Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:29 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Wolf Jockey View Post
Racism is an American problem, not just a city problem, we all know that. Having resided in 5 different regions of this country over 36 years and after experiencing a great variety of employers, neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc. in all these different places, it saddens me to admit that the place I was born Chicago IL is seemingly the most racist area of all. IMHO.

I noticed when I located outside Atlanta or near Henderson TN that the racism in the south is more blatent and, well, honest. They really don't care who knows they are racist. But surprisingly it was experienced very rarely. The west coast seemed to judge people the least based on color of their skin IMO. CT and PA seemed to be very 'closet' about their racism too, but again I did not experience it so much as I have in Chicago. The Seattle area seemed the closest match to Chicago IMO in that there was alot of closet racism there. But perhaps because Chicago is just bigger, I see it more often. Anyone who says they don't, I think they might be fooling themselves or perhaps part of the problem themselves.

There is a reputation in the Chicago that I was blind to when I lived here the first time. Maybe this form of subtle racist behavior is instilled with midwesterners from birth. It seems to run rampant here in Chicago these days, in the city that our first black president called home.

Some say the root of this problem was the influx of people who settled in Chicago from the deep south years ago, and the values have been passed down through the years. I personally think it has to do more with the segregated feel of Chicago.

Thoughts??
Segregated don't mean racist. I personally havent seen any more racism here then most anywhere else. Are there racist individuals? of course, but, individuals don't make up the whole.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:54 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
Yes. Chicago has its share of racism. However, I certainly don't think the majority of folks are racist. And I wouldn't want to take a gander at the percentage breakdown.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Over the years I have noticed that the cities with the most racism are also the cities with the most racial diversity. It's easy for people in places like Portland, Madison, and Austin to take the high road on racial issues because the minority populations there are small and they have little tension because of this. The North used to be thought of as a safe haven for blacks escaping slavery, but after enough blacks moved up here this attitude changed.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:55 AM

47 posts, read 76,462 times
Stop fooling yourself. I am also a black professional male and have lived in 4 regions of the country. And I have to disagree with your perspective. You have a problem with your hometown. That's cool and all but, it is nowhere as bad as many other places out there. Racism exist every where. Do you really think racist whites or any other racist group are mostly in this region. If you do, you have a problem. I am so tired of hearing that people in the south are up front about being racist therefore you can respect that. I grew up in the south and I can tell you this. It continues to be very racist. Just because a person is up front with their racism does not make it better. They still hate you because of your ethnicity. In fact being openly racist is worst. It says to me that they don't give a damn about you or your feelings and those indivduals are dangerous. Yes the segregation on the southside is horrible but, it also exist in Atlanta, NYC, NOLA and every other city east of the Mississippi. I was talking to a freind who lives outside NOLA. He always tell me that blacks can't get ahead down there and that poverty among blacks is the worst he experienced anywhere. I know he's right because I lived down there and my wife is from there. My brother live in Ms.. Blacks there have the largest percentage of povery in the country and other southeast state are not that far behind. In Chicago if you have a college degree you can get ahead and even thrive. There are so many brothers I know who work in the finance game as well as other respected professions.

Last edited by urbanpln; 11-28-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 12:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
As far as the south is concerned, they have had some blatantly racist incidents in mainstream society that would never happen here. A few examples:

1. High schools having separate proms for black and white students.
2. A high school principal banning mixed-race dates from high school dances.
3. A Justice of the Peace in New Orleand refused to marry a mixed-race couple.

This kind of overt racism within public life would NEVER happen in Chicagoland. People are much more mainstream here.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I don't think Chicago is racist, and as for segregated, it isn't any more so than other cities I've lived in. I live in Washington DC now, and although it is 51% black, most of that race is concentrated in particular neighborhoods. Same for whites and hispanics and asians. Which is exactly the same as Chicago. And NYC. And Los Angeles. People tend to congregate with people they feel comfortable with. That isn't a judgment against people of another race, it is just human nature to find comfort in the familiar.

And like several others have said, I don't get why being open about racism is better than being subtle or 'closeted'.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:11 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I don't think Chicago is racist, and as for segregated, it isn't any more so than other cities I've lived in. I live in Washington DC now, and although it is 51% black, most of that race is concentrated in particular neighborhoods. Same for whites and hispanics and asians. Which is exactly the same as Chicago. And NYC. And Los Angeles. People tend to congregate with people they feel comfortable with. That isn't a judgment against people of another race, it is just human nature to find comfort in the familiar.

And like several others have said, I don't get why being open about racism is better than being subtle or 'closeted'.
Even though I don't agree fully about that it isnt a judgment against other people, but, white flight here in the south side isnt the topic of discussion. But, everything else I agree with what you are saying.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Are there not like 6 threads on this topic in this forum? Why make another one and rehash everything all over again?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:16 PM

58 posts, read 185,775 times
Tis my opinion that Chicago is not full of racists. Rather, the city is full of individuals of X race who honestly believe Chicagoans of every other race are racists and untrustworthy. Therefore everyone's defense mechanisms are fully activated, resulting in probably millions of non-racist Chicagoans displaying what appears to racist tendancies when in contact with other races.

Last edited by Bone Saw; 11-28-2009 at 02:26 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,639 times
Default Chicago is very segregated

I llive in Chicago now and was really surprised to find out how racist and segregated this large city is. I was born in California but have traveled and lived many places. When going out I am surprised by the looks we get "why are they here". I'm actually leaving Chicago in March because of this. The gentleman who said the North side is diverse, not true only a few pockets. I was so excited to come here in 2004 and two years later was ready to RUN. Truly amazed at the racism. Even at work some people will only speak to you if they have to. An Asian woman came in for an interview and was sitting in the Lobby and a group of workers (caucasian) started wispering trying to find out who she was and why she was there, people are in that lobby waiting for interviews all the time and I have never seen that reaction. Amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago