Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 AM

596 posts, read 820,900 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me why it's a pro to be a great sports town. Is it because there's comradery amongst the fans? I'm not being sarcastic, just would like to know how "being big on sports" adds to the quality of life of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:11 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I absolutely love your City of Chicago. The nightlife in the core part of the city was very nice. Your city is very beautiful, and I will visit again soon. Sure there are cons, but Chicago have lots of pluses in my eyes.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:15 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Seems most commonly voiced pros:
-architectural beauty
-amazing summer vibe
-public transportation
-food, food, food
-great culture
-great nightlife
-great sports

Most commonly voiced cons:

-Winter
-Crime
-Taxes
-Corruption
-flat scenery
-weird city laws
-more segregation than LA and NYC

Pros and cons to all US cities.... LA and NYC will both be a give and take for these too

Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,777 times
Cheeseburgah, cheeseburgah!

And how's this for a 3 bears/3 cities analogy with a nod to Rammstein:

NYC = too big
LA = too sprawl
Chicago=Size does matter, after all
Zu groß, zu klein?
Er könnte etwas größer sein.

Last edited by jayway; 06-03-2014 at 05:05 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 05:42 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
i think i must be living on a different planet. i read endless quotes saying "winters are terrible". i end up saying "winter is terrible". or was. if i am tailing about the winter of 2013-2014, in other words, last winter.

as for the others: well, not so much. easily and often comfortably survivable with many, many days that are snow free and with mild temperatures. and, yes, we do get somewhat lower winter temp's than the northeast corridor but not all that much different. and to a californian or floridian, Chicago gets bundled up (pun intended) with NYC for bad winters. and even with our (slightly) harsher temps in winter, the east coast seems to get dumped with more snow.

yo'd have to be a real wimp not to be able to stand a typical Chicago winter and if you are suffering from cabin fever, you probably aren't cold; you're a shut in.

the paradigm that is sold is that Chicago is a frozen hell in winter; I'm not buying the paradigm because i find it patently untrue.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
Cheeseburgah, cheeseburgah!

And how's this for a 3 bears/3 cities analogy with a nod to Rammstein:

NYC = too big
LA = too sprawl
Chicago=Size does matter, after all
Zu groß, zu klein?
Er könnte etwas größer sein.
but (baby) Chicago Bear was in the middle…..not too this, and not took that. the baby bear was the golden mean.

So if New York and LA or simply too big and spread out, and almost not cities at all but more akin to a metro area.

then Boston and San Francisco are too small and lack the real critical mass for a big city

and thus Baby Chicago Bear gets to be just right.

If you wish to get away from the notion that mine is bigger than yours and that bigger, taller, richer, most, most, most is the measuring stick you should use, then you might see an ideal out there:

a metropolitan of some 9 million souls, 3 million of which live in the central city. Numbers are just numbers; they hardly tell a complete story. but these very numbers may tell a wonderful story about Chicago that gives it a wonderful edge of its own.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Can someone tell me why it's a pro to be a great sports town.
Have you ever been to a professional sports event?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Have you ever been to a professional sports event?
Yes I have, but many other cities have sports events. What's special about Chicago's sports than any other cities sports?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 AM

I always hear people saying Chicago is clean compared to LA and New York. I would say that's a huge pro.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Quote:
Yes I have, but many other cities have sports events. What's special about Chicago's sports than any other cities sports?
That's not the question I was answering. You asked...

Quote:
Can someone tell me why it's a pro to be a great sports town. Is it because there's comradery amongst the fans? I'm not being sarcastic, just would like to know how "being big on sports" adds to the quality of life of a city.
Chicago sports are exciting to attend, it's an entertainment industry at heart, but not necessarily any better than other towns. Having 2 MLB teams, 1 NHL, 1 NBA, 1 NFL and 1 MLS is nice to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago