Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 AM

26 posts, read 98,302 times

Advertisements

Hey! I first wanted to introduce myself. I'm Lisa about to turn 25, graduated with my Business Admin degree 3 years ago, moved to Texas to be with the husband who was stationed at Fort Hood, TX for his ARMY career.

After two tours to Iraq, he's getting out of the ARMY and we're moving back to IL but to Chicago for our first time. I like to talk, play board/video/and card games, shop (though I barely buy anything), check out local happenings, and cook. The husband is your typical 25 year old male. Absolutely fanatical about all sports, plays his XBOX and likes to eat.

Anyone want to meet up sometime?! I'm up for anything! I only have one friend in the city so I'm trying to make friends.

Okay, onto my two questions.

1. We're moving into Wrigleyville around 10 am next Thursday. I see there is a game at 1 pm. I noticed the signs while visiting, that one is not allowed to park there without the residential stickers. I checked the 44th Alderman's site and it said that only during 5 pm-10 pm only residents with the stickers could park there during night games.

Does this mean we can or can't park there at 10 am this upcoming Thursday? There will not be a game going on, right at 10 am, but I have no idea how early they enforce or how it works.

The husband will be going to get those stickers hopefully in the morning, but would it best to maybe just park in a garage overnight? Or, am I really over analyzing this? (We have the movers coming that day, I have an interview at 3 pm downtown that afternoon, I'm just trying to make sure everything is squared away so that when I come back from the interview, we don't have to figure out what happened to the car, lol)

2. I called the electric company to set up services. She gave me the average kw/h used for the current tenant. She said it's been about 200 kw/h right now, and in the summer around 300 kw/h. I'm trying to guess if that 100 additional kw/h is with using a window AC unit or not. Does that sound right to you all that have window units in your apts?

If I had to guess, the apt is approximately 650 sq footage if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Depends on the EXACT zone you are in -- the 383 and LV2 zones overlap a bit. If you don't have the permit and City Vehicle Stickers and are in the 383 Zone don't even think about parking -- you WILL get ticketed. Very confusing: The LAKE VIEW CITIZENS' COUNCIL (LVCC) - Parking Restrictions They might NOT have changed all the signs to correspond with the correct zone and if that is the case you HAVE to go with the more restrictive info, becuase they'll give out tickets and then it'll be up to you to prove what sign was up -- GIANT hassle!

On the energy issue -- the window A/C might use MORE than 100kw/h for a hot month and less in a not so hot month. You also have to factor in the refrigerator which USES a lot juice in the summer, and things likely to be used less in the summer: lights are on less, people don't vacuum as much, blow drying is quicker/less needed, etc. That said I think in a hot summer it is a fair bet to say that you can spend double the electricity in Jully/August that you would in May/October... In an average summer maybe more like 30% more. If you are going to buy your own A/C unit now is definitely the time to do it. Get the most efficient unit you can afford, install in properly, use the thermostat properly and get a unit with a timer so that you don't have to waste power when you are not home and/or it cools off in the middle of the night. Don't forget that small table/floor fans on low speeds are almost always a really good way to help spread the cool air around for far less than the A/C -- Lakeview gets some decent breezes that can really help save on A/C... Here is a site with more tips from Texas --http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/cost.html

Old 04-25-2008, 10:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
Welcome to Chicago Lisa! Sometimes some of us from this board meet up for drinks, so you and he hubby will have to join us next time!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
As for the A/C issue... I have a pretty big unit that A/C's my entire apartment except the kitchen (so a total of about 900 sqft). Last summer when I ran it fairly often, it bumped up my electric bill by about $35-40 a month, for a total bill of about $75-80/mo. The summer before that was mild enough that I almost never ran it at all... but I'm also in a 1st-floor unit so that's easier for me to do than the guy above me.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,646,576 times
I can get you 383 or LV2 guest passes that will cover you until you get a sticker for your car. DM me.

What streets are you moving near? I live in the area.;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,646,576 times
Let us know how you guys are doing. How did everthing work out with the move? If you need more help feel free to ask.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM

26 posts, read 98,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Let us know how you guys are doing. How did everthing work out with the move? If you need more help feel free to ask.
Thanks for thinking of us! Thank you, again for that parking decal, Thursday was so hectic!

We were able to get the city and residential sticker on Friday without any hitches. I've had two interviews, one tomorrow, and maybe another later this week. Hopefully something turns up with one of those! Have to admit, I really do enjoy having my leisurely days right now, hehe.

I am loving being able to walk and/or take the train/bus to eat, shop or just see the sites. I'm so in love with the city!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,646,457 times
Congrats! Those are all the things I love about the city too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago