Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 10:45 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Well that figures, they've also made spraying your tags with rustoleum reflective paint illegal; which of course defeats cameras.
They certainly cover all the bases when it comes to usury, in the form of taxation/policing for profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 12:58 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDavid View Post
I must be the only sucker. I usually get 5-10 per year but I have to drive around all over town. With traffic, looking for school/park signs, electric scooters, bicycles, mopeds, electric skateboards and people darting to cross the streets I forget about the cameras. These pedestrians that’s crossing the street, they just cross the streets randomly and expect the cars to stop.

It would be nice if they got rid of it. If you put a camera 24/7, 365, and if you have to drive certain amount, law of averages kicks in no matter what. Richard Trump had the data.
You don't have to think about the cameras, you just have to drive safely all the time regardless of whether you think you will get caught. I drive all the time too, not just in Chicago and not just in areas I'm familiar with--I don't always know what the speed limit is or where the cameras are, I just drive prudently and assume someone is always watching.

I also spent a decade living in Washington DC which has red light cameras, speed cameras, stop sign cameras, no-trucks cameras and I didn't get any tickets there either. I also haven't had a parking ticket in years either....

By the way I also don't have trouble following any other laws either.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:34 PM

255 posts, read 133,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
You don't have to think about the cameras, you just have to drive safely all the time regardless of whether you think you will get caught. I drive all the time too, not just in Chicago and not just in areas I'm familiar with--I don't always know what the speed limit is or where the cameras are, I just drive prudently and assume someone is always watching.

I also spent a decade living in Washington DC which has red light cameras, speed cameras, stop sign cameras, no-trucks cameras and I didn't get any tickets there either. I also haven't had a parking ticket in years either....

I was going to start with “LISTEN HERE LADY” but you sound so angelic, I’ll take you at your word. Good for you, please continue being a good person.

Sister Jean, don’t you think this is criminal or this is ok with you.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/after...mera-industry/

Old 09-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post

If I can’t get any sympathy from an angel, how do I go on???

Old 09-07-2020, 06:29 PM

997 posts, read 850,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you have the flexibility to leave such as no attachments, an occupation with broad geographical applicability then I'd definitely recommend leaving. This is the USA and people should have a government that serves the people instead of a corrupt, self-serving, farce full of Democrats that steal from and abuse the people.

I managed to find one of the few decent companies in my profession and unfortunately they are located here. A lot of other people have families and other attachments here that make leaving difficult.

Many companies are stuck here because they built facilities and have workforces firmly engrained in the area that would be a very costly nightmare to move. However, don't expect many companies to make new investments here given how awful the business and governing climate is here. This is reflected in Illinois' lagging economic growth and also depressed real-estate values that are appreciating much slower than other areas and many have not even recovered from 2008.

In short, the Democrats here have failed the people.
And that’s why you should leave! Company’s come and go all the time. You are useing flimsy excuses of why you won’t move. Get over yourself, your staying because you can’t make a better living anywhere else. Your not going to be happy no matter where you end up.
Change your occupation, pull yourself up by your bootstraps get some retraining, Maybe a student loan from your good friend Betsy devos. You’ll be rolling in the dough, move to a low tax state and be done complaining.
I’ve done it, no big deal, and I have tons of family (all of it) here, 7 rentals, few other parcels. Etc.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
And that’s why you should leave! Company’s come and go all the time. You are useing flimsy excuses of why you won’t move. Get over yourself, your staying because you can’t make a better living anywhere else. Your not going to be happy no matter where you end up.
Change your occupation, pull yourself up by your bootstraps get some retraining, Maybe a student loan from your good friend Betsy devos. You’ll be rolling in the dough, move to a low tax state and be done complaining.
I’ve done it, no big deal, and I have tons of family (all of it) here, 7 rentals, few other parcels. Etc.
My goodness liledgy. Liledgy is right. Don't wanna **** you off. j/k

In all fairness, its not like he's complaining about nothing. Mike Madigan much? We ain't crook county for nothing. I like the advice you gave him but can we soften the edge lil bit? Don't wanna sound like the GOP voters now, do we? They do like the complain though. They've got the best president ever they could dream of. They should be happy.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:39 PM

I must say though, I would not mind seeing a republican Mayor here in Chicago just to shake things up. Its not fair.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:17 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
MSchemist80, I am sorry to hear that. I don’t know where you are but My property taxes have gone up incrementally and the price of everything always goes up. I’ve never heard of getting taxed into foreclosure. Death? Yes I have. In general property value does not decline due to taxes. In my experience, it’s more Supply/demand driven but I understand your frustration completely. What is better? I have no idea. While I might agree with the president’s fiscal ideals, I do not share his values morals and ethics. And I don’t like how Other conservatives are busy running around covering up for him.
If you're in Chicago city proper, your Cook County taxes are being subsidized by suburban Cook. I'm paying just under six grand on a house the county assesses at $205K, but I would sell tomorrow for $150K. That means I'm paying a "real" rate of almost four percent. What is your "real" rate in the city?

I shouldn't complain, because many in the south and far south suburbs are paying a much higher rate than I am. It's unsustainable, and if it isn't reason to detest Illinois government, it'll do till a reason gets here. If a tornado ever knocks mine down, I'll take the insurance dollars, fill in the basement, and sell the vacant lot to the next door neighbor with the condition it can't be built on for fifty years, just to deprive IL of the tax dollars going forward.

Old 09-07-2020, 10:39 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Yeah, they’re not McDonalds that’s for sure. I mean wouldn’t it be nice to expect the people in Government to lookout for people’s interests and behave properly and just be normal and decent human beings? It is very easy for me to live like this. Why is it so hard for others?
You are a man with a heart and a conscience.

Chicago politicians are sociopaths.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You are a man with a heart and a conscience.

Chicago politicians are sociopaths.
I am. Game recognize game. Any politicians are sociopaths. But it’s a problem these days. Nobody has any conscience. I mean I’m not perfect but you know I have a lot of common sense. It’s a problem in business. You can’t have any. If I am madigan, EVERYBODY knows he a crook. Why don’t they go get him? Better yet, why won’t he step down? Because that would be admission of guilt? As if? Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago