Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 12,520 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a 32yr old single English guy considering relocating to the US for work. I am going to be working in the Midwest (near Omaha Nebraska) but would like to live somewhere where there is a bit more happening!

My company pay for a weekly flight to/from work so I am looking for suggestions where to base myself. My interests are outdoor activities such as sailing, snowboarding & mountain biking. I also like some nightlife (don't we all?!) Both Chicago and Denver areas seem to meet some of the criteria, so was looking for some suggestions of areas I should look at and general comments.

Also, if you know how long it takes to get from Denver to some good skiiing areas that would be great!

Thanks in advance. M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
Sailing/nightlife and general big-city urban lifestyle = Chicago
Mountain biking/snowboarding and more outdoorsy lifestyle = Denver

From Denver, you'll be about 45 minutes to 1.5 hours from snowboarding (depending on where exactly in Denver, time/day of week, etc.).

Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Just another thing, the flight between Chicago and Omaha would be considerably shorter than from Denver if you care. Could you get a 6 month lease and spend the spring-fall in Chicago and winter in Denver? Just seems like it would be nice to take advantage of a very flexible opportunity.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
wow you are so lucky, who do you work for? I want to work there! just kidding, but really, wow great opportunity!

I would pick Denver, but the spring/fall idea is a good one too if you could do that.

Coming from England I think you will feel more "at home" in Chicago, but Denver would be a real sort of American experience (I say this cause that is what my Dutch friends would say).

Its more like what they expect and saw on the movies....more majestic and western. Chicago is American but its not a whole lot different than London in a lot of ways.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:33 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Just another thing, the flight between Chicago and Omaha would be considerably shorter than from Denver if you care.
I don't know if I'd say that Chicago is considerably closer. Denver-Omaha is only about 75 miles more than Chicago-Omaha -- and when you take into account the Chicago traffic + inevitable O'Hare delays, I'm not sure if Chicago will still be "closer" timewise.

The 6-month idea by jessiegirl, if workable, would be great.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
I'd say Chicago. And I say this as someone who is a firm believer that civilization stops at the city limits. And often where the skyscrapers terminate as well.

Realistically, how much can you really enjoy snowboarding or skiing? I mean, ok, yes, that's nice, but after a 9-5 business day? That's a weekend thing. You can fly on the weekends to Denver and do outdoor-related activities there. But what about after work? Chicago offers you the opera, a fantastic amount of theatre (independent/improvised/college-written/etc), clubs *addendum: the real music scene is more underground and often very dangerous to get involved with*, etc. It's much more of a real city in comparison with Denver.

Go for Denver if that's what you want, but I am possessed of a deep and abiding distrust of the outdoors

Old 12-16-2007, 02:34 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
Omaha is almost exactly in between Denver and Chicago. I know, because I did the 16 hr drive with a stopover in Omaha overnight.

I lived in Chicago and the surrounding area my entire life until 3 months ago. Chicago has MUCH more to offer nightlife and culture-wise. I don't get the "urban" feel here that I did back home. I miss having options close to me in my hood. I even miss the liquor stores on every streetcorner. Denver is a much smaller city, with just not as many options. But, it really depends on what is important to you. I had tired of the nightlife scene in Chicago, and was looking for a change. When my boyfriend got offered a job in Denver, I decided to pack up and hit the road with him. So far, I've been snowboarding nearly every weekend since the season started, or doing some other activity outdoors.
The weather here is milder than Chicago, for sure. It's cold, but not nearly as cold as Chicago! Plus you get 70 degree weather in the middle of winter!!

For the OP: hitting the mountains will take about 1.5-2 hrs in normal conditions..but..expect Sunday evenings to be treacherous. Last weekend it took me 3 hours to get home from Keystone.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 PM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
Not sure of your living arrangement you will have in Omaha (based on your post)-Do you plan to have apts/condos in both places - Flying every week may get old it's 90 minute of air time from Ohare to Omaha and another 1-2 hour ground time at the airport. That means getting to your weekend city around 9 and having to leave for airport on Sunday at 3pm. I find it hard to believe any company will handle airfare and hotel in Omaha every week-- but maybe you're good!

Personally, I would suggest just the opposite - live in Omaha and take advantage of last minute fares and fly to a different city every weekend. That way you can experience Seattle, LA, San Diego, Vail, Aspen, Snowmass, Park City, LAS VEGAS, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, DAYTONA, Hilton Head, Boston, Vermont, etc.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 12,520 times
All,

Thanks for your responses and feedback. I am going to try and plan a reconnaissance trip to assess the three cities. In terms of accomodation are there any neighbourhoods that you can recommend? I would ideally look to be central rather than in a suburb and my budget is around $2000 per month. Good access to transport links would also be a bonus....but having said that a lake / mountain view would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 AM

356 posts, read 542,035 times
You can name your location at $2000/month in Chicago-- GoldCoast, Lincoln Park, South Loop, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago