Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 09:50 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I moved to Texas from Chicago and there's absolutely no way I would ever move back to Chicago from here. I honestly don't get how people tolerate some of the stuff that happens in Chicago. Perhaps they'ven ever lived anywhere else so they don't realize those things are abnormal.
this quote hits in on the head..if you dont know any better, you think its normal to see the criminal and political dystopia that now exists in chicagoland..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 11:11 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
Quote:
I moved to Texas from Chicago and there's absolutely no way I would ever move back to Chicago from here. I honestly don't get how people tolerate some of the stuff that happens in Chicago. Perhaps they'ven ever lived anywhere else so they don't realize those things are abnormal.

To give you an example of how well Texas works, yesterday I went to a gas station and the pump was malfunctioning. I reported it to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation and got a call from an inspector about an hour later. Meanwhile, in Illinois it took over 6mo for my FOID address to be changed and every time I called, I got no answer on the phone.

On a different topic, I think a lot of younger people from the Midwest want to live in Chicago. It makes sense. It's a cool city that's great for younger people.

It’s the same situation in NYC and about the young people it’s all about skyscrapers, density, restaurant selection and everything else. Priorities change and that’s not a bad thing.

Old 08-20-2021, 11:13 AM

249 posts, read 181,986 times
Quote:

To give you an example of how well Texas works, yesterday I went to a gas station and the pump was malfunctioning. I reported it to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation and got a call from an inspector about an hour later. Meanwhile, in Illinois it took over 6mo for my FOID address to be changed and every time I called, I got no answer on the phone.

On a different topic, I think a lot of younger people from the Midwest want to live in Chicago. It makes sense. It's a cool city that's great for younger people.
People from every industrialized nation can't fathom people walking around in a grocery store or coffee shop with an AR15 slung over their shoulder. So yeah, you have a point about normalizing.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:

You are the opposite if me. I would move back in a hot second.

Texas has outsized power in deciding which textbooks students in the rest of the country see. Because the market is so large, Texas has used that power to promote conservative themes in history textbooks, de-emphasize evolution in science textbooks, and generally dumb things down.

Texas ranks first in percentage of uninsured children, fourtth in percentage of children living in poverty, first in percentage of population uninsured, first in percentage of non-elderly uninsured, 49th in percent of low Income population covered by Medicaid, 48th in percent of population with employer-based healthcare, 49th in per capita spending on Medicaid, and fourth in percent living below the poverty level. Oh, and Texas is almost always first in executions.

Texas ranks first in 1st in carbon dioxide emissions, volatile organic compounds released into the air, amount of toxic chemicals released into the water, amount of recognized cancer causing carcinogens released into the air, and amount of hazardous waste generated.

Texas has the fourth highest teen birth rate in America and are dead last in first-trimester prenatal care. 52 out of every 1,000 teens in Texas will give birth this year.

Texas is dead last in voter turnout and 48th in voter registration.

Texas has the 7th highest number of people living below the poverty line.

Only 17% of Texans have a bachelor's degree and a mere 8% have a graduate degree.

Texas has the fourth highest bankruptcy rate in the country.

Texas has brutal, sweltering summers that last anywhere from 5-7 months of the year

Old 08-20-2021, 04:22 PM

yeah, no one wants to move to texas..

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...0other%20state.

Old 08-20-2021, 04:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I did not say that but it is the jobs they move for not the amenities in the state

Old 08-20-2021, 10:42 PM

934 posts, read 1,440,423 times
Quote:

I guess it depends on what you can tolerate. I personally can't stand oppressively hot summers, endless suburban-style sprawl and car culture, poor walkability, hence Texas is not a great match.

I stay in Chicago because I love having public transit, the pre-war architecture, the history, and the city is still a solid place for opportunity. Plus the built urban environment, amenities combined with the cost of living in Chicago is hard to match in this country. And it's good to know the city is growing and other people are seeing the value of living here.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 08-20-2021 at 10:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 12:16 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:

A lot of movement to Texas, most of it from dark blue states like California , Illinois, and New York into major TX metros. That is why eventually, Texas was going to turn blue. Then it's gonna be like here, only hotter!

Old 08-21-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
A lot of movement to Texas, most of it from dark blue states like California , Illinois, and New York into major TX metros. That is why eventually, Texas was going to turn blue. Then it's gonna be like here, only hotter!
maybe in Austin/Dallas, and Houston, but the other areas of the state will never turn blue..

Old 08-21-2021, 01:38 PM

249 posts, read 181,986 times
Quote:
maybe in Austin/Dallas, and Houston, but the other areas of the state will never turn blue..
i think he means the state overall, as a whole. City metro area population outnumbers rural areas easily in just about every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago