Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Try to step up and defend someone and it can be your life that is ruined.
And how did we get to this point in our pathetic society, that our legal system would prevent people from doing the right thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

198 posts, read 236,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I know this is Chicago and not New York but the way Daniel Penny is being treated in NYC has given many men pause when it comes to intervening on people's behalf. Try to step up and defend someone and it can be your life that is ruined.
I wouldn't bet my life on a Cook County states attorney not trying to send me to jail for trying to protect someone. If Cook County cared at all about this type of violent crime, judges wouldn't routinely let them off with little or no sentences and the prosecutors wouldn't continually drop charges, and the public wouldn't clamor for the firing of Chicago cops for shooting back at armed criminals. As we all know, the purpose of a system is what it does. Right now, unfortunately, criminals are an emboldened and protected class, so people will tread lightly around them and allow them to do what they do.

There's many reasons why a bystander froze, but there is absolutely zero personal incentive to intervening and a whole lot of potential downsides as Daniel Penny is illustrating. At the minimum though, people should be able to get to a safe spot and call 911. Freezing up entirely isn't beneficial to anyone.

Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Good day. I'm hoping you are all well.

So I understand it may not be completely fair, regarding some of my comments and assertions.

My situation is different in that I have trained in martial arts (predominately Tae Kwon Do) half of my life, and tested for my 8th Degree Black Belt in December.

And we understand that a bullet can maim or kill ANY body.

I understand that after years of training that I have an understanding of self-defense situations. Additionally, I have taken my oath to help people in need... So believe me I DO understand that not everyone is going to feel the same confidence and/or sense of obligation to assist.

But COME ON, MORALLY, shouldn't SOME one at least TRY to help when they see a young lady being accosted, mere feet from you?!? Even if you were to shout something like, "I am going to call the police!" Or SOME thing to help!!!!!

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
But COME ON, MORALLY, shouldn't SOME one at least TRY to help when they see a young lady being accosted, mere feet from you?!? Even if you were to shout something like, "I am going to call the police!" Or SOME thing to help!!!!!
Morals are not inborn, morals are taught.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Good morning,

I could really appreciate you all helping me calm my nerves, team!

Did I see this correctly? A young woman is attacked by a man, and YES with a gun, and mere feet from them is a guy sitting on the grass who just watches, shifts in his seat, turns away a bit, and continues to watch?!?
I thank God that I live where I do. Someone would have done something to help this woman here. There's no worry about being punished by the courts for stepping in to help someone even if it means using a gun yourself. Criminals are arrested and convicted here. They're not suddenly "victims".

Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM

Ralph_Kirk,

Once again, you are RIGHT, Sir!

Now I am going to look for that guy that just sat and watched and ask him, "Did your parents NOT teach you better, young man?!?"

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

jmgg, good morning to you.

You live in South Dakota? How's your weather?

I am VERY glad to hear your statement that you could depend on your residents to help someone in that situation. And hopefully, in your area it's less likely that a situation like this would even happen??

Have a great day, my friend.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

To date, I have NEVER put my hands on someone who has been aggressive to another on the streets. And I do acknowledge that I am lucky for it, since I have never had any legal nor personal medical issues as a result.

Milwaukee: A man was verbally assaulting a woman in an alley... I made myself nearby and visible, and so when he saw me present, he stopped and they both walked in opposite directions.

Milwaukee: A man was choking a woman on the sidewalk. I ran towards him, yelled, "Let the woman go!" and when he looked at me, I stepped into a fighting position... He then walked away.

Milwaukee: I pulled up to a street festival. Across the street, 4 guys were beating a man on the ground... I yelled, "Hey!" and ran towards them... All 4 ran away.

Chicago: A man was verbally abusing a woman... I walked across the street and up to him and asked him to stop. He then walked away from her and towards me, and stood in front of my face and told me to get out of there. I told him that I work in a jail and these situations lead to someone getting in big trouble... He paused, shook my hand, apologized, and introduced me to his child's mother and young son with him.

Am I LUCKY I did not get caught up in a legal situation, or hurt, shot, killed? AB-SO-LUTE-LY!

But I could NOT just stand there and ignore things!.... Again, maybe that's just how I operate.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

13,750 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Good morning,

I could really appreciate you all helping me calm my nerves, team!

Did I see this correctly? A young woman is attacked by a man, and YES with a gun, and mere feet from them is a guy sitting on the grass who just watches, shifts in his seat, turns away a bit, and continues to watch?!?
Can anyone provide a link to the video?

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

john3232, I don't have an exact link, but do a google search on "University of Chicago student fights off armed robbery" post April 20, 2024.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago