Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 07:37 PM

74 posts, read 67,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I agree with you. Some city limits like Houston Phoenix and LA are massive while others are much smaller. Long gone are the days where cities dominated the metro areas. Now the vast majority of residents in a metro area live outside the city limits. As for price tags, Chicago was inexpensive at one point but imo city gov leaders are trying hard to make this city unaffordable for lower and middle income earners. Chicago ranks second in most expensive state and local sales taxes. Add all the additional fees as well as the property taxes and there you have it.

Still cheaper than some other major cities though.

https://federalcos.com/blog/chicago-cost-of-living/

I think for Chicago you really need to stratify the data due to the high level of segregation. Generally speaking, nobody with options is going to move to the south or west sides. Alot of people like to lump the city together when it suits them (such as housing costs) but divide it up when it suits as well (fastest growing business district, isolating crime by neighborhood). Fact of the matter is people who are moving to Chicago are looking at the northside or simply passing by, there's no interest or reason for them to consider the remainder of the city in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 08:32 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I think for Chicago you really need to stratify the data due to the high level of segregation. Generally speaking, nobody with options is going to move to the south or west sides. Alot of people like to lump the city together when it suits them (such as housing costs) but divide it up when it suits as well (fastest growing business district, isolating crime by neighborhood). Fact of the matter is people who are moving to Chicago are looking at the northside or simply passing by, there's no interest or reason for them to consider the remainder of the city in most cases.
This is Chicago's black eye. I love the city, but if there is one thing Chicago has major problems with its residential segregation.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:28 AM

44 posts, read 34,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cuccino View Post
Big reason why Houston has grown is because it keeps annexing land into their city. Chicago's population would undoubtedly grow if it did the same thing. Houston is almost 3 times the size of Chicago. If it annexed just Evanston, Cicero, and Skokie our population would be almost 3 million, and that's just 3 suburbs.
I think annexing Harwood Heights and Norridge first makes more sense, and then the others. But yes this would be a good way to boost population.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 11,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This is Chicago's black eye. I love the city, but if there is one thing Chicago has major problems with its residential segregation.

Lmao yet homes on the southside are selling faster than on the northside.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xOA6CIUCxkYd7W

Anybody who still parrots that dump "only the northside is good, south and west side bad" haven't been to the south lakefront area or bridgeport or mckinley park recently. Theres SO much development happening.

Old 05-14-2022, 02:50 PM

817 posts, read 922,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredyz View Post
I think annexing Harwood Heights and Norridge first makes more sense, and then the others. But yes this would be a good way to boost population.
I don't think you can just annex an incorporated village or city, otherwise I would suggest annexing Green Bay and using it for a toxic waste dump.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:14 PM

474 posts, read 531,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantheturtle View Post

Anybody who still parrots that dump "only the northside is good, south and west side bad" haven't been to the south lakefront area or bridgeport or mckinley park recently. Theres SO much development happening.
I don’t think that was the point AASB was making at all. Residential segregation is just a fact of Chicago’s DNA.

Also faster sales / home price growth doesn’t necessarily mean those parts of the South Side are eclipsing the North Side in popularity - if anything we might expect South Side home values to grow more quickly vis-a-vis Lincoln Park, Lakeview etc. because the latter are mature demand neighborhoods.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:24 AM

74 posts, read 67,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantheturtle View Post

Easier to buy when there's nothing but cheap homes, tons of empty plots and government housing programs than in an area surrounded by million dollar housing units, such a crazy revelation.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 AM

867 posts, read 1,372,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
Easier to buy when there's nothing but cheap homes, tons of empty plots and government housing programs than in an area surrounded by million dollar housing units, such a crazy revelation.
Homes selling for 200k or more dosen't sound cheap to me. You seem pretty ignorant about south side real estate.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:18 PM

1,068 posts, read 917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Homes selling for 200k or more dosen't sound cheap to me. You seem pretty ignorant about south side real estate.
$200k is very cheap...especially in the third largest city in US.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
$200k is very cheap...especially in the third largest city in US.
Yep, I was thinking the exact same thing. Good luck finding anything for $200K in LA or NYC that's not reserved for government-assisted housing. Let alone in San Francisco, Boston, or San Diego. Even in Oakland, you'd be hard-pressed finding anything other than a foreclosure for that price.

$200K is dirt cheap and unheard of in any of the costal cities that Chicago is peers with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago