Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 01:14 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times

Advertisements

Census is showing Chicago grew by 50,000 people over the last decade which seems to be good news as I think many were expecting losses. Slow growth, but it is growth. Thoughts? Is this a continuing trend for the next decade?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/8/...al-composition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 01:45 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
We always hear about the droves of people leaving Chicago, and Illinois in general. I don't doubt there are a significant numbers looking to go to places like Florida, Tennessee, and Texas. But I am on a variety of progressive, liberal Facebook pages and there are similar numbers of people wanting to get out of the red state places and go to a "blue" place where they are surrounded by people more like minded. Many are looking for recommendations of where to go. Many recommendations are for Chicago and its liberal suburbs of Evanston, and Oak Park.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:26 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Census is showing Chicago grew by 50,000 people over the last decade which seems to be good news as I think many were expecting losses. Slow growth, but it is growth. Thoughts? Is this a continuing trend for the next decade?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/8/...al-composition
Definitely good news, though probably not a surprise after the state numbers were released earlier in the year showing a small decline. It was obvious the declines would be coming from rural areas. If Chicago can get control of crime and its pension mess, I think growth will continue.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:44 PM

82 posts, read 95,832 times
Anyone who's driven down 290 or 55 during rush hours knows that the metro population ain't shrinking around here....

Old 08-12-2021, 07:21 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
I thought we'd lose 50-100000 driven by Black out migration which did occur (over 80000) but not as bad as it was 10 years ago so I'm pleasantly surprised. Also strong gains in Asian and Hispanic population as well as marginal gains in the White population were able to offset the Black population decline. Still Chicago's 2020 population is about where it was in 1920 and about 900000 less then what it was in 1950. I still think Houston will overtake Chicago before 2050 unless some miraculous miracle happens and a massive construction boom floods new residents in the abandoned areas of the Southside

Old 08-12-2021, 08:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
We always hear about the droves of people leaving Chicago, and Illinois in general. I don't doubt there are a significant numbers looking to go to places like Florida, Tennessee, and Texas. But I am on a variety of progressive, liberal Facebook pages and there are similar numbers of people wanting to get out of the red state places and go to a "blue" place where they are surrounded by people more like minded. Many are looking for recommendations of where to go. Many recommendations are for Chicago and its liberal suburbs of Evanston, and Oak Park.
I am currently in Texas and would be back in Evanston if I could. My grandchildren are here and my son works in oil and gas so Houston was a no brainer. It is way too hot though. People are usually nice and the suburb I live in is very diverse. We have 2 more years here - grandson will graduate from high school and then we can move. Probably will be in the Boston area since that is where my dd lives now.

Texas has a jerk for a governor - he is telling school districts he will fine them if they impose mask mandates, yet the hospitals here have almost no pediatric ICU beds for kids who have COVID.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:51 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am currently in Texas and would be back in Evanston if I could. My grandchildren are here and my son works in oil and gas so Houston was a no brainer. It is way too hot though. People are usually nice and the suburb I live in is very diverse. We have 2 more years here - grandson will graduate from high school and then we can move. Probably will be in the Boston area since that is where my dd lives now.

Texas has a jerk for a governor - he is telling school districts he will fine them if they impose mask mandates, yet the hospitals here have almost no pediatric ICU beds for kids who have COVID.
Yeah, I had my family in Texas asking how I can stand the corrupt Democratic leadership in Illinois and why not move. I told them I can deal with the corruption, I just can't handle stupid.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:55 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
The last thing Evanston needs is more leftist lunatics. It used to be a more normal place even 20 years ago. It is still a fantastic place to live. However, it is also becoming a place for wealthy white “progressives” to destroy with their virtue signaling.

I am a little surprised that Chicago grew because there are so many people leaving the south and west sides of town, in particular.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:01 AM

249 posts, read 182,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I thought we'd lose 50-100000 driven by Black out migration which did occur (over 80000) but not as bad as it was 10 years ago so I'm pleasantly surprised. Also strong gains in Asian and Hispanic population as well as marginal gains in the White population were able to offset the Black population decline. Still Chicago's 2020 population is about where it was in 1920 and about 900000 less then what it was in 1950. I still think Houston will overtake Chicago before 2050 unless some miraculous miracle happens and a massive construction boom floods new residents in the abandoned areas of the Southside
Big reason why Houston has grown is because it keeps annexing land into their city. Chicago's population would undoubtedly grow if it did the same thing. Houston is almost 3 times the size of Chicago. If it annexed just Evanston, Cicero, and Skokie our population would be almost 3 million, and that's just 3 suburbs.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:04 AM

249 posts, read 182,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The last thing Evanston needs is more leftist lunatics. It used to be a more normal place even 20 years ago. It is still a fantastic place to live. However, it is also becoming a place for wealthy white “progressives” to destroy with their virtue signaling.

I am a little surprised that Chicago grew because there are so many people leaving the south and west sides of town, in particular.
If you detest liberals so much than Evanston is not a good match, I think you'd be happier in Mt. Greenwood or Wheaton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago