Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 3,820 times

Advertisements

What stores would buy them? Individual wine bottles, from the 1990s. I can't imagine a big franchise like Jewel would, so would have to be individual stores that can verify or authenticate old wine bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 12:47 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Just the bottles? No wine involved?

If they are exceptional for some reason start check with antique dealers and they will quickly tell you who deals in such items.

If they have wine in them, it is a whole different story and you have to be (legally) careful. Private buyers only.

Old 06-15-2023, 02:01 PM

Yes they will be unopened wine bottles with wine in them, as back as the 1980s. Private buyers huh.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:44 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,705,983 times
Google wine consignment. The Chicago Wine Company sold 40 cases for me and took a fair commission. I got a bid from Davis too, I liked working with TCWC better. I think it's illegal to sell alcohol without a license, be careful if you attempt to do it without a broker.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I was going to say: If there's some good red wine in it, I'll meet you in the alley behind Walgreens on Western and Lawrence. And I'll buy 1 or 2. Keep them in the brown paper bag!

Old 06-16-2023, 09:29 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palafin View Post
Yes they will be unopened wine bottles with wine in them, as back as the 1980s. Private buyers huh.

Well, i only said private buyers because it can be tricky selling alcohol There is the issues of "licensed seller" for the alcohol, And the issue of "commoduty trading" because it is originally an ag product.

Was not trying to poop on your parade, just suggesting as the poster above said, tread carefully. It seems so easy...but you don't want to make an honest mistake and have someone raise a stink.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:12 AM

In case you didn't figure it out when I said "Davis":

https://www.tcwc.com/

https://hdhwine.com/selling-your-wine/

Because both places take commission, it's best for you if you can sell to friends who won't turn you in. It's faster and easier to sell via professional companies that do it on a regular basis. I researched prices and it was a waste of time. Companies like TCWC and HDH give you estimates of what they think they will sell for based on current information. Get a bid from both companies and choose who you prefer to work with.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
In case you didn't figure it out when I said "Davis":

https://www.tcwc.com/

https://hdhwine.com/selling-your-wine/

Because both places take commission, it's best for you if you can sell to friends who won't turn you in. It's faster and easier to sell via professional companies that do it on a regular basis. I researched prices and it was a waste of time. Companies like TCWC and HDH give you estimates of what they think they will sell for based on current information. Get a bid from both companies and choose who you prefer to work with.
Okay the 2nd 1 responded, but denied. The 3 wine bottles from the 1980s did not reach their minimum consignment value. What could that be, 5k?

Old 06-18-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palafin View Post
Okay the 2nd 1 responded, but denied. The 3 wine bottles from the 1980s did not reach their minimum consignment value. What could that be, 5k?
I don't know, ask them. Keep trying TCWC, I liked dealing with them better. I'm not sure what the current status is re: consigning wines. It involves some work on their part, so if there's not enough money to be made for them, I assume they will pass on attempting to sell your wine. I gave them about 40 cases and they sold most of it. I took back the bottles they couldn't sell and I'm slowly working my way through drinking them.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:31 AM

735 posts, read 483,159 times
If they're of value, I'd try listing them on FB marketplace. I'm not for sure if alcohol sales are allowed on there, so you might have to get creative with the ad to keep it from getting zapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago