Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 03:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times

Advertisements

If I was a diner eating at one of these restaurants, I wouldn't want to be eating on the street. What if a driver has a heart attack and then crashes directly into the tent I'm eating in? It's not safe nor does it look good. As a pedestrian it is definitely annoying needing to maneuver my way around diners and waiters constantly walking/standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

As you said only a handful of places have been able to pull it off where it looks appealing, but the rest are just dumb at I agree it's a dumb trend that should stop. In the sense of regulations, Covid is over.

Also Chicago is not a climate that is friendly to these year round street dining setups. It works in California, Arizona, and Florida. It doesn't work here outside of May through October.

The only COVID era thing that I'd like to stick around is contactless deliveries. Outside of that everything else, including this, should be thrown in the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
If I was a diner eating at one of these restaurants, I wouldn't want to be eating on the street. What if a driver has a heart attack and then crashes directly into the tent I'm eating in? It's not safe nor does it look good. As a pedestrian it is definitely annoying needing to maneuver my way around diners and waiters constantly walking/standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

As you said only a handful of places have been able to pull it off where it looks appealing, but the rest are just dumb at I agree it's a dumb trend that should stop. In the sense of regulations, Covid is over.

Also Chicago is not a climate that is friendly to these year round street dining setups. It works in California, Arizona, and Florida. It doesn't work here outside of May through October.

The only COVID era thing that I'd like to stick around is contactless deliveries. Outside of that everything else, including this, should be thrown in the trash.
What if you are eating inside and a driver has a heart attack and this happens? I doubt the risk is much greater outside. Nice try though. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the risk of contracting COVID while dining, is a lot greater then the risk of getting hit by a car while dining. And yes COVID is not over. People are still getting sick and dying from it in substantial numbers every day.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
What if you are eating inside and a driver has a heart attack and this happens? I doubt the risk is much greater outside. Nice try though. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the risk of contracting COVID while dining, is a lot greater then the risk of getting hit by a car while dining. And yes COVID is not over. People are still getting sick and dying from it in substantial numbers every day.
These tents are literally right on the street in a foot or two away from traffic. If eating inside you are much further from the street. The odds of being hit in a tent that is literally on the road is much greater than if you are inside an establishment.

COVID is no longer a pandemic and the CDC, the president, and countries worldwide have all declared it officially to be over, so I think its safe to say we can move on from this.

I like outside dining on the sidewalk, but right in the street? Nah.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:33 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Well so far, in the west Loop some idiot robbers approached a group of people in outside dining, this was about a week ago. I would not want to be outside where you are vulnerable.

Also, cars can easily flip the curb and run right into you, either an accident or someone fleeing the police.

I never liked it basically due to the weather - better inside with air conditioning in summer.

Also you dont get pollution and noise from being outside.

So Im with you, I do not like outside dining.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
fusillirob1983, good morning,

I understand that a street like Clark, would NOT be ideal for outdoor dining, with so much car AND foot traffic on the sidewalk. I'm sure it gets to make driving inconvenient every now and again when they close sections down for a weekend summer fair.

But, are there any west-east side streets (not necessarily main streets) where they could close off some streets to have, at least, weekend dining IN the streets? Or do you think most of those areas are too congested with residences?

For me, those first days of late Spring/early Summer when I see those streets closed with tables set up are highlights of my day!

And THAT said, I am sad that we have just BEGUN Fall. So I shall look forward to those street tables in 9 months (like a newborn baby!)

I DID manage to eat outside on Gene's RoofTop in Lincoln Square on Sunday afternoon (you guys were about 10 degrees warmer than my hometown of Milwaukee, so I am glad I came down!). And I started to sit outside of Gerry's, and then BOOM, those clouds ganged up on the sun and the temps dropped! So unfortunately I asked to go inside of Gerrys to finish my drink. So, no more people watching but the music was on point! "Tell me what I say" by Ray Charles was on.
Yeah- I remember going in April and they had the tables set out for that first hot day of the year on Clark Street. I was actually a bit surprised they were out already. I think we elected to do the indoor seating, but it was still nice. My sister and family came to visit over the summer and it was really nice on the weekend, so we did one outdoor dining. Then the weekdays they were here were 90+, so we just made food at home those nights or got carry out.

To the person who said eating outside in FL is a good idea, it is absolutely miserable unless it is like a covered situation. I can’t see someone sitting out in full sun unless they want to get a sunburn from like May- Oct, or want to experience a downpour. Many places do have very nice covered lanai areas though.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:46 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
You are not the only one who thinks they look like crap and find them wholly unappealing to dine in/at. Yum! Motor oil stains at my feet! Where do I put my purse--at my feet where there are layers of bubble gum and spittle and urine? Or on the back of my chair where it's sure to get knicked? They can only be used for a few short months of the year, and the rest of the time it's just barren.

Pedestrian malls are a well-established idea (think downtown Charlottesville VA, Kalamazoo, MI, etc) but they have to be executed well--not just blocking off a street. Successful pedestrian streets have contientious character--consistent pattern language in surface materials, lighting, seating.

One problem with the ad-hoc street dining is that not much thought seems to have been made to emergency access and deliveries. How do residents along these streets get mail and packages? Is it easy for fire trucks to reach an emergency? Both of these are required by law, but the temporary nature and the state of emergency allowed a lot of rules to be overlooked (just like the rules that all shops and restaurants must have a restroom for patrons, and all businesses must have a working drinking fountain....but most blocked these off during the pandemic).

Another problem is transportation--the broadway dining street caused the 36 broadway bus to be diverted. It was hastily thought out and slowed down an already slow bus route. It caused access issues for people with disabilities. It's hard to know whether these disrupted circulation routes affected business, since business was already slow. But long term, diverting transit access from an area will cause people to avoid the area--and the whole point of these dining streets is to add to a community, not take away from it (isn't it?).

Another problem is that too many of them takes away from the unique experience. Most places only have *one* pedestrian mall. Not multiple street closures all over town. Having multiple dining streets all over town will take away rom the uniqueness of it.

I haven't heard much of the details of Lightfoot's plan, but I do hope her advisors actually take the time to read about the Slow Streets principles. Ald. Martin obviously didn't read it when he suddenly decided to block off a residential street without even consulting the residents of that street, for no other reason than simply some of his donors stated that they 'liked to walk down the street and look at the people'--and he encouraged people including children to walk into the path of moving cars. He broke every single guideline of the Slow Streets movement (their guide is available for free to download).

Old 09-28-2022, 09:39 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,254,543 times
RamenAddict, good evening.

It sounds like you and your family were happy to partake in all kinds of dining (outside, inside, delivery). I'm glad it was just about the type of dining, but rather, many memorable experiences with family members! Don't take that ability for granted.

And as for the plethora of Negative Nancys (or, should it technically be Nancies?) on here, I tell YOU what: if you ever see me outside sidewalk or street dining, you go ahead and take your happy selves INSIDE and I will still buy you a glass of wine, if you can get an inside window seat, so we can toast each other!!

SALUD!!

Have a great night, everyone!

Old 10-03-2022, 09:06 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Good morning all,

I heard here in Milwaukee that they were proposing to make our Brady Street (a pretty good equivalent to your Little Italy Taylor Street) vehicle-free. And I mean I BRIEFLY heard that!

But I think it would be a good idea for certain sections of Milwaukee, Chicago, etc. to have this!
Brady Street in Milwaukee does have a lot of restaurants and bars on it, so I could see a car free proposal being suggested for that street. I don't think totally closing it to cars exactly should be done, but traffic calming measures like narrowing the width of sidewalks(bump outs, at intersections) wouldn't be a bad idea to consider.

Old 10-04-2022, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 274 times
Count me as yet another fan of the street dining in general. Also, Covid is far from gone, and many people still prefer dining options that are less likely to make them sick.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
If y’all would stop electing democrats who want to control your lives, you would have been happily dining in for a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago