Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 04:39 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

In Chicago, we have one of the largest Ukrainian communities in the country, so we are more likely to know Ukrainian Americans. Just curious how many of you have Ukrainian American friends and colleagues, and how they are dealing with what is going on with the imminent invasion?

I have a close colleague who is Ukrainian American, who still has a lot of family in Ukraine. She and her family are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 04:59 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times
This a great topic glad you have put this up. I don’t live in Illinois but I look here for local happenings and news as I did reside in the state once and enjoyed my time there.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:30 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
I know a few Ukrainians and they are obviously upset and concerned with th Russian aggression.

Old 02-24-2022, 02:55 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
I read up on the attack this morning.

One thing that stuck out to me is that Putin claims there are a lot of Ukrainian citizens who still identify as and align with Russian cultures and ideals. Is that true? I get that Ukraine was created after the fall of the USSR so it makes sense that someone could feel more Russian than Ukrainian but I'd love to hear from some native Ukrainians of how common this is and if you feel the invasion is actually "somewhat" justified? Like will there be Russian loyalists fighting within the borders of Ukrainian cities because they were isolated after the fall of the USSR?

Old 02-24-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

One thing that stuck out to me is that Putin claims there are a lot of Ukrainian citizens who still identify as and align with Russian cultures and ideals. Is that true? I get that Ukraine was created after the fall of the USSR so it makes sense that someone could feel more Russian than Ukrainian but I'd love to hear from some native Ukrainians of how common this is and if you feel the invasion is actually "somewhat" justified? Like will there be Russian loyalists fighting within the borders of Ukrainian cities because they were isolated after the fall of the USSR?
Good question. Ukraine is very big, so there may be some border regions where they do keep some Russian identity. But all of the Ukrainians I know and have met here in the Chicagoland region, all very much identify as purely Ukrainian.

It would be nice to hear from any Ukrainians on this board. But in my experience, Ukranians hold on to their independent culture and beliefs, and I get a sense that even before this, there have been a lot of tensions with Russia, particularly under Putin's leadership.

Kind of similar to the relationship between Taiwan and China, in a sense.

Old 02-25-2022, 07:57 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Good question. Ukraine is very big, so there may be some border regions where they do keep some Russian identity. But all of the Ukrainians I know and have met here in the Chicagoland region, all very much identify as purely Ukrainian.

It would be nice to hear from any Ukrainians on this board. But in my experience, Ukranians hold on to their independent culture and beliefs, and I get a sense that even before this, there have been a lot of tensions with Russia, particularly under Putin's leadership.

Kind of similar to the relationship between Taiwan and China, in a sense.
I asked this question and sure enough last night I heard a Ukrainian on WBEZ. She said she had Russian friends in Ukraine who were embarrassed and very upset about the invasion. They were very apologetic and sorry for what Putin is doing.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:49 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Quote:

I popped into the Chicago forum as I was thinking about the Ukrainian population in Chicago.

One of the major news networks, maybe ABC, did a short piece of Ukrainian citizens that are ethnically Russian. It's about 17% of the population. My take away was that many identify as Ukrainians, even to the extent of learning the language, etc. They have little desire to be part of Russia. Ukraine is free.

There are, of course, the separatists in a few regions. There are lots of articles about these groups available right now. Google "Donbas" and Ukraine separatists. They appear to be influenced and supported by Russia.

Old 02-25-2022, 12:23 PM

249 posts, read 182,237 times
Quote:
I asked this question and sure enough last night I heard a Ukrainian on WBEZ. She said she had Russian friends in Ukraine who were embarrassed and very upset about the invasion. They were very apologetic and sorry for what Putin is doing.
I heard the story on WBEZ also. They were also talking about Russians living in the USA and said the older Russians tend to be pro Putin whereas the younger ones are not.

Old 02-27-2022, 05:10 PM

Default Rallies and Protests in support of Ukraine this weekend

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...chicago/%3Famp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2770421/%3famp

Old 02-27-2022, 06:50 PM

403 posts, read 929,966 times
It's utterly heartbreaking what is going on there, and I have thought quite a bit about the sizeable Ukrainian population in the area. People we know with connections are obviously devastated. Our wedding photographer has family there, and has lost communication with them. They are likely headed to the west to escape.

Here are two videos I found helpful in understanding context and all that's happening on the ground in Ukraine right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK-yJD_fAtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXdHB4ZprM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: