Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 145,461 times

Advertisements

This was once of the worst neighborhoods north of the loop about 25-30 years ago. Significant improvement-development since has weeded out a great deal of trouble, but it is still considered a moderately high crime area. The vintage buildings are beautiful in this once neighborhood for the wealthy but the dark streets are another story. I grew up just west of here in Ravenswood and still visit regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 05:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspect2 View Post
This was once of the worst neighborhoods north of the loop about 25-30 years ago. Significant improvement-development since has weeded out a great deal of trouble, but it is still considered a moderately high crime area. The vintage buildings are beautiful in this once neighborhood for the wealthy but the dark streets are another story. I grew up just west of here in Ravenswood and still visit regularly.
You could say that about Uptown as a whole, but Margate Park (the neighborhood, not the park) has long been one of the nicest parts of Uptown. At least most of it is, with the exception of some crap on Sheridan Road.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:51 PM

To anyone who is confused by the new-fangled real estate agent-promoted "sub-neighborhoods" of Uptown, here is a map:

Old 05-31-2008, 08:33 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Thanks! That's a helpful map!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 21,131 times
I was thinking about moving into the same area (condos along Marine Dr.) and was wondering does some of the Sketchy portions of Sheridan move east at night?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM

Anyone?

Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Yes, they do. I ended up not buying in this area and am pretty happy with my decision. As some other pointed out, this are is a good pocket, but you can't ever plan on "pockets" containing themselves.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:32 PM

No, Sheridan stays right where it is at night. Otherwise traffic would be a nightmare!

Joking aside, what are you really asking? There is no wall around the Margate Park area, so anyone can roam freely to and from the other parts of Uptown. I know people who have lived there for years without trouble. But there was a double-shooting at Sheridan and Lawrence this past Friday in mid-afternoon broad daylight, and one of the victims died.

I looked at Buena Park and Margate Park when I bought my place in 2005, and decided that Margate Park was just too small to be a critical mass of "nice". It is adjacent to Edgewater, but there's not that much difference between Edgewater and Uptown in that particular location. We chose Buena Park because we could stay close to Lakeview and be a little more isolated from the ills of central Uptown. I've spent many night time hours on Sheridan between Lawerence and Foster since moving here, and I'm now very glad we didn't buy in Margate, even though the place was quite a bit cheaper.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
No, Sheridan stays right where it is at night. Otherwise traffic would be a nightmare!

Joking aside, what are you really asking? There is no wall around the Margate Park area, so anyone can roam freely to and from the other parts of Uptown. I know people who have lived there for years without trouble. But there was a double-shooting at Sheridan and Lawrence this past Friday in mid-afternoon broad daylight, and one of the victims died.

I looked at Buena Park and Margate Park when I bought my place in 2005, and decided that Margate Park was just too small to be a critical mass of "nice". It is adjacent to Edgewater, but there's not that much difference between Edgewater and Uptown in that particular location. We chose Buena Park because we could stay close to Lakeview and be a little more isolated from the ills of central Uptown. I've spent many night time hours on Sheridan between Lawerence and Foster since moving here, and I'm now very glad we didn't buy in Margate, even though the place was quite a bit cheaper.
Actually that's exactly why/what I was asking. There seems to be quite a few places in Margate park that seem a lot cheaper than Buena Park and I couldn't figure out why. When I drove around both neighborhoods they seemed similar but, like you said, Buena Park boarders Lakeview (which would be my first choice if Lakeview wasn't soooo much more expensive).

I have a friend that lives just north of Pilsen and he was saying that a lot of creeper/gangs sometimes move north to his neighborhood at night and was wonrdering if the same thing happened in Uptown. Like you said though, there's no wall around it When I drove down Sheridan a lot of it looked pretty suspect and I questioned walking from the Arglye stop to the lake at night.

Looks like I'll need to do more searching in the Buena Park area. Thanks for all of the info

I read way too much at once while lurking on this forum and ended up confused

Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM

I would consider hanging out in Margate Park at night to see what you think. Like I said, I know a few people who have lived there for years and they love it. I think they take the express buses instead of the "L", however. In my experience, this is a safer transportation option (and is often times more convenient).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago