Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 04:22 PM

460 posts, read 779,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
MPRetired, good morning!

Hoping you have some sun when you move in December. Are you at liberty to share the neighborhood you settled on?

As you said, there will be no shortage of EXCELLENT food places! Do you have any particular food style/ethnicity? Any that Chicago has made famous??

I have heard of the craft beer breweries popping up, so I'm sure you will enjoy checking those out! That's a "thing" in Milwaukee, as well. Unfortunately I am not a beer fan. I usually sip a cabernet. If I drink beer, I like Mexican imports.... but those breweries always seem to be very lively!

You mentioned Peri-Peri!!! That's awesome! We do not have those in Milwaukee, neither. I discovered those while dating a lady from the Chicago area, and I took her to the ones in the suburbs of Oak Park, and 2 locations in the suburb of Skokie.

GOOD CALL ON THAT PLACE!!!!

Moving to West Ridge, just within city limits.

I'm a big fan of Indian and Southeast Asian food, so I think I'm in a good location with Little India nearby. But anything different is usually good by me. I'm in metro Denver right now which is kind of lacking in the diversity of eateries. I like good pizza too, and not afraid to go after non-traditional toppings.

Hoping to bike and kayak a bit in my spare time. Was really surprised how much cheaper it is to live in Chicago than Denver. Insurance, cost of housing, food/beer, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 05:34 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
Moving to West Ridge, just within city limits.

I'm a big fan of Indian and Southeast Asian food, so I think I'm in a good location with Little India nearby. But anything different is usually good by me. I'm in metro Denver right now which is kind of lacking in the diversity of eateries. I like good pizza too, and not afraid to go after non-traditional toppings.

Hoping to bike and kayak a bit in my spare time. Was really surprised how much cheaper it is to live in Chicago than Denver. Insurance, cost of housing, food/beer, etc...
I grew up in Rogers Park. Check out Candelite Pizza on Western. Cracker thin crust. You will love all the restaurants along Devon ave. too.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:55 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
MPRetired, good day!

I am a fan of West Ridge. I LOVE their Indian Boundary Park. So many memories of my kids as they grew up, going there.

I am part Croatian, and on Devon, in the midst of the Indian and Pakistan shops and restaurants is the Croatian Culture Center!

And I have seen Jewish pizza parlors in that area, as well.

I think you will enjoy biking and kayaking along the north branch river, in addition to other trails that are nearby.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-20-2021, 09:59 AM

EllieKay56, good morning.

I did not read your comment in time!

I drove down Western Avenue, yesterday, from Evanston to Lincoln Square.

I noticed the Mexican restaurant, El Garcia, which I plan to try.

But I did not notice a Candellite pizza place (not that I can remember!).

Thank you for the suggestion!

Old 10-21-2021, 03:32 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Chicago....a place too big to visit, but it's fun to live there.

Let's start with the grid. Sounds stupid, but you really can't get lost in Chicago, especially once you know the grid.

The el. Maybe it's different now, but it's cheap and it runs and it will take you to huge parts of the city.
The food. You have no idea how much I miss the food of Chicago.

The corner bars. There's no bars here. I guess not enough alcoholics...but having your corner bar was nice.

The holiday festivals. I google St. Patrick's Day in my neighborhood and the only thing it can come up with is the Shamrock Shake from McDonalds.

The dress. Long wool coats, sharp scarves, formal attire seems natural in the dark winter days. It bursts into pastels and the whole down revitalizes as those heavy dark clothes are ditched until the lazy days of summer are here again. Floppy hats and BBQs, festivals and bands. And on into jackets and brisk walks as the trees say their adieu.

The parks. Someone, somewhere did it right.

The buildings....it just gives a larger than self feel.

The people....so many fun memories in the City.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:55 AM

artilery77, good morning,

WOW! What a write up!

It sounds like you are more than ready to make a trip back!

You are spot on in your analysis!

Do you have a FAVORITE restaurant, corner bar, and park???

Do you have a favorite McDonalds in Chicago that serves those delicious Shamrock Shakes?

Thank you for sharing!

Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Chicago....a place too big to visit, but it's fun to live there.

Let's start with the grid. Sounds stupid, but you really can't get lost in Chicago, especially once you know the grid.

The el. Maybe it's different now, but it's cheap and it runs and it will take you to huge parts of the city.
The food. You have no idea how much I miss the food of Chicago.

The corner bars. There's no bars here. I guess not enough alcoholics...but having your corner bar was nice.

The holiday festivals. I google St. Patrick's Day in my neighborhood and the only thing it can come up with is the Shamrock Shake from McDonalds.

The dress. Long wool coats, sharp scarves, formal attire seems natural in the dark winter days. It bursts into pastels and the whole down revitalizes as those heavy dark clothes are ditched until the lazy days of summer are here again. Floppy hats and BBQs, festivals and bands. And on into jackets and brisk walks as the trees say their adieu.

The parks. Someone, somewhere did it right.

The buildings....it just gives a larger than self feel.

The people....so many fun memories in the City.
Back in the 70s after we outgrew our 1st apartment, when our son was born, we moved by Harding and Montrose. I decided to take him for a walk in his stroller. We crossed Pulaski and walked for over an hour. I had the hardest time finding my way back. Elston cuts at an angle and the streets run in funny directions. It took me a few times but I figured it out.

Old 10-23-2021, 12:18 AM

512 posts, read 321,478 times
The lakefront and all it offers is a huge part of what makes me love Chicago. I feel so alive and relaxed and just connected to the city when I am walking/running/biking through the lakefront's trails. I just love it.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:31 AM

Oramasfella, Exactly! The people and the energy are phenomenal. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy it all to the fullest!!

Old 10-29-2021, 09:24 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Back in the 70s after we outgrew our 1st apartment, when our son was born, we moved by Harding and Montrose. I decided to take him for a walk in his stroller. We crossed Pulaski and walked for over an hour. I had the hardest time finding my way back. Elston cuts at an angle and the streets run in funny directions. It took me a few times but I figured it out.

Ok to be fair, there's a couple neighborhoods along Elston/Caldwell that didn't get the memo. I'm a quarter Polish....but I'm not sure that allows me to say anything more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago