Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2024, 12:00 PM

7,050 posts, read 11,355,201 times

Advertisements

Pulling a gun on a guy with a gun is probably increasing the risk level for all involved. The perp could have started shooting him and the potential victim.

I get the idea that if you have a weapon, you want to defend the person, but unless you are ready to shoot to kill, and have the aim to get that right, and the laws of your state will support you, it's probably not a good choice.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 12:13 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,294,991 times
Good day,

Yesterday I listed some examples of when I aided people out on the streets.

Every time it happened, when I explained to people my experiences, people would ask, "But WHAT IF they had a weapon?!?"

And each time, I replied, " I saw someone in trouble, and knew there was no time to hesitate in case that person would be potentially hurt or killed, and was NOT thinking about MYSELF."

That's just me talking....

Old 04-26-2024, 12:54 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good day,

Every time it happened, when I explained to people my experiences, people would ask, "But WHAT IF they had a weapon?!?"

And each time, I replied, " I saw someone in trouble, and knew there was no time to hesitate in case that person would be potentially hurt or killed, and was NOT thinking about MYSELF."

You don't seem to realize that your comment, based on what you've told us of your martial arts abilities, is like an experienced EMT criticizing a lay bystander for not immediately administering an ink pen tracheotomy on a choking victim.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:00 PM

Ralph_Kirk, I DO get it.

But if I saw someone was choking, I wouldn't just SIT there.

I am not medically trained.... I once saw a person begin a seizure near me.

I called 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY....

I did SOME THING!

Old 04-26-2024, 01:01 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good day,

But the suspect did have a gun. And the guy on the lawn with a ringside seat was close enough to see that.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:06 PM

john3232,

ANYtime a weapon is involved (especially a firearm) there is an increase in a potential injury (or worse than an injury). I get it.

Well, I am glad that the young lady is ok.

And I'm hoping the 2 guys watching the woman being attacked are ok.

.................................................. ......................................

That said, I DID start this thread, and asked for people's honesty.

Good to know how everyone feels about this.

Here's to a great weekend, everyone.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:12 PM

11,766 posts, read 6,136,845 times
I am conflicted.

First, blue cities have made it quiet clear that the helper will get prosecuted if things go south, while the perp gets off scott free.

Secone, many of today's perps would sooner murder you than look at you. This guy allowed the girl to beat him off without killing her, so maybe he is not among those who would as soon kill you as not. Maybe in this case, someone could have helped her without being killed in the process.

Back in the day when perps were way less likely to murder you, people were more likely to help. Today, not so much as these guys will just react with spray-and-pray.

Our society is unravelling in a lot of ways. Today, I really can't blame someone in a big blue city who doesn't rush to the aid of someone being attacked by a perp with a gun. You are very likely to be killed and even likely to get the original victim killed these days.

Then I talk about how much better life was in 1950s, and all I get is criticism.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That was the product of patriarchy. Men were encouraged to be heroes, as a group men around them would back them up right there on the street, and then society would support them afterward. That has been broken.
It is a full court press all around. You are completely on your own as a helper. Other men won't join and then the judicial system where you live will come after you if things go south.

Meanwhile, feminism has also caused a rift between men and women, as regards women being seen as the weaker sex and needing protection. 40 years of women telling men they can do anything as well and don't need men anymore, has also had a massive impact on the concept of chivalry and men's internal feelings of duty to protect women from harm.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:20 PM

Also Lost in this discussion is the fact that Chicaco disarms the public from being able to fight back with a gun against criminals. If the young man sitting on the lawn watching the attack had a gun on him for self-defense, it is more likely he might have intervened, knowing he wasn't bringing bare hands to a gun fight.

So it is a lose all around. Even if you want to come to the aid of a fellow human being attacked by a criminal, Chicago insures you are disarmed and can't have an equal weapon up to the task of defending someone.

All of this is intentional.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:21 PM

13,921 posts, read 8,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am conflicted.

First, blue cities have made it quiet clear that the helper will get prosecuted if things go south, while the perp gets off scott free.

Secone, many of today's perps would sooner murder you than look at you. This guy allowed the girl to beat him off without killing her, so maybe he is not among those who would as soon kill you as not. Maybe in this case, someone could have helped her without being killed in the process.

Back in the day when perps were way less likely to murder you, people were more likely to help. Today, not so much as these guys will just react with spray-and-pray.

Our society is unravelling in a lot of ways. Today, I really can't blame someone in a big blue city who doesn't rush to the aid of someone being attacked by a perp with a gun. You are very likely to be killed and even likely to get the original victim killed these days.

Then I talk about how much better life was in 1950s, and all I get is criticism.

Imo, the young lady was fortunate. Anyone stupid enough to commit armed robbery for a cellphone is stupid enough to pull the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago