Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 10:32 PM

219 posts, read 136,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The biggest mystery about this election to me was the demonization of charter schools. I mean people really hate those now.

I just don't get that I am so sorry. We were going to get one one in Berwyn and it fell through and I actually cried. I'm not kidding.

I think people are starting to accept the fact that we're beholden to the teachers, versus the other way around. I really don't know how else to explain this. I'm afraid that soon, magnet schools are going to join the bleep list. That will chase out wealthy families, and we need their taxes, whether the majority likes them or not.
Despite what you may here, overall charter schools don't perform better and this is after they pick who they accept and expel kids who don't meet their standards. Imagine if CPS had this option, they'd blow charter schools out of the water. I have my kid in CPS and would only send my kid to a charter school as an absolute last resort.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
https://wgntv.com/news/chicagocrime/...-teens-gather/

This city is screwed.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:24 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,189,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Just a typical day in Chiraq. You get what you vote for

Old 04-16-2023, 06:07 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,900,286 times
Quote:
Don’t worry, Johnson’s “community-approach” will solve this

This same thing (with hundreds of teens gathering downtown and shots fired) recently happened in Baltimore and Philly last week or the week before. It was mentioned on the evening news.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,702,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Despite what you may here, overall charter schools don't perform better and this is after they pick who they accept and expel kids who don't meet their standards. Imagine if CPS had this option, they'd blow charter schools out of the water. I have my kid in CPS and would only send my kid to a charter school as an absolute last resort.
I think you have a good point. Another point is that there is a lot of parental involvement in charters that may not be there with neighborhood schools.

I do have a lot of friends who have sent their kids to charters (not in Chicago) and most have had very good luck with them. I had a friend in K-8 and again in my education master’s program and I think he was probably the smartest/most talented of the bunch. He’s currently a department head at a charter and at one point I think he wanted to start one himself, but the pandemic put a stop to it. Ultimately though, charters are not going to solve the problem of disinterested and uninvolved parents.

I am from the Tampa area. For a while, one of the local districts had something called a “fundamental school”- which was a bit different from a magnet. Neighborhood kids could attend, but there was no bus service and required parental engagement at regular intervals. The kids would be ejected if the parents did not go to the meetings. The performance of these schools, which were all in a lower income area, was excellent. When the program ended, the performance dropped precipitously. The teachers who had been there ended up going to other schools and the parents in the neighborhood who had liked and participated in the fundamental school experience said the conversion was a disaster. They had bad kids in the class who did not want to participate, and there was nothing they could do about it because those bad kids’ parents weren’t interested. So yes, if CPS could offer something that isn’t a charter, it could work.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,482,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
There is plenty of counterevidence rebutting this. For example...

https://www.chalkbeat.org/2017/11/26...ond-test-score

https://www.publiccharters.org/lates...harter-schools

https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9428.html

https://chicago.chalkbeat.org/2018/1...ormance-rating

Like anything, there are many factors. Student demographics is huge. That last link talks about the lowest performing schools being in the poorest census tracts. So it'll take more creative approaches to raise the scores in those areas.

It's such a political issue that there are studies on both ends of the spectrum. In general, there are pros and cons to them, and public teacher unions oppose them. So I do not believe the Johnson administration will be friendly to charters. But there is evidence they work in some respects.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:00 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Don’t worry, Johnson’s “community-approach” will solve this

This same thing (with hundreds of teens gathering downtown and shots fired) recently happened in Baltimore and Philly last week or the week before. It was mentioned on the evening news.
Yep, it will be getting worse soon too. Mayor BJ will do nothing about this. He doesn't think there is even a problem.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:27 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,189,714 times
Quote:
Yep, it will be getting worse soon too. Mayor BJ will do nothing about this. He doesn't think there is even a problem.
Last night was just a taste of things to come. At least all those tourists have a story to tell about their visit to Chiraq

Old 04-16-2023, 11:34 AM

253 posts, read 202,462 times
Quote:
I remember this happening when I was a teen 16 years ago or so.
Although it's gotten more brazen with smashing cars and stuff after the 2020 riots

Old 04-16-2023, 03:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,900,286 times
The incident of hundreds of teens flooding into downtown causing mayhem is making national news and is trending online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvX6MyVkGKI

Another blackeye for the city in a long string of violence that has tarnished this city's reputation. It's beyond embarrassing at this point.

My friends in other cities were texting me and asking me about this.

So sick of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago