Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2023, 02:23 PM

3,456 posts, read 3,384,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If anything it was the Luxury Leftists in the leafy north side neighborhoods who put Johnson over the edge. That's definitely where most of his votes came from to push him into the runoff against Valas.

And idiotic pursuit policies have hamstrung their ability to do their one job.
I watched all the mayoral debates before the primary and during the runoff(even to the point when I couldn't watch them live, I looked up the debates later on like Youtube and other sites and found them and watched through them), and to me there was no doubt Johnson performed the worst of all the candidates in these debates. Why so many were fooled into voting for Johnson, I don't know. I do concede Vallas performed poorly(when it came to number of votes) in black areas, and was probably one of the reasons BJ narrowly won the runoff. Even Jamal Green and other candidates appeared in those debates to be more competent, then BJ has.

I do worry Cook voters will elect Clayton Harris(who was already nominated by the Cook County Dem Party, and has stances as bad as Foxx does) to be the next state's attorney. But I hope I'm proven wrong, and voters will vote against Harris next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 02:50 PM

886 posts, read 626,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I watched all the mayoral debates before the primary and during the runoff(even to the point when I couldn't watch them live, I looked up the debates later on like Youtube and other sites and found them and watched through them), and to me there was no doubt Johnson performed the worst of all the candidates in these debates. Why so many were fooled into voting for Johnson, I don't know. I do concede Vallas performed poorly(when it came to number of votes) in black areas, and was probably one of the reasons BJ narrowly won the runoff. Even Jamal Green and other candidates appeared in those debates to be more competent, then BJ has.

I do worry Cook voters will elect Clayton Harris(who was already nominated by the Cook County Dem Party, and has stances as bad as Foxx does) to be the next state's attorney. But I hope I'm proven wrong, and voters will vote against Harris next year.
Brandon Johnson won Chicago's mayoral race through a coalition of voters: young adults, African Americans, a sizeable number of Hispanics, and white progressives.

He was also endorsed by a strong political force: The Chicago Teachers Union.

Paul Vallas was opposed by the members of this union. Vallas was the first CEO of Chicago Public Schools, having been appointed to that post by Richard J. Daley in 1995. The CTU was against Vallas because of his actions as the CEO of CPS, in that he championed charter schools, expanded standardized testing, diverted funds from teachers' pension funds, and meted out harsh punishments for underperforming schools.

Old 09-11-2023, 04:03 PM

219 posts, read 135,966 times
Quote:
And right on cue: Chicago police warn about armed robbers they were ordered to stop chasing; some victims waited hours for CPD to show up
"One of those units spotted the robbers’ newer white Nissan bearing a stolen license plate heading toward the Ontario feeder ramp in River North around 5:50 a.m. Officers said they engaged the vehicle in a pursuit, but a CPD sergeant ordered them to terminate that effort.

"Note the comments after the termination is given as an officer jokes that someone should call the 'real police' at the Illinois State Police, an agency that is known to vigorously chase violent offenders that the Chicago Police Department won’t.
"
CPD can still do pursuits just not for minor offenses like minor traffic offenses. Pretty sure armed robberies are not considered minor misdemeanors. I wouldn't trust anything from CWB, they make Fox news look sane.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/22/11066...people-on-foot

Old 09-12-2023, 06:50 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,858,499 times
While CWB is slanted, they do actually report things that are happening. If robberies are occurring, CWB will have it.

I don't trust their commentary or editorialization, but I do read it to get a list of when/where.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:52 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,186,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Luxury Leftist in Leafy Lakeview (just for the alliteration)....is very accurate.

I had a kid, probably 23, come to my door BEGGING me to vote for Brandon as if his life depended on it. Like Vallas would have been a huge horrible problem or something. That progressive effort was really in force.

At that time, I lived in Lincoln Square. Leafy Leland Avenue.
While Brandon Johnson won some precincts in Lakeview and North Center, all of Lincoln Square/Edgewater/Andersonville, it doesn't seem like that difference makes up the 26k vote win that he had. Brandon Johnson won one precinct in Lincoln Park on its western edge and Vallas won the rest.

https://interactive.wbez.org/chicago...nct-map/#mayor

Old 09-12-2023, 11:20 AM

9,989 posts, read 5,691,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
CPD can still do pursuits just not for minor offenses like minor traffic offenses. Pretty sure armed robberies are not considered minor misdemeanors. I wouldn't trust anything from CWB, they make Fox news look sane.
The suspects they were instructed to stop pursuing were armed robbery suspects. What's more, the CWB article I cite provides a CPD audio transcript of the stop-pursuit order. But I guess the actual primary source isn't good enough for you if it's hosted on a secondary source you don't like.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:50 PM

219 posts, read 135,966 times
Quote:
The suspects they were instructed to stop pursuing were armed robbery suspects. What's more, the CWB article I cite provides a CPD audio transcript of the stop-pursuit order. But I guess the actual primary source isn't good enough for you if it's hosted on a secondary source you don't like.
Who instructed them to stop? Sounds like it was CPD themselves since there is no law stopping them from pursuit of felonies in progress.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Who instructed them to stop? Sounds like it was CPD themselves since there is no law stopping them from pursuit of felonies in progress.
It's called a policy directive, and it's 12 pages worth of frequently vague mumbo-jumbo presented as though they were clear directives. Who do you think wrote and enforces this policy -- the beat cops who do the chasing?

And when a suspect takes off, a cop has about two seconds to evaluate the situational fact pattern against 12 pages of conditional gobbledygook theoretically stored in his head before deciding whether to give chase. If he does, he then has to keep evaluating the changing dynamics of a spontaneously unfolding chase against that same 12 pages worth of vague directives to decide whether to continue or break off said pursuit. All of which will then be Monday-Morning-Quarterbacked by a supervisor -- or worse, by COPA -- after the fact.

Care to guess how often that officer's desire to keep his job and his pension will influence the outcome of those calculations?

Last edited by Bitey; 09-12-2023 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-14-2023, 12:24 PM

Old 09-14-2023, 12:55 PM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
My God, do I wish that I could rep. you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago