Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:14 PM

226 posts, read 589,144 times

Advertisements

In today's Block Club Chicago, there was an article on this topic laying out the dire situation of CTA--open pot and cigarette smoking, open urination and defecation, routine threats to customers and to the CTA personnel who are completely fed up... They're trying a private security service which is proving ineffectual (by the security guards' own admission) because they have no means of enforcement. The article describes the situation as a "moving homeless shelter" (and, of course, homeless aren't necessarily dangerous but they feed into the sense of decay and lack of security). Then a couple sentences that jump out at me:

Audrey Wennink, director of transportation for the Metropolitan Planning Council, a Chicago-based transit policy and advocacy organization, said the group has discussed safety issues with CTA and other transit groups. Wennick said many are wary of armed police due to concerns about aggressive policing and racial bias. “We’re now seeing the level of increase of unarmed security guards, and whether that’s enough to give people a sense of presence,” Wennink said. “We need to manage that with not over-policing, or causing fear that there will be any violence against riders.”

So this Wennick woman is afraid that any policing of the CTA will "cause fear of violence against riders"??? THERE IS CURRENTLY CONSTANT FEAR OF VIOLENCE AGAINST RIDERS! All riders--white, black, brown, Asian etc.--are alert to a very real fear of violence. Does she not give a sh**? This level of stupidity has got to be challenged by the mayor and others if Chicago is not going to drown in the stigma of lawlessness currently associated with it. Ms. Wennick--no one wants police assaulting riders out of racial bias. OBVIOUSLY. But at what point do your moronic politics leave all decent Chicagoans helpless in the face of thugs? Yeah, over-policing is (by definition) excessive, but is the very idea of policing so racialized that the CTA is going to increasing become a cesspool of casual rudeness (on one end of the spectrum) and overt criminality (on the other)? Jesus, get a grip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 01:35 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,585,756 times
Agreed. She is quite despicable and intentionally ignorant. Reminds me of all the "federal law requires you to wear masks" messaging while hoodrats are eyeballing people menacingly, harassing passengers, and otherwise looking for victims car after car.

The city just doesn't care.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:07 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,186,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, you are welcome.

Stay safe, healthy, and happy!

Spring is approaching!!!!
Thank you. Actually I am a Fall/Winter person and hibernate when the hot weather comes. You stay healthy and safe and enjoy it though

Old 03-03-2022, 06:07 PM

Now I would not feel safe on the cta for other reasons. I see the new CTA Brown line flyover that just recently opened is already falling apart!

Old 03-03-2022, 06:16 PM

4,660 posts, read 3,280,291 times
Robert9, on Sunday. the Brown Line was closed between Belmont abd Southport.

Have you heard something ELSE about it?

Old 03-03-2022, 06:35 PM

I just saw on the news that concrete has been falling off of the newly built flyover track! A man noticed it on several parts falling down including where cars drive under it and then the reporter on the news found even more spots where it was falling from. Damn they just opened it in November and its falling apart already!

Old 03-07-2022, 02:40 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,410,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Agreed. She is quite despicable and intentionally ignorant. Reminds me of all the "federal law requires you to wear masks" messaging while hoodrats are eyeballing people menacingly, harassing passengers, and otherwise looking for victims car after car.

The city just doesn't care.
Yup. That's why I sometimes don't even bother wearing a mask anymore on the train.. We're still technically required to, but who cares? There are people smoking, rapping loudly and just being obnoxious.... I think that's much worse than someone not wearing a mask.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:22 PM

3,474 posts, read 3,394,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
That was a thorough study, but they focused way too much on COVID. No one is worried about catching COVID there compared to the attention of a lunatic or hoodrat. Security and removing homeless is all that matters.

Also, oh yay, a shooting at the Grand Red line an hour ago. Must be those pesky Asians at it again.
Yep, I didn't get all the questions about COVID on that survey. Since at this point, I think most people don't care about COVID anymore! It's honestly burned through everyone at this point, where almost all people briefly tested positive for COVID and recovered from it, or got vaccinated on their own(did the latter myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yup. That's why I sometimes don't even bother wearing a mask anymore on the train.. We're still technically required to, but who cares? There are people smoking, rapping loudly and just being obnoxious.... I think that's much worse than someone not wearing a mask.
I'd say about half the times I've ridden the train or bus late at night myself(but more the bus, myself), I will notice at least one or 2 riders not bothering to wear a mask. Sometimes infrequently, I've even seen random CTA bus drivers or train operators or other random CTA employees not wearing a mask, either. During daytime nearly everyone seems to wear a mask on the bus or train, but I'd say compliance on the mask rule slips a lot later at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
In today's Block Club Chicago, there was an article on this topic laying out the dire situation of CTA--open pot and cigarette smoking, open urination and defecation, routine threats to customers and to the CTA personnel who are completely fed up... They're trying a private security service which is proving ineffectual (by the security guards' own admission) because they have no means of enforcement. The article describes the situation as a "moving homeless shelter" (and, of course, homeless aren't necessarily dangerous but they feed into the sense of decay and lack of security). Then a couple sentences that jump out at me:

Audrey Wennink, director of transportation for the Metropolitan Planning Council, a Chicago-based transit policy and advocacy organization, said the group has discussed safety issues with CTA and other transit groups. Wennick said many are wary of armed police due to concerns about aggressive policing and racial bias. “We’re now seeing the level of increase of unarmed security guards, and whether that’s enough to give people a sense of presence,” Wennink said. “We need to manage that with not over-policing, or causing fear that there will be any violence against riders.”

So this Wennick woman is afraid that any policing of the CTA will "cause fear of violence against riders"??? THERE IS CURRENTLY CONSTANT FEAR OF VIOLENCE AGAINST RIDERS! All riders--white, black, brown, Asian etc.--are alert to a very real fear of violence. Does she not give a sh**? This level of stupidity has got to be challenged by the mayor and others if Chicago is not going to drown in the stigma of lawlessness currently associated with it. Ms. Wennick--no one wants police assaulting riders out of racial bias. OBVIOUSLY. But at what point do your moronic politics leave all decent Chicagoans helpless in the face of thugs? Yeah, over-policing is (by definition) excessive, but is the very idea of policing so racialized that the CTA is going to increasing become a cesspool of casual rudeness (on one end of the spectrum) and overt criminality (on the other)? Jesus, get a grip.
I remember reading that news, that FINALLY after so many months, that the CTA was trying out having private security guards on at least the Red and Blue Lines during later at night hours. Although to me this is a move, that is too little and too late. And from what I suspect, I don't think this is going to move the needle much in making the L system safer. Kicking people off trains who do break the rules, will be the ONLY thing that will get riders(who got tired of all those problem behaviors, myself included) to come back onto the L again. From one source I heard online, Monterrey Security is the firm that is supplying the private security guards onboard L stations and trains later at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago