Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I find Chicagoans very friendly to the friendly.

However, as Drover touched on, we've got stuff to do. If we're in the Loop during working hours, we're probably busy. If you're of the tourist persuasion, don't stand at the top of the stairs into the underground CTA stations and chat. Don't stop suddenly on a busy sidewalk to consult your Fodor's. Figure out your order before you get to the counter. Drive like you mean it. And on the other hand, as cute as I think it is to see some middle-aged folks from Dubuque 'tough it up' to try to fit in, we know you're from Dubuque. You're wearing a fanny pack and a Key West t-shirt for cryin out loud. We don't hold it against you.

If you do all that, but still get a little lost or confused or curious, a lot of times, we'll ask you if you need help. If not, you may ask us. Be polite and you'll usually get polite. Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office. The train was slow, and there are three new messages on the Blackberry that arrived between North/Clybourn and State/Lake.

Chicagoans tend to respect those who respect us and help those who help themselves.
Thanks, you and Drover both touched on what I meant. Now I just need to head up there and look around some more.... and read more of these forums for some info.

Thanks to all who replied..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
And in between is something I wouldn't mind. And when I say friendly it's not so much as someone asking someone where to go, as just in general. It's easy in KC to strike up a conversation with someone, I also found it easy to do in LA, Houston, and Chicago when I was there but as I said it was awhile back... Miami was not so much rude as it is people just don't talk to each other period, unless they are friends.

Hope this doesn't make me sound like some crazy who goes around trying to make friends with every single person LOL. I just like people mostly being friendly towards one another.
Well if you're just looking to strike up conversations, pretty soon you'll get a feel for where and when you're likely to find receptive folks, and where and when you're not. A bar is always fair game for chatting up strangers unless they're already incredibly engrossed in conversation with one of their friends. But if they're sitting at the bar and talking loudly enough for everyone around them to hear, you can probably join in. On a packed L train full of people who are either a) psyching themselves up to go to work or b) trying to decompress after work is not a good time and place to strike up a chat. On a sidewalk full of people coming and going... not a good time to strike up a conversation with a stranger. In line at the grocery store... maybe. Some are receptive and some aren't. The more upscale (and therefore the less likely to have riff-raff), the more likely a polite conversation will occur. In "common-man" grocery stores it's more common to run into weirdos so people are a bit more guarded there.

That's just a small sample of the unwritten rules you'll sort out eventually.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office.
Brilliant.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office.
I unfortunately know one of those Greenpeace kids. and he's annoying anyways, let alone trying to get you to help the environment.

Quote:
As I said, if you feel that strangers not talking to each other is rude then I can tell you you won't like any major city including Chicago.
And this is why Chicago is like heaven to me. I don't want a bunch of strangers talking to me for no reason.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
I've never found St. Louis people to be rude, but maybe that's just me. And rude can mean different things. I'm not generally rude, but if some stranger stops me on the street and starts asking all kinds of questions, I'll probably get a little impatient. People have things to do, and they don't always appreciate being stopped.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 PM

52 posts, read 202,949 times
Quote:
Are homeless people a problem in Chicago? More so than Manhattan?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Amen!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post

And this is why Chicago is like heaven to me. I don't want a bunch of strangers talking to me for no reason.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the average Chicagoan is barraged by an average of 5 homeless dudes, 3 flyer distributors, and at least 1 Greenpeace kid between the train and the office. The train was slow, and there are three new messages on the Blackberry that arrived between North/Clybourn and State/Lake.
This is so true. If a stranger comes up to me on the street, my first instinct is to avoid eye contact and to make sure that no one comes near my wallet. But if someone really needs help, and not that "I'm out of gas and need $20 because my kids are in the car" scam kind of help, I'm always willing to do it. And if someone fell on the sidewalk or had an emergency, I'd treat them like my own family by making sure they'd get the help they needed.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:57 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsky View Post
Are homeless people a problem in Chicago? More so than Manhattan?
In some pockets.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
They're a problem when they set fire to buildings to keep warm and end up killing four people, and instead of being found guilty but mentally ill which would better ensure that they are institutionalized so they don't hurt more people, they're found not guilty instead. I'm so glad we're such a compassionate society that we can't bring ourselves to institutionalize the mentally ill, figuring it's much better to let them wander around in their own filth, drooling on each other and setting fire to buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago