Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2023, 12:19 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing quite a number of studio/alcove studio high-rise condos with good prices (under 150K) and reasonable monthly fees. Is this the norm or are there some underlying issues regarding the neighborhood, which seems fairly safe and desirable otherwise??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 12:27 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,564,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm seeing quite a number of studio/alcove studio high-rise condos with good prices (under 150K) and reasonable monthly fees. Is this the norm or are there some underlying issues regarding the neighborhood, which seems fairly safe and desirable otherwise??
What do you consider reasonable? The high rises on Sheridan in Edgewater tend to have high assessments and a lot of restrictions that make them frowned upon by many condo investors. The buildings are also fairly old and do not allow things like pets or in-unit laundry—freedoms and features most contemporary buyers expect to have. There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood. It's an attractive north-side community area with fairly broad appeal to residents of varied backgrounds and incomes.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
What do you consider reasonable? The high rises on Sheridan in Edgewater tend to have high assessments and a lot of restrictions that make them frowned upon by many condo investors. The buildings are also fairly old and do not allow things like pets or in-unit laundry—freedoms and features most contemporary buyers expect to have. There is nothing wrong with the neighborhood. It's an attractive north-side community area with fairly broad appeal to residents of varied backgrounds and incomes.

Here's a few as well as further south in Uptown. As already mentioned in my original post under 150K is considered reasonable and fees are under $700 a month typically which almost always includes all utilities. Assessments are not the same as a condo fee and is for funding major improvements such as all new windows, a roof or replacing the HVAC system and paid separately over time. It's always prudent to check condo docs for information on reserve funds and any ongoing/pending assessments prior to purchase. Very few condos do not allow pets at all anymore and could care less about in-unit laundry. I enjoy the ability to do all of my laundry in one fell swoop versus multiple trips to and from the one in unit. The neighborhood was my big question and you seemed to clarify the "nothing wrong" instinct.

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...60--2104723683

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...60--2104723219

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...60--2104719246

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...60--2104716316

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...40--2104444513

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...13--2103958149

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/...13--2103961932

Old 01-24-2023, 07:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
Edgewater is a great value. I know a few couples and single people who have moved there. Those are kind of average condos, but the prices are great, and the views are really nice. I’ve always like the location of Edgewater. With the affordability, you can also renovate the inside to modernize it.

As someone else may have posted, you just need to be careful of the assessment fees. Many Chicago condos look great price wise, but once you tag on assessment fees, they’re not quite the steal the appear to be.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Assessments are not the same as a condo fee and is for funding major improvements such as all new windows, a roof or replacing the HVAC system and paid separately over time.
This is not true. Master association dues are included under Assessments in MRED listings. Subdivisions, condominiums, townhomes, and co-ops typically charge these fees. On the MLS, these will be broken down under the Assessments headline. The assessment can cover a variety of different things. At 880 North Lake Shore Drive, the monthly assessment includes: "Heat, Air Conditioning, Water, Electric, Tax, Common Insurance, Security, Doorman, TV/Cable, Exercise Facilities, Exterior Maintenance, Lawn Care, Scavenger, Snow Removal, Wi-Fi, Internet Access"

You are under a mistaken impression as well regarding 6301 North Sheridan Road, because electricity is individually metered in that building, just as an example: "Assessment includes, central heating and cooling, water, scavenger, cable and internet. All except Electric is included."

All of this is listed in the public remarks, so I maybe stop looking at Trulia?

Old 01-26-2023, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,579 times
Edgewater and Rogers Park are both bargains, IMO. However, parking is impossible so if you use a car daily, add $200 a month for off-street parking.

On the plus side, Edgewater is right on the red line, so it's plausible to manage without a car.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
This is not true. Master association dues are included under Assessments in MRED listings. Subdivisions, condominiums, townhomes, and co-ops typically charge these fees. On the MLS, these will be broken down under the Assessments headline. The assessment can cover a variety of different things. At 880 North Lake Shore Drive, the monthly assessment includes: "Heat, Air Conditioning, Water, Electric, Tax, Common Insurance, Security, Doorman, TV/Cable, Exercise Facilities, Exterior Maintenance, Lawn Care, Scavenger, Snow Removal, Wi-Fi, Internet Access"

You are under a mistaken impression as well regarding 6301 North Sheridan Road, because electricity is individually metered in that building, just as an example: "Assessment includes, central heating and cooling, water, scavenger, cable and internet. All except Electric is included."

All of this is listed in the public remarks, so I maybe stop looking at Trulia?
Maybe it's an Illinois thing to call condo fees assessments. Elsewhere assessments are billed along side normal monthly fees for major infrastructure projects too large or depleting for reserve funds.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/assess...ion-57821.html

Old 01-29-2023, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Barn View Post
Edgewater and Rogers Park are both bargains, IMO. However, parking is impossible so if you use a car daily, add $200 a month for off-street parking.

On the plus side, Edgewater is right on the red line, so it's plausible to manage without a car.
I would be carless so that was my hope in terms of transit accessibility, thanks!

Old 02-04-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's an Illinois thing to call condo fees assessments. Elsewhere assessments are billed along side normal monthly fees for major infrastructure projects too large or depleting for reserve funds.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/assess...ion-57821.html
We call those "special assessments." Welcome to Chicago! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago