Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 01:02 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I was PISSED at the mayor's response as well. She literally put all the bridges to downtown up, and put national guard around the south and near north side.

then had a ****load of police presence on the near north side were there were hardly any protestors.

meanwhile, both the south and west sides were getting pillaged. on top of that, I rode my bike over to 87th and the dan ryan while this was happening, and the police that were there were simply doing nothing other than directing traffic and watching people loot. I saw this first hand with my own eyes.
From what I saw on the news, downtown (Michigan Avenue, specifically) was hit pretty hard, Chicago had its very own Kristallnacht on the first couple of nights. There was another thread here that had videos taken by a guy on a dualsport bike riding around, lots of burning police cars, etc.. That's not to say the south and west sides were not hit harder, I had no interest in going down there to view it personally. It would be really interesting to know the entire tally of how many businesses were looted, how many cop cars were burned, maybe a total of how many dollars were lost to this, how much will be covered by insurance companies, how much insurance rates will rise in the future, how many businesses will not re-open, what the loss to the tax base will be, etc.. My guess is Mayor Lightfoot will not be quite as "open and honest" about the results as she proclaims to be on other issues, we'll see. Maybe the Trib will have a summary eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 01:18 PM

289 posts, read 143,609 times
Disgraced mayor!

https://news.yahoo.com/gianno-caldwe...123430037.html

Old 06-10-2020, 01:43 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
From what I saw on the news, downtown (Michigan Avenue, specifically) was hit pretty hard, Chicago had its very own Kristallnacht on the first couple of nights. There was another thread here that had videos taken by a guy on a dualsport bike riding around, lots of burning police cars, etc.. That's not to say the south and west sides were not hit harder, I had no interest in going down there to view it personally. It would be really interesting to know the entire tally of how many businesses were looted, how many cop cars were burned, maybe a total of how many dollars were lost to this, how much will be covered by insurance companies, how much insurance rates will rise in the future, how many businesses will not re-open, what the loss to the tax base will be, etc.. My guess is Mayor Lightfoot will not be quite as "open and honest" about the results as she proclaims to be on other issues, we'll see. Maybe the Trib will have a summary eventually.

I know for a fact that insurance does not give full price (what it cost them to buy merchandise) for their loss.. they only give maybe 10 or 20 percent of cost.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:58 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I know for a fact that insurance does not give full price (what it cost them to buy merchandise) for their loss.. they only give maybe 10 or 20 percent of cost.
This link seems to say the majority of Insured businesses are covered for loses from Riots and Looting. So it seems your 10 to 20% is a extreme under-estimate. I am not expert but just did a quick search.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...xlQ?li=BBnbklE

Also States have special funds that will be available to small businesses to also aid them. My State of PA has announced it does and even the LOATHED by the RIGHT of Lightfoot has has her say there is funds for small businesses too. Of course I am sure all will go into corruption and never make it to those in need.

Time will tell and more research into what Insurance will most likely cover depending on the average insured business seems to exceed your very low suggested %? I have also read but did not save the link on how Oak St boutique stores were pretty regularly robed and looted and apparently secured insurance to cover losses or made it up in high mark-ups. Time will tell how it all plays out to go into only 10% - 20% will be recovered?

Last edited by NoHyping; 06-10-2020 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 02:19 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
This link seems to say the majority of Insured businesses are covered for loses from Riots and Looting. So it seems your 10 to 20% is a extreme under-estimate. I am not expert but just did a quick search.

Also States have special funds that will be available to small businesses to also aid them. My State of PA has announced it does and even the LOATHED by the RIGHT of Lightfoot has has her say there is funds for small businesses too. Of course I am sure all will go into corruption and never make it to those in need.

Time will tell and more research into what Insurance will most likely cover depending on the average insured business seems to exceed your very low suggested %? I have also read but did not save the link on how Oak St boutique stores were pretty regularly robed and looted and apparently secured insurance to cover losses or made it up in high mark-ups. Time will tell how it all plays out to go into only 10% - 20% will be recovered?
Maybe, but one Sure Thing is that insurance companies are not in the business of losing money. They may have a down year or two (in the case of a year with above-average number of hurricanes, for instance), but they simply raise rates in subsequent years, making back what they paid out, plus profits. And, the individual businesses are not in the business of losing money, either, so they will increase their prices to cover the increased insurance rates in coming years. Any business whose customers do not patronize them due to price increases will go out of business, there is no "Free Lunch". Bottom line, the rioters did damage to their communities that has long-term consequences, it really is akin to "burning down your own house". People will lose jobs because of this. All because a cop in Minneapolis, of all places, was stupid and cruel. Chicago already has a Democratic Mayor, in a state with a Democratic Governor and Legislator. What exactly do the Chicago protesters want? Dissolution of the Chicago Police Department will make the lives of average Chicagoans worse, not better. Did the Covid destroy people's ability to think critically?

Old 06-10-2020, 02:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post

unless you pay for "actual replacement coverage" which is a TON more expensive than conventional coverage, the insurance only pays the DEPRECIATED value of the things you claim
Generally speaking, it may be a bit more than 10-20%, but it will never be more than 50% of the replacement value, unless you carry that expensive Ryder..

The scumbag, low life looters have effectively put almost every one of the small businesses their miserable asses looted out of business..

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-10-2020 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Advocating violence.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:34 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

lets hope the residents/voters THROIW HER ASS out, the first chance they get..

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-10-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 06-10-2020, 02:48 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUtoTX View Post
Except the lung association does not shut down or silence all the other associations when they speak out.
They don't? Shame on those mean ol' BLM people then! Did they scare you? I saw the protest from the women in the ***** hats in '16. That was pretty noisy.

I think you need to deal with the rhetorical point.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:52 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Well, I am ok with saying ALL Lives Matter, and if people don't want to be lumped into this category, I am ok with it.
Whoo hoo! We are going back!

Lemme give you a hint from the sixties: 'Black is beautiful' does not mean 'White is ugly'. Got that? Take it from there.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:59 PM

289 posts, read 143,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
They don't? Shame on those mean ol' BLM people then! Did they scare you? I saw the protest from the women in the ***** hats in '16. That was pretty noisy.

I think you need to deal with the rhetorical point.
Does 'All Lives Matter' slogan scare you? Why so against it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago