Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What grocery store do Chicagoans shop most?
Jewel 73 51.41%
Aldi 15 10.56%
Sam's, Super Walmart 6 4.23%
Meijer 3 2.11%
Super Target 9 6.34%
Tony's 7 4.93%
Cosco 9 6.34%
Food 4 less 3 2.11%
other 46 32.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,079,974 times

Advertisements

This comment made dig up my old Phil Och's album with the classic "Love me I'm a liberal". Nobody put it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Liberal until it costs them some money. Posture rather than sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,729,505 times
Dominicks fan!

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
ALDI (yeah, baby, the cheap, but good stuff) for stocking up.
Tony's for vegetables, fruits, and meats.
Gene's Sausage shop (Polish deli at Belmont & Long) for great selection of imported Polish, German, French food. Also a great variety of imported beer and vodka! Yeah, baby - mowimy po polsku?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:58 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,811,456 times
Quote:
Whole Foods is very anti-union and contempuous of it's workers yet it's in the city. I find it ironic that so many so-called "liberals" shop at a place with such a right-wing policy towards it's employees. Liberal until it costs them some money. Posture rather than sacrifice.
It's not ironic. The "liberals" that shop at Whole Foods are typically monied, and tend to not care about labor issues. Unions have really taken PR hits in recent decades.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
What WalMart fears is a store being organized and it's workers choosing to go union. WalMart ahd already shown they'd rather close a store than have it be union.

Whole Foods is very anti-union and contempuous of it's workers yet it's in the city. I find it ironic that so many so-called "liberals" shop at a place with such a right-wing policy towards it's employees. Liberal until it costs them some money. Posture rather than sacrifice.
Wal-Mart apparently doesn't fear unionization enough to keep them from trying time and time again to penetrate the Chicago market.

As for the "irony" of Whole-Foods-shopping liberals... well, that's the symoblism-over-substance nature of self-conscious, extroverted liberalism. For that lot, it's more of a fashion accessory than a set of deeply held convictions.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
I really wish Super Walmarts penetrate Chicago and flourish here! Cheap prices and an incredible selection of food! Jewel's stranglehold has got to stop! Also, I wish Fisher cinnamon and praline pecans were sold in Chicago, as I can only get these in Houston Walmarts! So I gotta export Chicago Mercedes Benzes to my Houston connection for him to send me these pecans! Man, I'm working too hard!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 PM

44 posts, read 135,764 times
I say get rid of Sears on State St and make a Super Target for the loop dwellers.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkidchi View Post
I say get rid of Sears on State St and make a Super Target for the loop dwellers.
Use the former Carson Pirie Scott building for that!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Default I've only shopped...

...at Dominick's as a tourist looking for snacks in my hotel room; I've never been inside a Jewel's before..the main grocery chain here in Boston is Shaw's (formerly known as Star Market), although Stop and Shop is still fairly strong in Boston.

Growing up in VT, the main chain was Grand Union, which I believe is long gone, and taken over by Price Chopper, a huge chain covering upstate NY..

I have to ask, though: is there a Piggly Wiggly in Chicagoland? I've heard that it's both Midwestern and Southern, but perhaps more the latter..

Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...at Dominick's as a tourist looking for snacks in my hotel room; I've never been inside a Jewel's before..the main grocery chain here in Boston is Shaw's (formerly known as Star Market), although Stop and Shop is still fairly strong in Boston.

Growing up in VT, the main chain was Grand Union, which I believe is long gone, and taken over by Price Chopper, a huge chain covering upstate NY..

I have to ask, though: is there a Piggly Wiggly in Chicagoland? I've heard that it's both Midwestern and Southern, but perhaps more the latter..
There might be one or two that creep over the state line, but in this part of the country Piggly Wiggly is a Wisconsin thing.

ETA: Yep, just looked, there's 3 in the Chicago area (4 if you count Kenosha), all within 10 miles of the state line. There's also one in Galena IL, which is over by where IL/WI/IA all meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago