Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:06 AM

326 posts, read 470,386 times

Advertisements

in certain articles, i read about chicago law saying that "nobody over 12 may bicycle on the sidewalk", but yet there seem to be only certain places/neighborhoods in chicago, like north sheridan road, for instance, where they tell one not to ride on the sidewalk, particularly areas that have signs that say "no bicycles on the sidewalk." anyone who has any comment on this, feel free to come forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:49 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
I think that a person may not ride a bike on a sidewalk only in some wards. Places with a lot or retirees (like Edgewater and Rogers Park) restrict bicyclists to the street, or to sidewalks only for a block or only in some blocks. It can be confusing. Check with your alderman. I'm a biker and I just about never ride on the sidewalk, even downtown.

Folks need to remember that bikes have to follow the same rules as cars, particularly as to riding in the same direction of traffic on one way streets.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times
in general, if youre an adult you should ride in the street and follow the standard rules of the road. obviously some stretches might be unsafe for that, but by riding on the sidewalk you in turn endager pedestrians, which is who they are designed for.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM

326 posts, read 470,386 times
i very rarely ever ride in the street. usually, i always ride either on the sidewalk or on a bike trail. so far, i have never gotten in trouble for sidewalk bicycling, and i am a very big time biker. basically, from my own point of view, people ride on the sidewalk or a bike trail because they do not want to become roadkill. for even with a helmet, if you get broadsided or rear ended, you can still be killed or maimed (your neck can be broken!!), and illinois drivers, as far as i know, are not just horrible; they can be downright aggressive! and if one broadsides or rear ends you at 60 miles per hour, it's all over for you, helmet or not. and the driver gets away with little to no damage to his car. at least if one tries to hit a biker on the sidewalk, he risks blowing out his tires on the curb and/or even crashing into and/or getting hung up on who knows; a tree, a pole, a sign, or just about anything between the street side and the sidewalk.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
i very rarely ever ride in the street. usually, i always ride either on the sidewalk or on a bike trail. so far, i have never gotten in trouble for sidewalk bicycling, and i am a very big time biker. basically, from my own point of view, people ride on the sidewalk or a bike trail because they do not want to become roadkill. for even with a helmet, if you get broadsided or rear ended, you can still be killed or maimed (your neck can be broken!!), and illinois drivers, as far as i know, are not just horrible; they can be downright aggressive! and if one broadsides or rear ends you at 60 miles per hour, it's all over for you, helmet or not. and the driver gets away with little to no damage to his car. at least if one tries to hit a biker on the sidewalk, he risks blowing out his tires on the curb and/or even crashing into and/or getting hung up on who knows; a tree, a pole, a sign, or just about anything between the street side and the sidewalk.
you just need to take some lessons from these guys

YouTube - New York City Bike Messengers

Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
i very rarely ever ride in the street. usually, i always ride either on the sidewalk or on a bike trail. so far, i have never gotten in trouble for sidewalk bicycling, and i am a very big time biker. basically, from my own point of view, people ride on the sidewalk or a bike trail because they do not want to become roadkill.
Yeah, well I don't want to be "sidewalk-kill" either, so get your bike the hell off the sidewalk. Just today I almost got nailed TWICE by jerkoid bicyclists, and one of them even swore at ME for not watching where I was going! Hey pal, I don't have eyes in the back of my head and neither does anyone else, and in any case I shouldn't have to be on the lookout for bicyclists coming up behind me or beside me. So if you absolutely must be a jagmuppet and ride on the sidewalk where you're not supposed to be, at least warn the people in front of you that you're approaching.

I swear the next time I get clipped by a bicyclist I'm gonna knock his ass over and claim he hit me.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Seriously. Don't want to risk riding your bike on the street? Don't ride your bike.

Then again, I could get seriously hurt riding my motorcycle on the street. See you on the sidewalk. Side. WALK.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:19 AM

220 posts, read 744,413 times
Sidewalk cycling is prohibited on most of N. Clark in Lincoln Park, which makes sense because the sidewalks in that area are narrow enough anyways (even after the supposed "widening" they did 3 years ago )

Don't be a wuss....ride your bike on the street.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
well, i'm just a flat out wuss, so i don't even bother riding a bike. hah. i seriously am afraid of drivers here.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 34,303 times
I'm a wuss too, truthfully speaking. I don't think my reflexes are quick enough for the drivers in this city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago