Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:48 PM

25 posts, read 98,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well for someone who is looking for affordability, you should know that Lakeview is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city. What kind of combined rent/utilities budget are you looking at?
I would like to stay under $1000 for rent and utilities. I'm finding a lot of studios that are in the 700s in Lakeview. I don't need cable or a landline phone as long as I can have a DSL connection for internet so I don't need room in the budget for that. I also have no furniture so a small/shoebox sized place wouldn't bother me.

I am still job hunting but assuming that I make at least as I make in Kalamazoo (which shouldn't be a problem) I can afford up to $1k/month on rent and utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Obviously DSL is widely available, and I believe AT&T has a deal with Yahoo that does a combined DSL/VoIP package for something ridiculously cheap like $40/mo or something. It's dynamic IP, so as long as you don't need static that would be something to look into. EDIT: OK, I just looked into it and it looks to be more like $65/mo. Plus I don't know if its VoIP or POTS, but in either case, you get unlimited nationwide calling as part of the package.

As you've already found out, you should be able to find studios in your price range even in Lakeview, though if you're willing to consider a neighborhood a little further from the lake (which might be in your best interest anyway if you're aiming to keep your car) such as west Lakeview, Bucktown or Wicker Park then you should be able to find a bona-fide one-bedroom in your price range. Others to consider are Lincoln Square, North Center/St. Ben's, and Roscoe Village.

Speaking of Bucktown, you said you've had problems finding it on a neighborhood map... Bucktown is the area roughly between the Chicago River to the east, Western Avenue to the west (I'd even go as far as Rockwell or California Avenue), North Avenue to the south (or maybe a couple blocks north of there) and Fullerton Avenue to the north. If you've been able to find Wicker Park, Bucktown is the neighborhood directly to the north of it. The two seamlessly merge into one another and they are, for all intents and purposes, a single neighborhood. You'll frequently see them referred to together, as in "Bucktown/Wicker Park."

Hopefully the following can be useful in budgeting your utilities:

My electric bill runs about $50/mo if averaged year-round, including running the A/C in summer. And that's for a big apartment -- but it's also for a first-floor unit. If you're up on a third or fourth floor, expect to pay a little more to keep it cool. Of course, you can always get an A/C with a timer on it that shuts off when you're away and kicks on in preparation of your arrival home from work.

My heating bill is brutal. My cheapest heating bill this winter was $230. But again I have a big place (1200sqft) and my windows are insanely leaky. The last place I had was much better insulated and had much better windows and my heating bill was $80/mo in winter. This is definitely something you'll want to look into: many older buildings have central radiator heat so heating may be built into your rent. However, a lot of older buildings have converted over to each unit controlling -- and paying for -- its own heat. You'll want to sort this out before you sign a lease... and if it turns out you're responsible for heat, call People's Gas (assuming you end up in the city) and find out what the February heating bill is. Also, even if heat is built into the rent, you'll still pay for gas if you have a gas stove, but it's a nominal amount -- about $15-20/mo.

Water and trash are almost always paid for by the landlord. I have never had it any other way in the city and I don't know any other tenant who has.

Last edited by Drover; 05-02-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 PM

75 posts, read 224,591 times
Drover's given some great advice! I just moved away from East Lakeview in 2006 (down to Florida) and i have to say, i miss it SO much. We are probably moving back next year. I lived there for 7 years, having moved to the city from the suburbs. and it was a great neighborhood. my first few years, i lived alone and felt very safe there. lots of cute shops along Broadway, plus great restaurants and bars.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
I know of many places by my house that are under 750 with all utilities included. I will send you a QP with the info.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 98,845 times
Drover, thanks a ton for all of the information. That is very useful in planning my budget. I also didn't think to call the gas company for a bill for the previous year; very helpful advice.

Avengerfire, I would love info about places available in that price range, thank you.

Thank you to everyone for all the help. If anyone has anymore suggestions I would love to hear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago