Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 04:25 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Bitey, good afternoon. I am, in fact, currently working IN the courtroom!

I think the citizens that go "Charles Bronson" would actually be seen by Law Enforcement as ASSISTING THEM, and NOT being against them or trying to kill them, as "others" in the community are ruthless enough to do.

Prayers for the fallen Officer!
LEOs aren't the sticking point, the state's attorney's office is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 05:08 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Default 'I will not raise my son here': Veteran Chicago prosecutor quits job over lawlessness

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...a0418dbf&ei=14

It is the releasing of violent repeat offenders that has done this city in.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:30 AM

829 posts, read 450,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...a0418dbf&ei=14

It is the releasing of violent repeat offenders that has done this city in.
This is a big trend I’ve been seeing in big cities across the country. Repeat violent offenders out on the streets. I remember seeing an article from the Chicago Reddit showing a dude in the city who has been arrested 32 times since 2014. Just stupid.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:46 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
I agree, but if we don't have room in the jails for everyone who commits a crime, how do you deal with that?

I mean we can build more prisons, I guess, but that's not a quick solution.

Not sure people fully appreciate that issue - if there are 50 spots in the county jail and 150 people commit crimes that deserve incarceration....how do you determine which 50 to lock up?

This is why progressives voted for Johnson - you either build more jails or you try to go at the cause of the crimes in the first place to stop the bleeding that way. Realizing that hasn't worked very well.....

Old 05-10-2023, 10:42 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
How are other cities doing it? Other cities are getting tough on crime, and crowded jails don’t seem to be stopping them from doing so.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:03 AM

736 posts, read 483,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I agree, but if we don't have room in the jails for everyone who commits a crime, how do you deal with that?

I mean we can build more prisons, I guess, but that's not a quick solution.

Not sure people fully appreciate that issue - if there are 50 spots in the county jail and 150 people commit crimes that deserve incarceration....how do you determine which 50 to lock up?

This is why progressives voted for Johnson - you either build more jails or you try to go at the cause of the crimes in the first place to stop the bleeding that way. Realizing that hasn't worked very well.....
No I'd say actually it is EXACTLTY the solution. Build more jails, expand the courts, vastly reduce plea bargains and dropped charges...put these scumbags where they belong, behind bars.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:04 AM

736 posts, read 483,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ Five suspects in custody. Early reports are it was a random robbery rather than targeted.

Here's the rundown on one of the suspects:
  • July 2021: Arrested for being in possession of a handgun without a FOID card and with an illegal extended magazine -- charges dropped;
  • Assaulted two cops while in custody for the above arrest -- charges dropped;
  • November 2021: Arrested for domestic battery (threw his own mother down a set of stairs) -- charges dropped;
  • June 2022: Arrested for felony unlawful use of a weapon -- sentenced to probation;
  • September 2022: Arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm -- charges dropped.

All this between his 18th and 20th birthday.

This is the criminal justice system we're dealing with. These are the folks the system allows to prowl the streets to murder their robbery victims.
Wow, this is just madness.

Old 05-10-2023, 11:10 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ Five suspects in custody. Early reports are it was a random robbery rather than targeted.

Here's the rundown on one of the suspects:
  • July 2021: Arrested for being in possession of a handgun without a FOID card and with an illegal extended magazine -- charges dropped;
  • Assaulted two cops while in custody for the above arrest -- charges dropped;
  • November 2021: Arrested for domestic battery (threw his own mother down a set of stairs) -- charges dropped;
  • June 2022: Arrested for felony unlawful use of a weapon -- sentenced to probation;
  • September 2022: Arrested for being a felon in possession of a firearm -- charges dropped.

All this between his 18th and 20th birthday.

This is the criminal justice system we're dealing with. These are the folks the system allows to prowl the streets to murder their robbery victims.
This should be malpractice, and whoever “dropped” all those charges should feel terrible and take a hard look at themselves. This is why Chicago is the way it is. Even in places like Philly and Baltimore where I’ve previously lived, they are actually starting to prosecute criminals. This timeline is a prime example of why Chicago is doomed and leads the nation in homicides year-in, year-out.
An unfortunate dark secret is that the criminal justice system does not really have the resources to try all these people and even if they did, no place to incarcerate them. Equity and not justice is the priority, regardless of course of who gets hurt or killed.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:57 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,192 times
I see Jason McIntyre on a famous sports program correctly said how Chiraq is a Warzone and worse than Afghanistan lol. Sad that crime is all we are known for. But we get what we vote for

As I type this I see yet another mass shooting has happened in Americas shooting range

Old 05-13-2023, 08:40 PM

273 posts, read 102,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
No I'd say actually it is EXACTLTY the solution. Build more jails, expand the courts, vastly reduce plea bargains and dropped charges...put these scumbags where they belong, behind bars.
Incarceration only works if the number of criminals is relatively small. At a cost of, say, $35K per year per inmate - the cost of a long prison sentence is exorbitant.

The federal gov't has spent the last 50 years subsidizing the creation of a criminal underclass. So, now we have a REALLY big one!

A few years ago, the Left convinced enough of the electorate that the police were the problem. But now, many recognize that fallacy.

Real solutions require accepting reality and hard decisions that we're (not yet) willing to make. And as our economy declines, things are probably going to get much worse. At some point, we'll be forced to accept the hard decisions, but we're not there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago