Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 11:30 AM

154 posts, read 103,529 times

Advertisements

Something I have found whilst using Google Streetview on Chicago's south-side, is the now swaths of blocks of completely desolate land that were once occupied by houses/buildings 15+ years ago. These are entire neighborhoods that were occupied just a couple decades ago, which are now complete vacant grasslands. Only the roads and some sidewalk are still in tact. All the buildings are completely bulldozed.

The streetviews from the 2000's to now are quite staggering.

See 2007 Streetview near Englewood:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7908...1664?entry=ttu

Same location, 2022

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7908...8192?entry=ttu

Englewood is obviously notoriously Chicago's most violent/dangerous 'hood. And looking at these streetviews from the 2000's you can clearly see some sketchy characters doing questionable activities in the streets.

Despite the poor state of some of these buildings, I do find it unnecessary for the city to bulldoze historic/old houses and neighborhoods, instead of attempting to fix them up and rehab them. Other cities seem to actually fix up old buildings and give them a second life successfully (NYC is the best example) but in Chicago, it seems it's just to demolish, without even really having a plan for what will go in next.

There are literally dozens of these vacant blocks on the south side. It can be seen that some have already been converted into trucking yards.

Not only is my question, why does Chicago think it's a good idea to destroy historic neighborhoods instead of trying to re-develop them.... but also, what is the plan for all of these vacant, once used neighborhoods (primarily on the south side, though there are some areas of the west side that also have a prominence of vacant lots)? Gentrification? Industrial usage? No plan at all?

It seems gentrification has been extremely slow to grow outwards on the south side especially. Maybe some day these areas could see new life residentially, but it seems unlikely for quite some time. The red line isn't far from here, so it is prime real-estate in regards to public transit. Also right off the Dany Ryan expressway. Those give it some good potential IMO for development at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 04:03 PM

147 posts, read 75,855 times
I can relate. I grew up in Jeffrey Manor on the South Side in the 50's and 60's leaving in 67. Growing up it was a "Leave It To Beaver" existence. NO crime or issues whatsoever. A kid could bike throughout the entire neighborhood for a mile and more and never worry about being harmed. Starting in the late 60's it went downhill and today is rife with drive by murders and kids killed just for being near a park. Many homes boarded up due to nobody living there. There are some famous areas (Englewood included) that have a significant history but most went to you know what from the 60's on. Many areas that began as Italian, Irish, Eastern European Jewish transformed after WWII it seems for the most part.

The South Shore and areas further south began their heyday after WWII with the advent of the GI Bill that provided so many families to begin their journeys with new homes and developments such as the Manor. I traveled much of the South Shore and further south with many great memories when it was a wonderful crime free area. Nobody ever thought about being shot. But the Blackstone Rangers sure did change that program in the 60's killing as part of their gang initiations. A poor well known toy store owner on 71'st street in the South Shore was brutally murdered by them in the 60's as a gang initiation. Hyde Park's reputation slide considerably after that period. Oh well memories are a wonderful thing, but the old adage "you can never go home" is truer than ever before where Chicago is concerned. I attended my mother's funeral who lived on the North Shore back in 2014 and won't ever return. No relatives live there anymore, and I have NO desire to return for a visit or otherwise. I'll stick to my memories when it was a completely (better) place.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:07 PM

3,087 posts, read 3,370,791 times
Seems you could begin just south of the Stevenson Expressway. Forget when the extension was built to the lakeshore. So many business & factory now long gone. Used to be giant steel mill + International Harvester. You could take in the area around Comiskey Park now Guaranteed Rate Field. 30 years later the Sox want to move somewhere else.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:02 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,332,171 times
I think Norfolk southern bought that land in englewood with the goal of turning it into a rail yard, but it's since remained vacant.

But yes a lot of neighborhoods are just neglected and left to rot and subsequently be demolished.

In NYC's case, I do think that the sheer demand for living quarters, plus it's unique topography creates a different dynamic when it comes to revitalization of its inner city, which leads to gentrification. (In other words there's not enough land and housing to meet demand which drives up housing prices)

But if you look at videos and photos of Brooklyn or the Bronx or parts of queens from 30-40 years ago, when the city was crime ridden and in a fiscal crisis, they very much resemble inner city chicago today.

Last edited by mas23; 05-06-2024 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-07-2024, 12:23 PM

3,956 posts, read 6,877,919 times
OP,
The reason any city prefers to demo abandoned buildings is for public safety and to remove barriers of entry for anybody wanting to revitalize the area. If the houses were kept up we would have squatters, arsons, murders and lots of other types of crime who will be attracted to the unmonitored buildings that sit vacant.

Hopefully someday Chicago will become a hot spot for incomers. I think we are sort of that track now as long as we can keep a balanced budget, reduce crime, and maintain work for those who live here. I don't even think the taxes are a major problem since we are still one of the lowest COL major cities in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I think Norfolk southern bought that land in englewood with the goal of turning it into a rail yard, but it's since remained vacant.

But yes a lot of neighborhoods are just neglected and left to rot and subsequently be demolished.

In NYC's case, I do think that the sheer demand for living quarters, plus it's unique topography creates a different dynamic when it comes to revitalization of its inner city, which leads to gentrification. (In other words there's not enough land and housing to meet demand which drives up housing prices)

But if you look at videos and photos of Brooklyn or the Bronx or parts of queens from 30-40 years ago, when the city was crime ridden and in a fiscal crisis, they very much resemble inner city chicago today.
Here is a perfect example of where the decimation of neighborhoods leads to gentrification in the area. Bronx in 1982 vs Today.
https://www.reddit.com/r/OldPhotosIn...e_south_bronx/

Old 05-11-2024, 10:06 AM

3,647 posts, read 8,332,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dagger View Post
NYC has one of the strongest job markets in the world and a growing population. Chicago has neither of those.
Technically they both Grew per the 2020 census.

But I include a growing market as part of "demand" (jobs, immigration, "lifestyle" migrants who just move to a city just to simply live there).

Old 05-14-2024, 03:17 PM

5,988 posts, read 13,169,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Something I have found whilst using Google Streetview on Chicago's south-side, is the now swaths of blocks of completely desolate land that were once occupied by houses/buildings 15+ years ago. These are entire neighborhoods that were occupied just a couple decades ago, which are now complete vacant grasslands. Only the roads and some sidewalk are still in tact. All the buildings are completely bulldozed.

Same location, 2022

Englewood is obviously notoriously Chicago's most violent/dangerous 'hood. And looking at these streetviews from the 2000's you can clearly see some sketchy characters doing questionable activities in the streets.

Despite the poor state of some of these buildings, I do find it unnecessary for the city to bulldoze historic/old houses and neighborhoods, instead of attempting to fix them up and rehab them. Other cities seem to actually fix up old buildings and give them a second life successfully (NYC is the best example) but in Chicago, it seems it's just to demolish, without even really having a plan for what will go in next.

There are literally dozens of these vacant blocks on the south side. It can be seen that some have already been converted into trucking yards.

Not only is my question, why does Chicago think it's a good idea to destroy historic neighborhoods instead of trying to re-develop them.... but also, what is the plan for all of these vacant, once used neighborhoods (primarily on the south side, though there are some areas of the west side that also have a prominence of vacant lots)? Gentrification? Industrial usage? No plan at all?

It seems gentrification has been extremely slow to grow outwards on the south side especially. Maybe some day these areas could see new life residentially, but it seems unlikely for quite some time. The red line isn't far from here, so it is prime real-estate in regards to public transit. Also right off the Dany Ryan expressway. Those give it some good potential IMO for development at some point.
Would you ask these same questions for cities like Detroit? Cleveland? St. Louis?

Chicago is certainly very different from the cities in rather fundamental ways. But the troubled parts of Chicago (much of the South Side) are troubled in a similar way as those aforementioned Midwest cities." Thriving and global" Chicago is like an entirely different city than "rustbelt" Chicago.

The demand to live and do business in Chicago is not to the level that would make the entirety of the city experience real estate and development boom. HOWEVER, the vast areas of the city that ARE vacant, formerly industrial, etc. particularly closer to downtown does make Chicago more affordable than its coastal peers precisely because there is a lot of "brownfield", former railyards, factory sites to build more urban housing to keep up with demand.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:29 PM

285 posts, read 151,013 times
I'm glad to see (in your 2nd picture) that what likely used to be vacant and abandoned run-down houses have been leveled and turned into empty lots.

Sadly, I see that the city takes great effort and money to mow them, but they could just as easily plant trees and keep the land as forest, maybe even make it into a large park with some hiking trails.

Baltimore, Detroit, Buffalo, and many other far-left cities need to do the same thing. Bulldoze, start over from a blank slate.

Old 05-14-2024, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 1,789 times
Chicago is a has been city. Chicago use to be peers with NYC and LA, no more. Chicago crime rates are way higher than NYC and LA too despite having a far smaller population. Houston will surpass Chicago in population within the next several years.

#1 reason is political leadership.

Old 05-15-2024, 10:14 AM

2,341 posts, read 2,948,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post

Same location, 2022

This is amazing indeed, already back in 2014 the whole block was gone despite not even in a that bad condition in 2008. Many buildings would have been salvageable. I wonder if this happened on the same scale in other neighbourhoods in the south and west side as well.
Quote:

Cabrini Green used to be violent and dangerous as well. Yet, despite the demolition of many of the high rises years ago, the Cabrini Green row homes are still there today: link on street view. So, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between over the top crime rates and demolition schedule. Cabrini Green is closer to downtown as well so more attractive for redevelopment but the row homes are still there.

Quote:
I fully agree, I would like to see the old buildings getting renovated and see the areas they are in getting revitalized. Or at least have a good plan for repurposing a neighbourhood like turning it into a park or recreational area rather than let it turn into an urban prairie.
Quote:
Perhaps open up some Starbucks's, Apple stores, Shinola bike stores, and Abercrombie & Fitch's. Hipsters would flock such areas and they would gentrify in no time. Tax breaks could be gives to these companies to open up establishments on the south and west sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago