Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 01:37 PM

21 posts, read 13,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning to all.

I'm wondering, how often are the parents going to visit? I mean, if it's 1 to 5 times a year, you would NOT get a place in East Lake View that you like, because it's close to a gay community, for THEIR sake?

Well then, why NOT live in West Ridge in an Indian community for THEIR sake, for when they come to visit their 1 to 5 (or however many times)?

How about Albany Park? Diverse. Not too high energy with clubs. Close to the Brown Line. Far "enough" from Andersonville and the former BoysTown, and close enough to West Ridge if your parents want to see an Indian community in their sons town..

Point noted. Well I am not choosing specificaly for them per se. I just need a decent place for a year. I would figure out the city by the time the lease ends. Or maybe sooner. Its not so hard and fast rule for me, just asking for a general guideline of the city neighbourhoods. Last time I was here, I wasn't able to dive deep down into the city and the culture, as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb23 View Post
I gotta ask about winters. Like proper continental winters and their impact on a street parked bike and your desire to mount it in the morning.

I'm from Sydney and we have plenty of your folk in here.. My observation is that people from your part of the world don benies when it is 60(16C) and call it freezing when the temp drops to 50(10C)...

Yeah... its true. What can I say, can't do much. Its in the genes, still gotta try stuff .

Last edited by cosec; 08-22-2021 at 01:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Cosec, Chicago is gay everywhere the nice areas are, so you'll have to deal. But, if you want to avoid the most gay-centric areas, that's boys town (now renamed northalsted) and andersonville. If you want the least gayest areas, those tend to be the crappiest areas to live in too...I don't recommend those.

Spot on. Exactly what I needed to understand !

Old 08-22-2021, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Halsted and Roscoe feels like the perfect spot for OP if no one has recommended it yet.

haha, got called out myself by the Master.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec View Post
Thanks.

Well, its more like, not for me but for my parents and the impression it would form, when they visit. Mind you I am coming from literally the other side of the world. It's a bit hard to explain this kind of stuff to people of that culture. Its still going to take 20 years, in my town, for this stuff to get normal.

So, I am not a PC guy particularly and still not old enough to be as mature as I would want to be. So I try to keep myself out of trouble, lest if I give some arguemntative idiot an earful and cause a scence.
Its a whole 'from the other part of the world' issue.
Thank you for the explanation. Actually, it makes sense... to me, at least. And, I somehow guessed you were Indian from this post!

I think the poster recommending Halsted and Roscoe was trying to be funny. That intersection is pretty much "Ground Zero" for the gay male community.

As another poster mentioned, there are visible gays pretty much everywhere in the nicer parts of Chicago. But in most instances they're just part of the overall diversity, they don't dominate those areas. No one will assume you're gay just for living in those areas.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Guys, G in MP pointed out the main theme, that I was not aware of.

And as a general rule of thumb, it can be considered, nicer areas = not deserted? Not saying crappy areas can't be crowded too, but lets stick to the subject.

Nobody mentoined these areas below. What about it ?

West Loop
Little Italy
Greektown
River West
Noble Square
Wicker Park
Bucktown

Last edited by cosec; 08-22-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-22-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Thank you for the explanation. Actually, it makes sense... to me, at least. And, I somehow guessed you were Indian from this post!

I think the poster recommending Halsted and Roscoe was trying to be funny. That intersection is pretty much "Ground Zero" for the gay male community.

As another poster mentioned, there are visible gays pretty much everywhere in the nicer parts of Chicago. But in most instances they're just part of the overall diversity, they don't dominate those areas. No one will assume you're gay just for living in those areas.

Thank you.

Well the "Ground Zero" was a gotcha !

I am getting the picture now. See them anywhere doesn't mean spread out everywhere, they have their own pocket as their major lay of the land. Got it.

All I was wanted from inputs here was, 'don't put me around gay people'. As the only nice place similar to Old Town I saw last time, was Lincoln Ave .

Old 08-22-2021, 05:37 PM

52 posts, read 48,473 times
Avoid at all costs. The city is very antagonistic towards allowing responsible law abiding citizens to excersize The inalienable right of self defense via the 2nd Ammendment, yet in this gun free environment, it has some of the highest crime in the USA.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:34 PM

249 posts, read 182,312 times
Quote:
Guys, G in MP pointed out the main theme, that I was not aware of.

And as a general rule of thumb, it can be considered, nicer areas = not deserted? Not saying crappy areas can't be crowded too, but lets stick to the subject.

Nobody mentoined these areas below. What about it ?

West Loop
Little Italy
Greektown
River West
Noble Square
Wicker Park
Bucktown
West Loop is a nice area, lots of Indian Americans live in that area. Lots of restaurants. Area around Fulton Market is very lively, it gets quieter as you go a few blocks south and west. Greektown is part of West Loop. I'd avoid Wicker Park if you don''t want a rowdy nightlife scene.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:53 PM

41 posts, read 44,048 times
Quote:
Point noted. Well I am not choosing specificaly for them per se. I just need a decent place for a year. I would figure out the city by the time the lease ends. Or maybe sooner. Its not so hard and fast rule for me, just asking for a general guideline of the city neighbourhoods. Last time I was here, I wasn't able to dive deep down into the city and the culture, as much.
It sounds like you really like Old Town/Gold Coast. Why not just focus on that area? It's near the Farmer's Market, Lots of restaurants, a transportation hub. Budget might be a little tight, but since it's only for a year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago