Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 AM

65 posts, read 230,163 times

Advertisements

I am going to college next year. And I've visited Chicago a couple of times (I live in Iowa).
Anyway, I loved Chicago and I really want to move there and spend the rest of my life there, hopefully.
I would really like to go to college in Chicago but my parents are saying that the tuition cost of schools there are kind of expensive...
I am going to visits this year at De Paul and Loyola, but are there any other colleges that are good?
I'm don't think I'm smart enough for Northwestern or University of Chicago.

So, are there any other liberal arts schools in Chicago that would be good? Secret colleges and university that I've never heard of before...?

Last edited by JoeisSweet; 10-16-2008 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Spelling Errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 10:04 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
Uiv of IL Circle Campus should be cheap for state residents. Do your 1st 2 year at a Community College like Wright or Triton, but check if their credits transfer first. Live in district for cheap tuition at the CC's.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisSweet View Post
I am going to college next year. And I've visited Chicago a couple of times (I live in Iowa).
Anyway, I loved Chicago and I really want to move there and spend the rest of my life there, hopefully.
I would really like to go to college in Chicago but my parents are saying that the tuition cost of schools there are kind of expensive...
I am going to visits this year at De Paul and Loyola, but are there any other colleges that are good?
I'm don't think I'm smart enough for Northwestern or University of Chicago.

So, are there any other liberal arts schools in Chicago that would be good? Secret colleges and university that I've never heard of before...?
what major are you considering?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:53 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
I would look at UIC as well. I don't know if you want to attend a "secret" college you never heard of!
As for cost, many colleges offer a lot of scholarships (I know that Loyola does), so I would wait to see what your financial aid package is to rule it out because of money.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
Northeastern Illinois University - public school, north side of city, not in beautiful area and but is in the city and is ok. Not a well-known Illinois university.

Columbia College - private arts-focused school, but I think also has other majors in the humanities; gorgeous dorms, but not cheap tuition, located in a great area of the city right in the middle of everything

Lake Forest College (my alma mater, so I'm biased) - in the suburbs north of the city, very small private liberals arts school, would need to live in dorms at least first 2 years but a quick train ride to the city; expensive tuition but have a LOT of scholarships; I paid less than I would've paid to go to UIC

P.S. -- Tuition is expensive in Chicago! But once your parents find out how expensive rent, parking, and everything else is in the city the tuition will seem like nothing!

Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

89 posts, read 267,778 times
depends on your major...depaul and loyola are both really good schools and you shouldn't put them off the list until you receive your financial aid package because both of those schools give a ton of financial aid (in private grants) especially depaul (at least in my experiance) so your tuition and board is going to end up very similar to lets say UIC's tuition and board. In fact I go to NIU and my tuition and board come out to be about the same as if i went to depaul only because i dont get any financial aid at the public school I go to vs. what I would get at depaul (which I was also very interested in), I ended up going to NIU because they have a much stronger program in my major then depaul but it was a tie when it came to financials. Also cost of living is high in chicago, but i pay the same amount for my apartment in dekalb that i would pay in chicago so I would say you wont be saving money if you want your own place no matter you want to go. So what i would suggest is visit the schools that interest you in chicago and decided which one if best for your major and worry about the financials once you get the financial aid package from each school which will be sometime early next yr.
Also, if your in education i would strongly suggest Northeastern Illinois University, although it is more of a commuter school and they don't have dorms, etc. but a great public school nonetheless. Someone also mentioned Columbia College which is a great school to look into if your going into liberal arts.
Hope this helps a little, and good luck in your seach

Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Well I was thinking that I might want to be a doctor or something, so I would probably major in something easy like Communications or Physical Education, and then be in Pre-Med.
-We drove through the De Paul and Loyola campuses when we went to Chicago a couple of monthes ago and I really liked it, I would definitly go there if it was free or something...
-The cost of living in Chicago is going to be another problem I was thinking, cause i'm sure that Chicago is waaaaay more expensive than our little "ho-hum" town.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisSweet View Post
Well I was thinking that I might want to be a doctor or something, so I would probably major in something easy like Communications or Physical Education, and then be in Pre-Med.
-We drove through the De Paul and Loyola campuses when we went to Chicago a couple of monthes ago and I really liked it, I would definitly go there if it was free or something...
-The cost of living in Chicago is going to be another problem I was thinking, cause i'm sure that Chicago is waaaaay more expensive than our little "ho-hum" town.

Not to accuse you of being a slacker or anything, but come on---how scary is it to imagine a guy who wants to be a doctor but "isn't smart enough" to attend Northwestern or U of C? And on top of that you want to major in Phys ed. before going to med school? Maybe your MD specialty could be working the controls of the stress test treadmill....lol.

On a serious note, you and your parents need to sit down and discuss how much you want/can afford and set out a realistic plan. Work with your HS adviser if you need too---- but realistically nothing is for free---certainly not a good education. I went to Loyola and took on 30K in loans and it was the best money I ever spent. How motivated are you to improve your life by putting money where your mouth is and attend a top notch school? If you go to a good school and suck up the money---you'll be ahead 10 fold when your 35....

By the way, to start being taken seriously, use the spell check feature.

Last edited by lakecountylifer; 10-16-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 143,015 times
Hello, JoeisSweet. I'm thinking about going to school in Chicago too. I'm also looking at De Paul and North Park University. There are several websites you can go to and find out about the schools in Chicago: petersons.com, collegeview.com, collegeboard.com, and princetonreview.com (I think that's the right web address for princeton review). I hope this helps you out. To lakecountylifer: there is a spell check feature called "ieSpell" that can be downloaded from "iespell.com". Is this the spell check feature your talking about and is it safe to download? I want to be sure before I download anything to my sister's computer. Thank you for your answer.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 PM

Wow, sorry to offend you so much...

The reason I would want to take an easy major is because I have an uncle who's a Cardiologist with a degree in communications. He did that so he could balance the easy Communications classes with the harder Pre Med. classes.
But my aunt dropped out of college because she majored in Chemistry and the work load between both the Chemistry major and the Pre Med. classes was to much...

I wouldn't want to go to U of C or Northwestern because those schools are really competitive to get into, it's way out of our budget anyway.

And, if I go to a less competitive college I might be eligible for scholarships...

Plus, four years of college and Med School would be way more than just 30K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago