - Groot has her mad face on.

As someone who doesn't drink much at home, are liquor prices typically cheaper at a dedicated liquor store like Binny's, or in a retail place like Walmart, Costco, etc.?

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/c...at-home-order/

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 04-09-2020 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: link added

Old 04-09-2020, 10:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,527,938 times
I thought is was Liquor stores only. In the article it's any store that sells alcohol have to stop by 9pm. I feel like I live in an alternate universe. Lol.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,892,882 times
The new rule is 9:00 PM, not 8:00 PM. Lightfoot didn't like how people were congregating outside of liquor stores, which often happened late at night, especially how Chicago and Illinois have quite permissive alcohol laws to begin with. If you work normal hours, get it right after work. If you work second shift or third shift, get right after breakfast. Where there's a will, there's a way.

While I kind of, sort of, maybe, get Lightfoot's mentality, she's being too short-sighted, just to put up an image of being a good mayor. Her actions will cause Chicago to depopulate even faster than it already is. Which goes against making a city inviting to new residents.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-10-2020 at 09:52 PM..

Old 04-10-2020, 09:33 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,081,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The new rule is 9:00 PM, not 8:00 PM. Lightfoot didn't like how people were congregating outside of liquor stores, which often happened late at night, especially how Chicago and Illinois have quite permissive alcohol laws to begin with. If you work normal hours, get it right after work. If you work second shift or third shift, get right after breakfast. Where there's a will, there's a way.
I don't live in Chicago proper, so stores by me follow the local suburb's laws. One town is strict, but still no 9:00 PM cutoff. The other might as well be New Orleans (which has the nation's most permissive alcohol laws). While I kind of, sort of, maybe, get Lightfoot's mentality, she's being too short-sighted. Her actions will cause Chicago to depopulate even faster than it already is.
My guess is that liquor store owners (and grocery stores that sell liquor) in suburbs adjacent to Chicago are high-fiving each other right now. Sometimes late-night drinking is spontaneous in nature, you simply just get thirsty, and Diet Coke just doesn't cut it.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
My guess is that liquor store owners (and grocery stores that sell liquor) in suburbs adjacent to Chicago are high-fiving each other right now. Sometimes late-night drinking is spontaneous in nature, you simply just get thirsty, and Diet Coke just doesn't cut it.
Well, bona fide thirst and craving a 40 aren't the same thing. If you're truly thirsty, you get a bottle of water or a Gatorade, not a beer. Still, I'm sure liquor store owners in suburbs like Niles (north), Forest Park (west), and Riverdale (south) are high-fiving each other indeed. Whoever lives close enough will simply drive over. Inner-ring suburbs tend to be blue collar and working class, so they either have permissive liquor laws or contain unincorporated pockets of Cook County, where liquor hours end as late as 4:00 AM.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 04-10-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,577,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
It appears to be limited to the City of Chicago itself, starting at 9:00 PM tonight (not 8:00), link below - Groot has her mad face on.

As someone who doesn't drink much at home, are liquor prices typically cheaper at a dedicated liquor store like Binny's, or in a retail place like Walmart, Costco, etc.?

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/c...at-home-order/
Binny's is almost always the cheapest store open to the public in the Chicagoland area. Independent liquor stores tend to be the most expensive with supermarkets and warehouses falling in between.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Binny's is almost always the cheapest store open to the public in the Chicagoland area. Independent liquor stores tend to be the most expensive with supermarkets and warehouses falling in between.
Usually, but not always. I find Walmart to be cheaper than Binny's, if all I want is a basic popular product, as opposed to something fancy or obscure. There also used to be one liquor store several miles for me, that sold liquor dirt-cheap. It bought cosmetically damaged but intact bottles from warehouses, attached an Illinois safety stamp on them, and resold them. A brand-name liquor bottle sometimes cost less just $10. (There were also normal bottles sold for normal prices.) I used to go out there from time to time. But it was later sold to a different owner, and the prices went up.

I bet that store is still open even now. Even though all it sold is alcohol, mixers (which are classified as food), and unhealthy snacks.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:29 PM

196 posts, read 304,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Usually, but not always. I find Walmart to be cheaper than Binny's, if all I want is a basic popular product, as opposed to something fancy or obscure.

Agreed - for popular simple things like Bacardi, Tito's, Coors or Bud, and mixers, Meijer, Costco, and Walmart will be cheaper than Binny's. But Binny's is cheaper for the obscure or high end article (single malt scotch, absinthe, imported wines) most of which won't be carried by the other places anyhow.

I do my "specialty" shopping at Binntys, my "party" shopping at Meijer or Costco.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,871,723 times
I really don't get the big deal about the 9pm stoppage. It's not like you can go hang out at a bar. Since you are just getting booze to drink at home, why can't you just grab it before 9pm?

This rule affected me, like, not even a little bit. If I want to grab beer from Half Acre or Bottles & Cans - I sure as heck wasn't going to run over there at 10pm. Get your stuff, drink at home. That's all we can do anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago