Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

More protests are going to happen. More looting. More people getting away with crime.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:07 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
More protests are going to happen. More looting. More people getting away with crime.
Quite possibly, and it will be a shame.

Now who is ever going to reign in white collar crime? Changing laws to benefit the rich? Finding every loophole, endless lawsuits, and taking advantage? Everything from blocking beaches to sharks feeding on the poor with fees fees fees?

One thing you can bet on is that white collar crime is far more EXPENSIVE and predatory. But that's ok for some because it's sneaky behind the scenes and there's no ugliness on the streets.

I'm just sayin'....does divided America ever look at both sides?

Old 08-14-2020, 08:48 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post

I'm just sayin'....does divided America ever look at both sides?

Nope, the poor and rich are too self-absorbed and self-entitled to bother.
The rich don't care about the poor, and the poor seem to think they can steal from the rich.
Both sides are wrong, and morally deficient.
Like Rome before the fall, all fighting over $$$.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Nope, the poor and rich are too self-absorbed and self-entitled to bother.
The rich don't care about the poor, and the poor seem to think they can steal from the rich.
Both sides are wrong, and morally deficient.
Like Rome before the fall, all fighting over $$$.
True that, but...the situation isn't balanced. The poor are at a much much much larger disadvantage and do not benefit anywhere near the same in the coffers that be. Getting WIC or Bridge card, or Section 8 housing, doesn't compare to raking in billions on the backs of poor labor.
All that aside, white people DO have an attitude problem as well. Tell black people they are "animals" for centuries, treat them like animals, even chattel in our history, and then be surprised when they ACT like animals in return? Why the surprise? (Not asking you specificially, rhetorical).
That's why it's not an inner city "black" problem, it's an American problem, everyone is included here. Anyone who is not part of the solution is part of the problem. That goes for all posters calling blacks "animals".

Old 08-14-2020, 11:07 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
True that, but...the situation isn't balanced. The poor are at a much much much larger disadvantage and do not benefit anywhere near the same in the coffers that be. Getting WIC or Bridge card, or Section 8 housing, doesn't compare to raking in billions on the backs of poor labor.
All that aside, white people DO have an attitude problem as well. Tell black people they are "animals" for centuries, treat them like animals, even chattel in our history, and then be surprised when they ACT like animals in return? Why the surprise? (Not asking you specificially, rhetorical).
That's why it's not an inner city "black" problem, it's an American problem, everyone is included here. Anyone who is not part of the solution is part of the problem. That goes for all posters calling blacks "animals".

Did someone here call black people animals?.
No excuse for that.
Allow me to share something, my family once was part of the solution; as a Jewish owned white business employing black residents.
This was in the worst hood on the west side, said business was burned to the ground 50 years ago during the last major riots in Chicago.
That said, how willing would you be to invest time, resources, and $$$ into an area yet again?.
I also grew up attending a black church, in which during a sermon said black minister stated the following:
"African-Americans need to shed the generational mindset of slavery".
Boy was that an unpopular sermon!, but he was right in many respects.

I have often felt the high murder rate being ignored has been intentional, a political means of genocide by doing nothing.
Forget about the government helping you, I have; it's time for AA's to unite; and do for themselves.
If they can manage this, you'll find rich people more willing to chip in again.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulaTwyst View Post
Shoot first, don't bother with the questions. Consider it going on an African safari in Chicago.
This is the EXTREME RHETORIC I even hear by me from Great people that fall prey to EXTREMISM too on the FAR RIGHT.

As long as it is just rhetoric and that is still questionable it will? Some solution and calming of these extremes of no solutions or compromises to prevent this Nation from imploding from within.

What I keep thinking is? How can we profess to be the best last stronghold of Democracy in the world even as a Republic with Capitalism and Democratic Ideals. Can remain solvent if a just SHOOT THEM is the SOLUTION?

We either implode and split as a Nation with cities left in turmoil and allowed to with merely seeing them as politically expendable and left to be shadows of themselves..... or we somehow compromise in finding solutions that did not come overnight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
The attack on Jewelers Row is an abomination. My grandfather had a business there in the 30's till 63. He would be aghast at what Chicago has become. Sometimes even I am utterly astonished how it's gone into the toilet. This is a whole other level. Sadly I see it getting a lot worse before it gets any better. And you guys are gonna lose a LOT of decent businesses in the wake. Portland is your soul mate sadly.
I think the same people were AGHAST at what downtown Chicago Loop had become into the 1970s. State St no longer seen as that Great Street and aspects of XXX shops appearing. Movie theaters showing XXX and a far cry from the Glory of the Grand Palaces of Cinema they were. Some were even lost till preservationist saved some till the era of restoration came including the Chicago Theatre saved.

Was there still much left of a Jewelers row by the late 70s even? That was even 40+yrs ago. I remember the late 70s downtown with all the promise of bouncing back as it did slowly. Still a fraction of its past retail glory and vibrancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Nah, that would be the standalone Macy's on State. That's their "flagship" location here.

Anyone too young to remember what a craphole downtown had become by the late 70s/early 80s now understands why so many corporate offices and retailers packed up and headed for the suburbs before some of them started trickling back as downtown cleaned up its act. I don't think the corporate offices will move again because the downtown area is too well connected to public transportation from the rest of the metro area. As for retail... I don't know why they'd bother to stay. I'm betting most of the big-name stores on Michigan or State aren't that profitable anyway and are mostly just marketing showcases. Well, when that marketing image is inextricably tied to unrestrained mayhem and destruction, it doesn't have the same cachet any more.
I actually am surprised the N Mich Macy's survived this long. I really was because of the vibrancy of the street and Water Tower Mall and not the store itself. As you noted..... the St Street Flagship former Marshall Fields is what I would hope continues to survive at least till Macy's last breath as a retailer and I do believe it will in 7 floors left for it. This considering it was once 12 of retail and the Men had another building even next door with retail for men also. Many young man not realize this whole other building was once part of Marshal Fields?
I as having lived in Chicago in my past see this as what I would believe and those who are too young to realize the Loops declines by the 70s into early 80s its reversal that took many years and re-imagining and spending millions to attempt to bring back State St alone with a huge failure as a so called only buses Mall.

Those too young may not realize the declines were to the point few Chicagoans who were a product of white-flight to the northwest/southwest sides and suburbs. EVER WANTED TO VENTURE DOWNTOWN again except those for work yet there.

The completion of the John Hancock and Sears to Standard Oil supertalls despite giving corporate America to give Chicago's core hope. White Chicagoans already thought it was just a fraction of itself for their purposes and suburbanites gave it still little respect.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:12 AM

334 posts, read 170,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/?_pt...Ns7srxwxAoCAAA

The first piece to fall....Macy's in Water Tower Place, which has been an anchor on the Magnificent Mile forever, is apparently leaving. They were a victim of the recent looting, and were unhappy with the police response.

This is heartbreaking. That Macy's was a fixture and part of the heart and soul of the Mag Mile. The hustle and bustle there especially during the holidays was a tradition for the holiday season for me. The holidays and Mag Mile in general, just won't ever be the same with them gone.

Man.....2020 has been a once-in-a-lifetime rough year!
Oh no! This is awful news. I know Macy’s was having issues generally but the Mag Mile location closing?? This is the first I’m reading about this.

And reading up a bit here, yes as I stated here, Macy’s not doing great but that Mag Mile location was primo and attracted shoppers from all over. The Mag Mile is a top shopping retail district in the U.S. 2nd or 3rd maybe after NYC 5th Ave.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
First domino ...soon the magnificent mile will be the new 8 mile
LOL..that is funny despite how bad this news is.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Lightfoot is all talk. She’s enabling this repeatedly.
She needs to let police use the force they need to protect themselves, citizens and property. These people are domestic terrorists and should be charged as such.
Yes, it’s time to pull Richard J Daley’s ‘68 play book out.

Two plans of action from Richard the First 1968:

1) MLK west side riots: shoot to maim looters, shoot to kill arsonists.

2) Democrat Convention: stop and block marches; sweep the streets, do what ya gotta do. Give the fight they want.

Especially with the Number 2s (pun intended) we have today, like ‘68, many were looking for a fight over several nights and days during the convention. Cops fed up with abuse etc...ended up with the battle of Michigan Avenue and very quickly it was all over.

Today we are in month 3 of the ‘68 convention with rounds of Number 1s intermixed.

Last edited by Castlebar; 08-14-2020 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Did someone here call black people animals?.
No excuse for that.
Allow me to share something, my family once was part of the solution; as a Jewish owned white business employing black residents.
This was in the worst hood on the west side, said business was burned to the ground 50 years ago during the last major riots in Chicago.
That said, how willing would you be to invest time, resources, and $$$ into an area yet again?.
I also grew up attending a black church, in which during a sermon said black minister stated the following:
"African-Americans need to shed the generational mindset of slavery".
Boy was that an unpopular sermon!, but he was right in many respects.

I have often felt the high murder rate being ignored has been intentional, a political means of genocide by doing nothing.
Forget about the government helping you, I have; it's time for AA's to unite; and do for themselves.
If they can manage this, you'll find rich people more willing to chip in again.
I feel your pain, who would want to invest in an area after riots and looting if there was no protection going forward? Just about nobody. That's why the Mag Mile has to be protected. It's also Chicago's core, tourism spot, and an area that keeps Chicago as a reputable and desirable place to live and visit. Let that disintegrate and people and businesses will leave. Stopping the rioting and looting is crucial, not an option. The sooner the better and less fall out.
However......something must be replaced for the black population, income. There's going to be more B&E if income during covid is not there. Many of these people do not qualify for unemployment, or very little. I remember waitressing during some of my college years and most tipping was under the table, official wage was $2.51 at the time. How are these types of job history supposed to get by on whatever is given to them for unemployment? Bottom line is people are going to do whatever they have to do to survive, survival comes before morality of obeying the law. To those who might dispute that, I ask them to honestly answer what they are going to do if they are going to get evicted and have nowhere to go. Steal or get evicted? I think it's a no brainer for most people. And yes, not all of those looters are poor people going to be evicted, some are just opportunists. However we can't ignore the fact that many lower paid jobs are tips and similar that are not replaced by unemployment. Some of these people may accept their fate and move in together in even more cramped quarters to survive, sure. But when a person's luck has run out and they see other options they may take them, legal or not. I'm just asking people to think through what it truly must be like to live a life of hardship.
Yes it is time to let the "I'm a descendent of slavery so something is owed to me" mindset go. But it is not time to let go that most poor black people are severely at a disadvantage by their education level and marketable skill level. You and I Sunbiz, do not know what it is like to not be able to form a proper sentence in the English language or spell the words or fill out a job application. That is not common in severely impoverished neighborhoods. We so often forget just how much of a disadvantage there is. How to look through the eyes of a young black man that does not understand the question on a job application.

I believe there is also a severe low self esteem problem that is pervasive in the impoverished neighborhoods. "Pull yourself up by your boot straps" I don't believe exists as a mindset if you have no history pulling up your boot straps successfully within your family, neighborhood, or inner city culture as having ever had a better life. It's like believing in living on Mars. We have to at least consider that this is true and remember that these people do suffer from this. They've never known high self esteem, they don't know what it feels like. I truly believe they suffer from culturally low self esteem mass depression.
As for your comment that they need to unite, unfortunately they do seem to have organized to unite.....they've united on social media for planned mass lootings. Not what we would hope for. We must react to the truth of the moment not what we hope they would do or what we would do.
So what can Chicago do RIGHT NOW ?
The city can enter the disadvantaged neighborhoods with truckloads of food and necessities and give it out for free. The city can also get the word out that looting will not be tolerated and that the penalties will be severe, essentially saying "no more steal freebies" come get the ones offered.
Is this giving out too much "free stuff" as some republicans snidely complain about?
No, it is no different than the offerings during the great depression. This pandemic is similar. Exteme times call for extreme measures.
Yes black people need to help out here, and I'm sure many are speaking out against what the criminals are doing.
I fully agree that ignoring the black inner city murder rate is akin to genocide. The police force in those neighborhoods needs to be massive all the time until it stops, cameras on every corner, national guard, whatever it takes. And you know what is sad about all of that? It's convincing black people that they do indeed matter enough to protect their lives, that the rest of us CARE ENOUGH to do something about it. That we would send in the troops not to penalize them, but to protect them. Getting that message across is not easy, the black community themselves must be involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago