Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 PM

213 posts, read 698,202 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 40 year old, male white collar middle manager who will be relocated to one of my company's facilities in the Little Village neighborhood in the next three to four months.

Coming from one of the nicer and more scenic areas of the country, PNW/Seattle- I will concede that I am not exactly thrilled with this location, but having no choice in the matter I want to make the most of what Chicago has to offer.

What are some neighborhoods I should look into given the following criteria:
  • Safety and walkability- While I do want to live in a neighborhood with walkable conveniences (gym and groceries, some dining)- I am not exactly an urban pioneer, so I have little tolerance for sketch or borderline neighborhoods. Nor, is hipster nightlife or diversity very important to me.
  • Transportation- I will own and drive a vehicle. I have already checked maps and there aren't any "L" lines within a half mile walk of the facility and I frequently work late. I will not be walking around this neighborhood at night to get to one, either.
  • Budget- $1,800 a month rent or $325-$375k if I buy- assuming the HOA's aren't something ridiculous like $500 a month.
  • Commute Time- Under 20/25 minutes one way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 12:32 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,863,366 times
Wicker Park/Bucktown comes to mind

Old 04-19-2020, 03:33 PM

439 posts, read 954,669 times
I suppose Oak Park would work, though its a suburb.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:03 PM

187 posts, read 185,571 times
Check out the west side of Garfield Ridge.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:38 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Oak Park is almost certainly the best bet...

Old 04-22-2020, 11:25 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
-Depends how big of a place you want, but you can probably find something in the South Loop or West Loop.
-Ukrainian Village
-Eastern edge of Humboldt Park close to Western Ave and the Blue Line stop (not for transit purposes, more for safety and where you may find a decent commute driving down Western.

Some other suggestions people made also make sense
-Wicker Park/Bucktown
-Oak Park

It also depends where in Little Village as the neighborhood can have multiple definitions. The more traditional definition centers along a smaller area along 26th street, but Google maps shows that it goes all the way rom Cicero Ave to Western Ave. That may impact whether your commute fits into a 20-25 minute or less time frame.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:19 PM

103 posts, read 151,147 times
Depending on your tolerance for certain apsects of urban living...you may need to up the commute time to 30-40 minutes. You are going to be working near alot of the stuff it seems like you are trying to avoid. There isn't a ton in your criteria under 20 minutes away from your work. If you want to live in the city I would look into University Village/Little Italy/Taylor street area which is quiet and residential but close to amenities. I'd also recommend South loop. It is very close to downtown, many consider it basically downtown, so your budget wont go as far there especially if you consider parking costs.

If you are into more urban type suburbs, A few that come to mind for your criteria that aren't all that far away from Little Village would be the areas around La Grange, Elmhurst, Oak Park (Stay west of Ridgeland) Maybe Berwyn, Maybe Forest Park.

Someone in here recommended East Humboldt Park...Per your criteria, I would avoid this area at all costs. It's a sketchy gang infested hipster neighborhood. All the things you said you didn't want (lol) I lived there for 3 or 4 years and had several issues with gang violence and I have a pretty high tolerance for sketchy neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong1991 View Post
Someone in here recommended East Humboldt Park...Per your criteria, I would avoid this area at all costs. It's a sketchy gang infested hipster neighborhood. All the things you said you didn't want (lol) I lived there for 3 or 4 years and had several issues with gang violence and I have a pretty high tolerance for sketchy neighborhoods.
Not true at all. I've owned in East Humboldt Park since 2012 and its very safe and quiet.

I recommend some of better neighborhoods south of 290 like Tri-Taylor, Little Italy, Pilsen, and South Loop. Will have plenty of what you're looking for and safe and walkable...even more so the further east you go.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:13 PM

103 posts, read 151,147 times
dtcbnd03 Depends on the block. I lived there from 2014-2018 and I am very acquainted with the area. Wouldn't recommend based on OP's criteria.

Old 04-25-2020, 04:07 PM

180 posts, read 634,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Coming from one of the nicer and more scenic areas of the country, PNW/Seattle- I will concede that I am not exactly thrilled with this location, but having no choice in the matter I want to make the most of what Chicago has to offer.
I'd personally start by changing the way you're approaching this... You're moving to Chicago, a city which 60 million tourists a year pay to see, in the summer, for 4 months.

Having lived in Seattle, I'll agree its a nice place but Chicago also offers a lot of things Seattle doesn't (like the amazing Mexican food you'll find in the neighborhood you'll be working in) .

Take the 4 months as an opportunity to experience something different, and if you don't like it (and it would be incredibly hard to not enjoy Chicago in the summer unless you just plain hate cities), not a big deal as you'll be gone in 4 months.

As far as neighborhoods go, for your needs I'd go with the West Loop. Meets your criteria and is centrally located so you can explore the city / make the most of a 4 month opportunity to live differently than you normally do.

Last edited by ebitdadada; 04-25-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago