Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 07:31 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,573,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well, I think it's over, folks. So glad I got out of that shi$hole city. My old SUBURBAN neighborhood had an armed robbery today.
Yeah, early results don't look good. :-(

Look at the 46th ward...

Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,268,357 times
Millennials and Gen Z are in the driver's seat now. They're going to make the same mistakes their parents did in the 70s.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:17 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,869,272 times
Well that's disappointing but I'm hoping it'll be better than we think.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I knew Vallas' deceased son when I was younger. We were roughly the same age and two of my lower, middle, and high school best friends were good friends with him. I did not realize he had died until Paul's campaign this time around. Vallas is a political chameleon who I think earnestly favors a more moderate-to-conservative approach to public policy. I always perceived their family as relatively conservative, to be honest. I had hoped Lightfoot would have made the runoff because the woman is centrist and tolerable compared to Johnson and Garcia. However, I also felt she would be easier to beat.

Regardless, I do believe that Vallas has a decent chance. I have been telling everyone that I think that Johnson has the clear upper hand without even knowing much of anything about him. While the genuine hardline progressive base represents a clear minority of voters, I think that it will be much easier for Johnson to assemble a winning coalition of middle-income white ideological progressives and African-American voters. Vallas did not even finish top three in most of the predominately African-American wards.

In addition, those that actually vote in municipal elections do not necessarily reflect the current demographics of the city and I am skeptical that Vallas will be able to turn out the number of more moderate white, Hispanic, and Asian voters required to win. I hope I am wrong, but I think that moderate and right-leaning Chicago voters already united behind Vallas in this general and only captured 34% of the vote. With Johnson, Lightfoot, and Garcia voters, you are already at 51% of the general vote. I doubt very seriously many of those voters will shift to Vallas by the time the runoff is over.
Wow. I was too accurate. ~51%.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:41 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,563,720 times
Vallas totally lost this election rather than some wave of progressive sentiment. I voted for the guy but man was he an embarrassing candidate. As more of his pandemic-era boomer social media activity came to light it was so easy for the BJ campaign to hammer away at him. Then Betsy DeVos donates to his campaign and the piece of garbage head of the FOP starts making threats instead of keeping a low profile sealed the deal.

I knew it was over when regulars at my bar who voted for Vallas in round 1 were saying "gross" and "go back to Palos" when his commercials came on during March Madness.

Prediction - Chicago will be fine but people that no longer live here and literally OBSESS about their old city instead of being happy with their retirement home in the Villages or wherever and not comprehending that most of the city is 100x better than it was in the 70s-90s, will keep us updated on every crime that makes the news.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:01 PM

10,013 posts, read 5,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Millennials and Gen Z are in the driver's seat now. They're going to make the same mistakes their parents did in the 70s.
Well we're looking to sell our suburban home in about five years. If patterns happen in waves, that seems about the time things in the city will start racing for the bottom, and suburban housing for Zoomers grabbing their young families and fleeing the predictable results of their own policy choices will be near their peak.

Thanks Zoomer voters!

Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,190,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Well we're looking to sell our suburban home in about five years. That seems about the time when things in the city will near the bottom and suburban housing for Zoomers fleeing the predictable results of their own policy choices so their kids have a shot at a decent education will be in peak demand.

Thanks Zoomer voters!
chiraq is going to get what it deserves

Old 04-04-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Vallas totally lost this election rather than some wave of progressive sentiment. I voted for the guy but man was he an embarrassing candidate. As more of his pandemic-era boomer social media activity came to light it was so easy for the BJ campaign to hammer away at him. Then Betsy DeVos donates to his campaign and the piece of garbage head of the FOP starts making threats instead of keeping a low profile sealed the deal.

I knew it was over when regulars at my bar who voted for Vallas in round 1 were saying "gross" and "go back to Palos" when his commercials came on during March Madness.

Prediction - Chicago will be fine but people that no longer live here and literally OBSESS about their old city instead of being happy with their retirement home in the Villages or wherever and not comprehending that most of the city is 100x better than it was in the 70s-90s, will keep us updated on every crime that makes the news.
The kind of people that lose sleep over Betsy DeVos or whoever the FOP boss is weren’t going to vote for Vallas anyway. Nice try!

Old 04-04-2023, 09:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,730,117 times
Chicago is screwed. Two years and we are out.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:56 PM

17,738 posts, read 6,983,323 times
Hilarious. The fools in Chicago replaced Lightfoot with a clone or someone worse. Can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago