Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:12 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times

Advertisements

HAPPY WINTER! blaaahhhhhhhhh…..

Things are very slow in the jail (YAY!), and I am watching some youtube videos on Chicago, so I can feel my connection to my second home... And I don't want to think of what I am going to walk into when I am done working (my office has no windows! Hmmm. a step up from a cell, I guess).

So trying to think of a nicer time of weather in a favorite Chicago park, what is your favorite/s?

I have had the pleasure to go to many parks in the city with my kids, as they grew up, over the last several years.

One of our favorites might be Indian Boundary Park, in the West Ridge neighborhood. It is a rather big park. It has an old school wooden playground. (I think Oz Park in Lincoln Park neighborhood is the only other one I've seen). It is close to the northern end of Chicago, so it is "closer" to Milwaukee. It is part of a diverse neighborhood. We LOVE the turtles and fish that are still in the pond from the days they had a mini zoo (which, unfortunately, we started going there after it had already moved out ;( And we always do a walk by the Red Door animal shelter to look at the cats in the window, and grab an ice cream at Lickity Splits.

Ahhh, I am ready for the summertime in Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 09:25 AM

68 posts, read 53,587 times
If the beaches count...Foster, Howard, and Montrose for me.

Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 AM

Manson Lamps, Now you're going too FAR!!!!!

Those are great beaches, though!

But go ahead and through a "park" park, if you like!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:12 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,099 times
Growing up it was always Marquette or Gage parks. The sprinklers on a hot day were the best. Now when I come in town to visit it's just Lincoln Park.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:25 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
In no particular order, Portage, Lincoln, Ping Tom, Jackson, Douglas, Garfield, Columbus.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:27 AM

hendersj31, hello. Been a while? I have never been to either of the parks you mentioned. I think they're more south than I typically travel.

I think Marquette will always have a certain connotation due to the demonstration that took place there.

But I much prefer your trip down memory lane when a playground sprinkler, NOT a cell phone, was a kid's pleasure of the day!

Thank you for sharing!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:30 AM

305 posts, read 212,861 times
The terminus of Diversey by the harbor (Lincoln Park) is the most beautiful stretch of park land, imo, in the city. Lovely natural setting dotted by golf and tennis recreation, not to mention a little food hut, and plenty of benches. The proximity to the lake trails is just the icing on top.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM

BOBNCHI, hello. You covered some big parks. Literally.

I do like Ping Tom. Newer. Has some Chinese sculptures around it due to being a quick walk from authentic, yummy Chinese food. And a Water Taxi station! I believe they have kayak rentals, as well?

Portage Park I've been to a couple times. Great swimming pool, with a lot of good history. And a very nice children's splash pad.

Lincoln Park. That is a DAY or TWO DAY excursion: playgrounds, zoo, conservatory, nature center. Wow! Good call on that!

Thank you for sharing.

I am much more enjoying these comments. I left work early. There is a foot of drifted snow I have to go shovel!

I prefer the distraction.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:36 AM

Boddicker, thank you.

You're stirring up some great memories. You just described a place that has something for everyone.

I guess in this day and age, everyone IS a winner!!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:41 AM

BOBNCHI part 2....

I've never been to Jackson Park. I've read of the Japanese Osaka Gardens, but have never been.

Garfield Park. Many times I've gone to their Conservatory. Great times and memories.

Douglas Park I only know from driving by. Once I rode my bicycle through it en route to Little Village.

Columbus Park. Drove through it once, when I decided it was time for me to branch off and start exploring west side neighborhoods. I just don't remember being blown away by that one.

Thanks again for sharing, my friend. Have a great day, as best as this weather gives us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago