Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2023, 09:11 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,192 times

Advertisements

Yep pushing residents out of the city and giving tourists something to remember. Good job Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2YFBjtfRk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 09:18 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Robert9, my brother,

I MUST stick out like a sore thumb, then, in that NONE of these stories ever stop me from coming down on the weekends!

I figure: Be cautious. Be courteous. And the bottom line is when it's my time to "go" then it will be my time.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:26 AM

736 posts, read 483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Bitet, et al., good morning,

So I have not seen the whole video on the subway, but I'm wondering if the man that was choked death was, in fact, a threat to anyone's safety?

I've told you already, I had a man punch me in the arm at the Howard Street platform. And I'm sure I could have taken the stance to fight back and indicate to any LEO that I defended myself with the notion that I was in a situation where I may have needed to stop a follow up of other punches from the man.... But I was very patient with the guy, and we worked through it. Gave each other a hug at the end!

As a martial arts practitioner/instructor, I had an idea of when the problem deescalated (keep in mind that after the man punched me, he jumped right up in my face and started arguing). I guess I COULD HAVE put him in a choke hold, or something.

With the guy in New York, I'm guessing he would have felt less of a struggle from the individual he had a chokehold in. AND those others standing around him could have each grabbed a limb incapacitated his leverage, so the Marine could have loosened his grip.

I 100% stand for people intervening. But unless I get more information, I think this WAS a wrong call. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry for the loss of life of one individual. I'm sorry for some possible damage to another young man's future, as well.
I concur, not enough info on the circumstances in regards to the choke. I understand he was pronounced at the hospital, so not clear if he died on scene, en route via ambulance, or in the ER.

Most people don't understand the mechanism of action regarding a rear naked choke, they think it's cutting off the airway. In practice though, it's actually cutting off the blood supply to the brain which renders the victim unconscious. Held for too long, and you get brain damage (with all its complications) and/or death.

So if evidence points to Neely still being held in the choke after going limp, yeh that ain't clean, manslaughter.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:35 AM

G in MP,

And here's a self-defense tip from Master Jay to you all:

If you are ever grabbed in a choke hold, always do your best to turn your chin TOWARDS the side where the hands are (NEVER turn your head towards the grabbing shoulder!)... You "focus" on the weakest part of the grip (where mechanically, the hands "could" open up.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:29 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hochita View Post
There's that video going around of folks in South Shore upset with the migrant influx also. Could be interesting...
Their objections are only slightly related to possible crime issues; instead their primary objections is one of resource allocation. In particular, they feel rather put out by having so much resources expended on people who by all rights shouldn't be here while their own community is struggling.

The blue-collar black demographic has typically been skeptical of third-world mass migration. So not only is their objection not surprising, but it's a particular slap in the face to dump these migrants in THEIR neighborhood instead of in, say, some North-side neighborhood inhabited by Lululemon leftists who openly proclaim to welcome these migrants.

On the one hand, it's hard not to sympathize. On the other... well, who did these South Shore constituents vote for, and what position do those politicians support on the "Sanctuary" issue?

Old 05-15-2023, 10:43 PM

9,975 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Bitet, et al., good morning,

So I have not seen the whole video on the subway, but I'm wondering if the man that was choked death was, in fact, a threat to anyone's safety?
Given your line of work, you're probably familiar enough with criminal law to know there is a legal standard for self-defense (which includes defense of others) called the "reasonable person" standard. In short, the law asks, "would a reasonable person in this person's position believe there is an imminent threat to the safety of himself and/or others? And if so, was his response reasonably proportional to the threat?"

Seemingly everyone who was in that train car and has offered their opinion on the matter thinks Penny did the right thing. If true, that bodes quite well for whether his actions meet the "reasonable person" standard.

It's also worth noting the fellow was not choked to death as is widely reported. He succumbed to to a carotid hold, after which he was still alive and breathing when Penny and the others who restrained him put him in the recovery position.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:44 AM

The trend continues of people wanting to leave Chiraq!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E5p...l=FOX32Chicago

Old 05-16-2023, 05:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Their objections are only slightly related to possible crime issues; instead their primary objections is one of resource allocation. In particular, they feel rather put out by having so much resources expended on people who by all rights shouldn't be here while their own community is struggling.

The blue-collar black demographic has typically been skeptical of third-world mass migration. So not only is their objection not surprising, but it's a particular slap in the face to dump these migrants in THEIR neighborhood instead of in, say, some North-side neighborhood inhabited by Lululemon leftists who openly proclaim to welcome these migrants.

On the one hand, it's hard not to sympathize. On the other... well, who did these South Shore constituents vote for, and what position do those politicians support on the "Sanctuary" issue?
Yup, this is the ironic thing. As much as I sympathize with them and understand their argument, you have to wonder why they aren't so passionate about letting their voices be heard on these issues when it comes time to voting.......Like you, I'm guessing the majority of them continue to vote for people year after year who may not really align with their wants/needs.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:04 AM

Robert9, good morning,

Thank you for sharing that video. It is very scary and concerning. You see how quickly they did that.

Please enjoy the rest of your day, everyone!

Old 05-16-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Robert9, good morning,

Thank you for sharing that video. It is very scary and concerning. You see how quickly they did that.

Please enjoy the rest of your day, everyone!
Good Morning. Yes, very fast!

Enjoy your day as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago